PDA

View Full Version : Emulator Backgrounds: Console Look v1.0

kaltar
August 13th, 2005, 05:43
Hi Guys,
I've Been Enjoying The Emus Since 95, and Now With The PSP I Take Them With Me! (I Used A GBA With A Flash Card Before, But This Is The big deal)

I Wanted To Contribute With Something, So I Made This Backgrounds, Icons And Sound For Emulators With A Classic console Look. Hope You Like Them.

If Someone Knows How To Make PMFs Or How To Loop AT3 Files, Let Me Know!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE NOV 26, 2005: Added The Atari Lynx Background, Since Handy PSP Is Out!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE JAN 1, 2007: Added The Gameboy Advance Background. Now Version 1.2 Of The Big Zip File. Since I Can Only Post 10 Files Per Post, Here We Will Show Only 9 Of The Backgrounds.

wraggster
August 13th, 2005, 10:30
those look great :)

Random
August 13th, 2005, 10:48
Currently: Unless you have the PSP SDK and programming knowledge...theres no way to make PMFs. I have the ones made from another PSP Site (Dunno if I'm allowed to say it or not...I guess just PM me) But I'm sure everyone else has those PMF's as Bloodsack uses them in his thread.

I took created my own backgrounds and such. I have a great big theme which I'll release when its completed.

As far as looping AT3's...I don't think that even matters...how long do you let it run anyway? LoL That's just being picky.

Other than that, nice backgrounds for homebrews. Do you have matching icons/text(pic0.png) to go with it?

jambox
August 13th, 2005, 16:03
Those are awesome backgrounds! I've been working on my own for the past few days, I'll post them here when I think they look decent enough.

Bloodsack
August 13th, 2005, 16:17
Hi Guys,
I've Been Enjoying The Emus Since 95, and Now With The PSP I Take Them With Me! (I Used A GBA With A Flash Card Before, But This Is The big deal)

I Wanted To Contribute With Something, So I Made This Backgrounds, Icons And Sound For Emulators With A Classic console Look. Hope You Like Them.

Know one has figured out how to loop the at3's yet. I've tried for days when I got the program for at3's. No luck :( It really doesn't matter though....Your playing the emulator for the games, not what the beginning of the emu looks like. I know it looks cool :cool: but hey....You can't have everything :p

and on the PMF's. Theirs only 5 of them. Sony & their developers are the only ones that can do PMF's. Theirs no program for making them either. Just the 5 floating around the net.

Your Backrounds look nice.

kaltar
August 13th, 2005, 16:24
Well, I'll Wait Till some Tools Are Released For The PMFs.

And Yes, They Have Custom Icons And Sounds =)

Here are The Icons If You Are Lazy To Download the File (That Has The PMFs And The AT3)

Wich Other Emulator Is Really Used (and Works Now) To Make The Background And Finish this Series? any Suggestion?
--------------------------------------------------
Jan 1 2007 - Icon For Gameboy Advance Added

logicbomb.de
August 13th, 2005, 18:15
WOW! excellent job on those emu BGs!

been meaning to register on these forums for a while, but seeing your top BGs, i just had to sign up to say how much I like em.

Keep up the great work!

kaltar
August 13th, 2005, 19:10
Thanks!
I Assume That I Have To Keep Them Comming Now! ;)

orochi-x
August 13th, 2005, 19:50
Those are great!

NeoGeo CD icons would be a welcomed addition to your series ;)

kaltar
August 13th, 2005, 20:01
I Added The Gamegear Background. (Its Attached On The Top Of The Thread)
And Also The Button (In The Buttons POST). I Removed the Zip Package Cause I'll Wait A Few Until I Release all The Backgrounds Together (Since They Are Already Posted Here, Except The AT3)

I'll Be posting The NEOGEO CD Back Soon.

UnderHill
August 13th, 2005, 20:42
great lookin backgrounds buddy :)
i hope you make one for the amiga ,it would look awsome

kaltar
August 13th, 2005, 21:05
I added The NeoGeoCD Background (The First Post On the thread) And His Button (In The Buttons Post)

Amiga? mmm I Wanted To Keep It Console Related. I Just Imagine An Amiga And Think In all those Nights Making MODs... Ahhh The Times!... Let Me See What I can Do...

Now, I Need Help With Something. Im going To Make The AT3 For all The Backgrounds, And I Want To Use The exact sound The consoles Made.
So Far, I'll Just Need Help with The NeogeoCD Music. Anyone Care To Share A Short MP3 With Original Sound From The NeoGeoCD?

kaltar
August 13th, 2005, 21:43
I Added The Amiga Background... Plus I Modified A bit the Gameboy One. And That's All For Today...

kaltar
August 14th, 2005, 05:01
I Have A Question: Seems that Everything In This Place Is A Bit out Of order.
Where Is the Place to See Other Emu BGs? Everything Is Handled By threads Only?

Farcicalname
August 16th, 2005, 22:22
Is there a guide as to how to use these? I can't find one.

ihatethiscrap
November 7th, 2005, 19:59
SICK Sick Sick i tell ya nice Icons And Bg's Im working on a remake of The Duck Hunt Game In Lua For The Psp Based on Super Mario Insted Of The Ducks and The Dog poping up i got It Themed Out For Mario Bros Keep a look out for it ! Lata

kaltar
November 7th, 2005, 20:22
Is SICK Good? Or Bad?

I've Heard Slick, But Sick??

Oh! When You Finish Your LUA Game And You Like The Effect Of My BGs, I Can Send You the Photoshop Template =)

DarkForce
November 13th, 2005, 15:42
superb work thanks :D (yeah when something is sick, it's bad :P in other words pretty f*cking cool )

Jdemon
November 13th, 2005, 18:22
Very nice work kaltar :D Thanks for sharing.

BTW is there a Turbografx 16 EMU for PSP :confused: I don't see one listed anywhere.

kaltar
November 13th, 2005, 20:54
Yes, There Are Three! Remember that Its Name On Japan Was PCEngine. So, They Are Listed As PCE Emulators

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/

Good Luck!

jwilds73
November 14th, 2005, 05:45
So how do you replace the Kxploit background and the icon with these files for your programs? I have my EMU's and other programs running fine but how do you "imbed" sp? these backgrounds and icons with their respective programs?

kaltar
November 14th, 2005, 06:34
Use Sei PSP Tool. Is A Great Program. Google And Download It! You Can Put The Backgrounds, Icons, AT3 Files, etc...

SmashinGit
November 14th, 2005, 08:52
Anychance you could make some for Commodore 64 and Spectrum?? :D

jwilds73
November 14th, 2005, 09:11
ok the AT3 file is a sound file that plays when you scroll over the icon? I had the NEO GEO CD EMU on here and it had sound when you were over the icon and the background came up. So does that mean I can convert audio files to AT3 and imbed them also? If that is the case I'll hunt done some of the system's or games for the system's music files and convert them to AT3. Like having the Sonic Green Hill music file playing when over the Sega Genesis icon etc?

Jdemon
November 14th, 2005, 14:17
Thanks kaltar, I had no idea that was the Japanese name for it...always wondered what that was too.
@ jwilds73 pbp unpacker is also quite simple to use and understand: http://www.pdc.me.uk/pbp/ It's all I've ever really used...I should check out Sei's PSP Tool also one of these days.
I posted this thread (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7372) a while back for anyone interested in more info about AT3 but yeah, still no luck making a loop file like the pros.

kaltar
November 14th, 2005, 18:43
SmashinGit: Actually I Wanted To Keep It Console Related Only... Do You Really Use Those Emus?? I Mean, A Spectrum???? hehe Maybe If There Are More Requests =)

jwilds73: As Jdemon Says, It Seems that There Are No Tools To Make The AT3 Files Loop correctly Without The Developer Tools For PSP. If You Find Out The Way, Please Post The AT3 File and We Will Update The Packages. However, The Most Important Thing Is To Make The Video... I Put The Sound Files Of The Consoles Making The Audio Dump From Emulators, So There Is No Problem Making Those. But The Video... Thats What We Need!

jwilds73
November 15th, 2005, 01:10
Ok I got Sei PSP Tools and it wont recognize my eboot file (only on some eboots) it keeps giving me an error that it's not a valid file. This same file works fine with Kxploit but not with Sei. Also the hide folders option works great only one of my EMU's wont work with it on. So I'll try another EMU for that system. There are a fee other minor things but other then that everything else is working fine.

jwilds73
November 15th, 2005, 02:36
Atari Lynx EMU is working good would be nice to have the images and sound for that one also.

kaltar
November 15th, 2005, 05:36
Is The Atari Lynx Emu Running Full Speed?
If so, I Would Make That One, Of Course! I Sold My Lynx A Year Ago... Its A Huge Brick compared To The PSP ;)

kaltar
November 26th, 2005, 23:39
ok. Just Created The Atari Lynx BG...

As A Comment: I Would Love To See A place Where All The Latest Status Of WORKING Emus Is Clear! =) I Dont Have A Clue Which One Is The Best SNES Emu Right Now... Anyway... Enjoy!

Kaltar

F2DaR176
December 16th, 2005, 21:30
How do u put the ._.DS_Store file in the eboot?

kaltar
December 17th, 2005, 02:11
Haha.. Sorry, that's A File that the apple Computers Put On the Files... Just Skip It.

THE_SANE_DUDE
December 22nd, 2005, 02:31
Excuse me, im just new to DCEmu

I'm just wondering where i could get a copy of the GBA Emulator and a SNES Emulator if there is one?

thoto
May 13th, 2006, 06:58
just wondering, could you make one for the gameboy advance and n64? they're still abit far off but it cant hurt can it?

kaltar
May 13th, 2006, 07:42
Well... I don't own a PSP anymore :( When I started making the backgrounds I did it for everything they ask me too, but not anymore =( Sorry.

However, If somebody is interested and has photoshop skills, he can continue the backgrounds and I'll provide the Photoshop File With all The layers.

IWantMyMTV
December 19th, 2006, 17:11
Kaltar...don't know if you still haunt these forums, but if you see this, I would be interested in the Photoshop File and layers...

The backgrounds and icons are awesome...and I want to make one in the same style for the GBA now that the emulators are running full speed...

Thanks for the hard work and artistry...much appreciated here...

You can e-mail the files to [email protected] if the offer is still valid...

Thanks again...

kaltar
December 21st, 2006, 15:17
Thanks To The Email Function Of The Forum :)

I'll Contact You Via Email

kaltar
January 1st, 2007, 18:27
I Added The Gameboy Advance Backgrounds (More Than 1.5 Years After the First Release :)

Hope They Are Ok :)

I Actually Have A Question... I Can't Find the Audio files I Added In The First Release, And I see They are Not In The Current Package. Someone Has the Release 1.0? So We Can Extract The Audio Files. I Really Don't Remember Much About That! Seems So Long Ago I did It!

Greg_Alexander
January 1st, 2007, 20:36
I love your backgorunds, just perfect! Official logos, an image of the unit and/or it's joypad. slightly faded, so the emus options can be seen, Perfect. :D
I have a couple of requests: Can you make one for the Amstrad CPC & Atari ST computer emus.

kaltar
January 2nd, 2007, 15:22
Hi Greg. For The "Console Look Backgrounds" The Idea Is To Make This To Game Consoles Only... The Amiga Is An Exception :)

Thanks For The Feedbak! :)

IWantMyMTV
January 2nd, 2007, 17:59
Thanks for the GBA icon and background, kaltar. I'm with Greg...the artwork is perfect...and you're a classy person to boot.

You're a real benefit to the PSP community. Super helpful without any of the snide superiority that some people have who've been on the scene longer...

kaltar
January 2nd, 2007, 20:46
Thanks For The Comment Dave (IWantMyMTV) :)

BTW, If You Can Test It, Feedback Is Still Needed I Dont Know If It's Too Much To the Left The GameboyAdvance In The Background. If There Are Any Other Consoles That Are Being REALLY being Used By Many, Let Me Know...

I Am Really Not Sure Of The Icons... I Saw Them Yesterday and Im Not 100% Happy With Them. Maybe Just The Official Logo Of The Console Would Look Better and Cleaner. What Do You Think?

baracki96
January 2nd, 2007, 23:26
Awesome backgrounds Kaltar, especially the GBA.

Tetris999
January 2nd, 2007, 23:32
i must say now im going to be using these things!, it pimps me emulators out, :D

Xtreme03
January 2nd, 2007, 23:45
These are really cool icons and backgrounds. Good work sir.

IWantMyMTV
January 3rd, 2007, 02:37

Looks great kaltar...I don't think it's too far left on the background image...it's about the same distance over from the right edge as the NES and Gameboy backgrounds...looks good as I scroll down through your other backgrounds and icons...

And I don't think the icons are too busy...just right...the Genesis badge is horrific but that's not your fault...Sega made a big, ugly silver logo...

I think what I like the most about your set is that it reminds me of the actual hardware...I had an NES, a Genesis, an SNES and a Gameboy...seeing the hardware is almost like getting the console and the control pads out...and then there's the actual game running almost flawlessly on an emulator...it's like a time machine (except I eventually have to put it down and go to work)...

I think the icons (including the latest) look great...thanks again...

You had the vision...and I'm sure it took a while to find those pics of the hardware...

kaltar
January 3rd, 2007, 15:03
Well, The Pictures Are Easy To Find. The First Background Is The More Time Consuming One Cause It Defines the Rules. The Others Are Done Waaaay Faster Cause I Know Exactly What Effects To Apply To Everything, Even The Inclination Of The Background Hardware ;)

I Wanted Feedback Cause I Have No More PSP To Check How It Looks, And Sometimes The Images Doesn't Transform correctly To The PSP (The "Interlaced" Lines Of The Background Can Look Horrible In Some Cases). That's The Most Important Thing :)

As You Just Said Dave, I Wanted Something To Remind Us Of The Hardware. I Hated To See All The Backgrounds Related To A Certain Game, Instead Of the Console! And Don't Make me Think About The Times I Could Play Without going to work! I Miss That! thanks For the Feedback.

Shrygue
January 3rd, 2007, 15:08
Those background pictures are brilliant. Just looking at the Game Gear and the original Game Boy images bring back memories of when I first used them in 1995. Those were the days.

kaltar
January 5th, 2007, 22:09
Those Were The Days ... Wait A Minute! Did You Said 1995? Were You Frozen The Previous 6 Years? The gameboy And The Atari Lynx apeared in 89! ;)

Thanks for the comment :)

tru2m3
January 10th, 2007, 03:01
I have been looking all over for GBA icons....excellent work. Thanks!!:D

gdf
January 10th, 2007, 13:41
those pics are cool, especially the NES one.

kaltar
January 10th, 2007, 15:15
Ok, I Just Got Another PSP :) And Thanks To Dark_Alex, I Made It 1.5 :D. I Wanted To Put quickly Some Emus To Test, So I Went To PSP-Vault And Downloaded One Package Called "Best Homebrew Pack". To My Surprise, All The Emus Have The "console Look" Backgrounds :)

Thanks GDF. It's Eating Me Inside: Who Is Your Avatar? Looks Like Ocelot From MGS.

dejkirkby
January 10th, 2007, 15:17
I thought it was Ocelot too.

Bytrix
January 10th, 2007, 15:43
Any chance of a MegaDrive (or MegaDrive 2) (the European Genesis) background? hehehe

Not that it matters, I'd just rather see a picture of a good ol' MegaDrive 2 than a Genesis.

kaltar
January 11th, 2007, 03:29
Good Old MegaDrive 2? That Was After The Genesis Was Out! But If I Do that, Then the Request For the Famicom Family Starts Coming Out! :( And The Turbografx Becomes The PC Engine, And Mario Becomes マリオ.

Solution: Lets Keep It Simple and Well Done :)
Is there Any Emulator That Is At Least 90% Functional that Doesn't Have A Background In The Console Look Series?

Bytrix
January 11th, 2007, 12:23
Yeah well the Genesis was just called MegaDrive in europe and they later brought out the sleeker looking one (but basically the identical console). It's just I'm used to calling it a MegaDrive :p

Good work with the pics :thumbup:

sakamoto
January 11th, 2007, 23:00
@kaltar: because you only make logos for almost perfect emus. which is the best gb/gbc emulator available for the psp? tx

sakamoto
January 11th, 2007, 23:39
nevermind. it's definately rin 1.32

kaltar
January 13th, 2007, 22:28
Good To Know :) I Really Haven't Played With It Yet. It's Been A Week Since I Got A PSP With 1.5 Again (Thanks To Dark_Alex's Downgrader) So Im Really Just Starting to See What Was done In 2006 :)

Xepheros
April 2nd, 2007, 15:25
Hey kaltar first of all i love your work.
can you make a n64 one too that would be awesome. also can you make me a custom background with my name Xepheros in it something to do with psp Thanks man

kaltar
April 3rd, 2007, 01:12
Hey kaltar first of all i love your work.
can you make a n64 one too that would be awesome. also can you make me a custom background with my name Xepheros in it something to do with psp Thanks man

Sorry Xepheros, but no personalization. Let's keep it useful for everyone!

About the N64 one, Is there a really working N64 Emu already?

Triv1um
April 3rd, 2007, 10:11
Yes there is, the is R10 (check the psp news forum, you will see it there, its a new release)

its slow, but its getting there.

weirdelf
April 3rd, 2007, 10:14
Apparently Mario 64 is fullspeed on frameskip 1

Triv1um
April 3rd, 2007, 11:20
No its not, its pretty good without sound.

With sound, it needs some work.

weirdelf
April 3rd, 2007, 11:25
Your probably right, I haven't tried it yet.

kaltar
April 3rd, 2007, 22:39
Ok, I'll Find My Time This Weekend To Do It :) I Wish I Could Replay Perfect Dark In The PSP... But I Doubt It Will Happen Soon.

anorhc
May 29th, 2007, 03:07
I'm loving this. Any chance of there being a NeoGeo Pocket? I want to have it match the rest of the emulators. :)

Rubiconz
June 14th, 2008, 21:28
I know this is an old thread but here goes anyway. These are brilliant backgrounds and I was wondering if there is any chance for a Sega Master System Icon set or the Atari 2600,5200,7800? They all have perfect emulators and need the beauty of this talented artist.

borobows
July 23rd, 2008, 18:30
Hi Guys,

UPDATE NOV 26, 2005: Added The Atari Lynx Background, Since Handy PSP Is Out!
UPDATE JAN 1, 2007: Added The Gameboy Advance Background. Now Version 1.2 Of The Big Zip File. Since I Can Only Post 10 Files Per Post, Here We Will Show Only 9 Of The Backgrounds.

Hey man,

CONGRATULATIONS !

Very nice works !

What about making backgrounds for others PSP emulators, like N64, NeoGeo, Sega MasterSystem, and Atari 2600 ?

Since your post was sent long time ago, nowadays it's easy to set videos and music... get in touch...

thx.

kaltar
July 23rd, 2008, 19:51
Thanks borobows, anorhc and Rubiconz.

As you know, I haven't been able to do anything PSP related. I haven't played it in years! I even forgot how to put on my own Backgrounds! Can you believe this??? (the last thing i did is to mod my Wii, so the PSP is collecting dust)

However, I'm still willing to help you guys by releasing the PSD photoshop file so you can create new ones, However, the terrible advantage is that it will create tons of new Repeats, some crappy, and others crappier just because someone thought the current ones were not as cool or that needed some pokemon hanging out in the image... you know.

So, if someone of you guys in this place knows a bit of photoshop, and are willing to work on my template and RELEASE THEM AFTER I APPROVE EACH NEW IMAGE (Quality Control!), you are welcome to contact me. After seeing that you did some good work, I can completely pass the control to you. I just want that the new ones keep the current "classic" look.

If nobody can help, I'll try to make some time to help you anyway.