PDA

View Full Version : Basic ZX Spectrum Emulation on PSP

alex_dsnews
August 12th, 2005, 12:39
Kind of. Using fMSX and the attached .dsk image (half way down page 2) of an ancient Speccy emulator for the MSX, it's entirely possible to run 48k BASIC at a half decent speed. Sadly, the emulator doesn't support snapshots and stuff, but it's nice to see the Spectrum BASIC prompt on the PSP screen...

Use the .dsk image I've made (zipped) as a normal MSX disk, in MSX2+ mode, then enter RUN "ROMU6.BAS" using the fMSX on screen keyboard (right trigger). And then wait about 5 seconds.

Et voila...

;)

xuphorz
August 12th, 2005, 18:33
not bad :)

wraggster
August 13th, 2005, 10:27
any screens of this working im really curious

and what games run at a decent speed ?

alex_dsnews
August 13th, 2005, 10:44
Pic attached.

MSX2Spec doesn't load snapshots or anything, so it's going to be tricky to load Speccy games, unless there's some way of packaging them onto the MSX .dsk file and hoping the emulator can access them that way.

BASIC works, mind. ;)

wraggster
August 13th, 2005, 10:46
does look cool :)

wraggster
August 13th, 2005, 10:49
Heres a smaller pic for the main page

alex_dsnews
August 13th, 2005, 10:55
Well, we don't have any choice ;)

I've actually got a pack of MSX games that are direct Speccy ports - about 25 of them, including some great classics - at the moment that's all we can use, until some bright spark comes up with an emulator. It's just a shame we can't use the fMSX emulator as a base, as it's ace...

alex_dsnews
August 13th, 2005, 11:04
Wow, this thread got on the PSP wiki quick ;)

Prepare for the abuse because it doesn't run Outrun... :)

SmashinGit
August 13th, 2005, 17:55
When I try to run this I get Device I/O error?

My fmsx emulator is all up and running and I can play games just can't get this to work, any ideas?

alex_dsnews
August 14th, 2005, 11:52
Are you using 2+ mode in the emulator? At what point does it give the error?

SmashinGit
August 14th, 2005, 14:25
Hi alex, yeah i'm using 2+ mode . I type in RUN "ROMU6.BAS" and press enter and then I get the error. I've tried it with the msxspec zipped and unzipped but no joy. In my settings I have the first rom empty and the second rom with my bios file.

alex_dsnews
August 14th, 2005, 15:29
You don't need to have the BIOS file in the rom selector though - it does that itself if the BIOS files are in the right folder. You just need to select which machine type. I assume you're using a recent version?

SmashinGit
August 14th, 2005, 20:04
I'm using fmx062b plus,

this is my file structure

G:\PSP\GAME\fmsx

in my fmsx folder I have the eboot, keyboard bitmap image, config file, msx2spec.zip, bios folder and save folder.

G:\PSP\GAME\fmsx\BIOS

in my bios folder I have

msx2pect, msx2p, msx, msx2, msx2ext

When I start the emulator up these are my settings,

MSX TYPE MSX2+

ROM 1 0 Generic 8kb
ROM 2 0 Generic 8kb

DRIVE A
DRIVE B

When I go to config at the top of the first menu I've set the wallpaper keyboard and changed the clock speed.

I go back to the first menu and click on power.

I use the right shoulder button to bring up the keyboard

and I type in RUN "ROMU6.BAS" and press enter and then I get the Device I/O error

Oh yeah when the emulator starts up it has MSX BASIC version 3.0 on the top of the page.

alex_dsnews
August 14th, 2005, 20:08
The .dsk is in, though, right?

SmashinGit
August 14th, 2005, 20:15
alex_dsnews
PSP Coder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The .dsk is in, though, right?

in where? lol!!

alex_dsnews
August 14th, 2005, 20:17
MSX2Spectrum - the .dsk file that's in the attachment in the first post of this thread? That's the disk with the actual emulator on, mate. You need to have that in drive A before powering on.

SmashinGit
August 14th, 2005, 20:25
I click on drive a and I have this

BIOS
MSX2SPEC.ZIP
SAVE

I scroll down to MSX2SPEC.ZIP and it goes red, I click on it but it doesn't see any .dsk file , all I have is ..

ms0:/PSP/GAME/FMSX/MSX2SPEC.ZIP/

alex_dsnews
August 14th, 2005, 20:31
Hmm. The attached ZIP doesn't seem right in the first post. Try this one instead (attached).

SmashinGit
August 14th, 2005, 20:51
Thanks for the new file, that is now showing up in drive a as

ms0:/psp/game/fmsx/spec.zip/spec.dsk

So I power up the emulator and type in RUN "ROMU6.BAS" and I still get that error, lol!!

I tried RUN "spec.bas" and RUN "spec" , I eved tried Load "ROMU6.BAS" but it still doesn't work.

Don't worry about it mate, i'll just have to wait for that elusive spectrum emulator.

SmashinGit
August 14th, 2005, 20:52
Oh yeah and thanks for your help.

alex_dsnews
August 15th, 2005, 09:02
No idea then mate, it's definately working on mine... Sorry!