PDA

View Full Version : openMUGEN

Cap'n 1time
August 12th, 2005, 07:09
openMUGEN - a free open source version of the famed (but dead) fighting engine known as M.U.G.E.N. has slowly but surely made some amazing progress. Its not ready for a portage yet.. but its somthing to keep in mind :) . It seems to be written in SDL and is much improved graphically over the origonal MUGEN. It seems to be able to use the old character formatts from the commercial MUGEN (at least with once character). Download the Demo and play around with it.

the source is located somewhere around here.
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/openmugen/

enjoy their site here.
http://openmugen.sourceforge.net/main_new.html

Jul 11th 2005:
New Demo for linux and Windows out!!!
+Go and get the new demo with a lot of updates here a list
+Added TargetBind,TargetState, SelfState, Turn , TargetFacing controller
+Added IsBound Trigger
+Added Costume change states in hitdef controller
+Collision detection is now better
+Fixed Successive direction symbol reading and interpreting bug
+Added GuardHandling
+Added BindObject class for binding controllers
+Added Targets of the player
KFM can perform all his attacks now!!!!!!!!!!
Try his throw by getting near to his opponent and press F + y

DARKGATE
August 13th, 2005, 09:09
I don't understand, =| this is a good new, but the mugen can't go in the DREAMCAST, for problems of RAM. =| i think if DC had more RAM cuold made of all, patience. =|.

Cap'n 1time
August 13th, 2005, 14:42
I don't understand, =| this is a good new, but the mugen can't go in the DREAMCAST, for problems of RAM. =| i think if DC had more RAM cuold made of all, patience. =|.

it has should be able to make it on the DC just fine. A dumbed down version might need to be created.. but the DC should have plenty of ram to support some build of this.

Mugen never made it to the dreamcast before because the source wasnt availible.. thats the only reason really.

Cap'n 1time
September 28th, 2005, 16:41
The OpenMugen team released a video sep 18th.

It appears that all movement, special moves, etc are working for kfm. In the video the background isnt displayed nor is the health bar.. but it appears that player health is working.

dl the video here
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/openmugen/OmTest.avi?download

Eric
October 5th, 2005, 14:07
He is right about the ram thats why no one wants to complete the project. I forget what the amount is i think 6 and the Dreamcast has less then that.

Darksaviour69
October 5th, 2005, 14:32
the dc has 16mb of ram

Eric
October 17th, 2005, 13:21
N64:4 Megabytes (36 megabits) total RAM

info found at allgame.com

Darksaviour69
October 17th, 2005, 14:56
but, the n64 uses carts, and that has to be loaded into the dreamcast RAM as well!

Cap'n 1time
October 17th, 2005, 21:33
To load two character animation sets with sounds and a background, I would think that 16 megs of ram would be enough. You know.. Capcom did it alot with streetfighter games.. why couldnt Mugen do it? and hell Capcom Vs Marvel 2 had about 50 characters and 3d models in its stages backgrounds.. So im pretty sure openMugen wouldnt take up too much RAM If someone ported it properly. I know its wrong to compare homebrew with a commercial release.. but I think that comparison is actually good.

Cap'n 1time
November 20th, 2005, 16:08
Another movie which was released (yesterday) Nov 19th is between some KOF character and (my personal favorite x-men character) Gambit! It seems that the KOF character is screwed up, but it could just be a poorly made character. Also it seems that there are some transparancy issues. Anyways It looks as though open mugen is making great progress!

Check out the new movie here (56k beware!) 12 megs
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/openmugen/GambitVsJoem.avi?download

Some Dude
December 1st, 2005, 20:54
I have feeling that there is going to be a port. Alot of people want one and alot of people would be willing to put the work in to porting it until it works on the dreamcast exactly as it does on the pc.

quzar
December 2nd, 2005, 02:46
Does anyone know where i could find a set of scripts that works with the newest source? it seems that it is hardcoded to run the kfm stuff, but the ones i found for download on their site don't work. I've ported it but don't know if it runs well or not because I don't have functioning datafiles (like porting an emu without having any roms =P)

Cap'n 1time
December 2nd, 2005, 02:48
Does anyone know where i could find a set of scripts that works with the newest source? it seems that it is hardcoded to run the kfm stuff, but the ones i found for download on their site don't work. I've ported it but don't know if it runs well or not because I don't have functioning datafiles (like porting an emu without having any roms =P)

I figure they have a CVS avalible. It might be wise of you to join their forum and ask around...

I FOUND IT!
This came from some guy in their forum

You will need a cvs program to grab the sources.
On windows I don't know what programs are out there but if you already have it you can grab it with

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/openmugen login

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/openmugen co -P OpenMugen

SlyBeast
January 3rd, 2006, 07:15
I have long wanted a console port of this. I didn't know the open source project was started for this, that's great news! Hopefully one of these geniuses will figure out how to make this happen. Cheers. :)