PDA

View Full Version : Quake 3 open source within the week!

Mourningstar
August 13th, 2005, 23:37
In his QuakeCon 2005 keynote, John Carmack revealed that after some delays id is finally ready to release the complete Quake III source code for use under the terms of the GPL. He could not give an exact date, but was confident that this would occur "within a week". Currently id is making sure everything is licensed correctly and everything builds, and as soon as that is complete the whole package will be set free.

Carmack also noted that he is looking forward to some day seeing somebody ship a commercial title, probably a budget game, under the GPL. He'd like, for example, someone use the Quake III source to complete their own shooter and ship it with the full source code included on the CD. Carmack expressed frustration with people who get overly protective about code that is largely built on the work of someone else.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=365710

Does this mean what I think it means?

Kaiser
August 14th, 2005, 00:14
John Carmack is simply a nice guy. Creating a Port would be tough for the PSP I imagine. Wi Fi Q3 battles sound insane though.

UnderHill
August 14th, 2005, 02:42
psp quake 3 online :eek:
q3 was the best online game for the dreamcast ,id love to see it ported

*o*
August 14th, 2005, 04:16
could it be done?

isnt quake3 and half life anegine the same?

Shiaoran
August 14th, 2005, 05:16
dunno...
I'd like to play bid for power (the DBZ version) in the PSP ^^

sarla1596
August 14th, 2005, 05:52
whoa whoa whoa are they saying that u could port quake 3 to the PSP and play it online?!? please tell me if im wrong here, that sounds sooo freakin awesome though!

SaRlA

p4ch3c0
August 14th, 2005, 07:44
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_3
The system requirements are:

3-D Hardware Accelerator with full OpenGL® support , Pentium II(R) 300 Mhz Or AMD® 350 Mhz K6®-2 processor or Athlon® processor, 64 MB RAM , 16 MB, 500MB of free hard drive space, 100% DirectX 3.0 or higher compatible sound card , Quad-speed CD-ROM drive (600 K/sec. sustained transfer rate)

It might be possible to use 32MB of RAM to run it, but it would probably be slow without full hardware acceleration... I'm not sure about the processor though. Of course, the 500MB of free space won't be a problem if you have a 1 GB/+ memory stick, and the 4x CD-ROM drive shouldn't be a problem since memory stick to PSP transfers are faster than 600 KB/s (I think).

RedKing14CA
August 14th, 2005, 08:04
i have a 1gb card, and yeah, i have 256mb of random access memory, and doom 3 requires 512mb of it, yet i can still play it, its just slow at parts with like, more than 5 enemys, ya know? so requiring 64, and accually have 32 should be cured with some graphics sacrifices and such... and i think quake 2 was better, quake 4 looks promising

shizzle
August 14th, 2005, 10:29
quake 4 looks like doom3 which was lame imo.

Cap'n 1time
August 15th, 2005, 02:16
omg people. just... shutup! ahhhhhhh!!! its great that quake 3 is going opensource... great for the xbox! the chances of you seeing q3 on psp are next to nothing. perhapes quake 2 though...

Mourningstar
August 15th, 2005, 02:20
omg people. just... shutup! ahhhhhhh!!! its great that quake 3 is going opensource... great for the xbox! the chances of you seeing q3 on psp are next to nothing. perhapes quake 2 though...

Hey, I didnt say it could happen....I was just wondering if that meant it was LEGALY possible. ;)

But since you mentioned Xbox, I bet it does end up on Xbox eventually.....I miss my Xbox. :(

Cap'n 1time
August 15th, 2005, 02:24
Hey, I didnt say it could happen....I was just wondering if that meant it was LEGALY possible. ;)

But since you mentioned Xbox, I bet it does end up on Xbox eventually.....I miss my Xbox. :(

man. i hate to go off topic. but did enemy territory run off the quake 3 engine?! how ****ing cool would it be to play some ET on the xbox :p

tryqus
August 15th, 2005, 04:05
Doom III wasnt lame, at least not in my opinion. The first time I played it, with all the lights off mind you, it scared the hell out of me. Some parts were erie. Some parts were exciting, like when you coming back from the lower sections and "something" trys to get at you through the door. I was wondering if i should shoot, or run? If the door would hold, or crumble under the creatures demonic might. Or when the dog thing first shows up, it took me a second to realize that the glass had shattered and there was nothing between it and me. Maybe its due to my avid imagination, but these games really get to me. Half Life 2 was better, but not so much evil as it was strange and erie.

Anyway, Im not sure if a quake III port will run well, but its definitly plausible. I ran Elite Force (used the quake III engine) on a 266, onboard graphics, and god knows how little ram. Sure i had to run in 640x480 , but it was still fun. The key to getting Quake III to run would be to make use of the hardware in the psp, something that is becoming a reality with the sort of mixed rendering we're starting to see in emulators and other homebrew. Emulationing a system usually take 10x as much cpu power (mhz) if your using software rendering. Who knows what can be done if we can throw some hardware rendering into the equation. Quake PsP (the Quake 1 port) currently runs at a pretty playable speed, and it uses software rendering (if im not mistaken). Is a port Plausible? You bet you ass it is :D .

ET runs off the same engine as Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Doom III lame? I think not! Please correct me on anything ive said thats incorrect, i hate when that happens.

-Tryqus

Cap'n 1time
August 15th, 2005, 15:41
ET runs off the same engine as Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Doom III lame? I think not! Please correct me on anything ive said thats incorrect, i hate when that happens.

-Tryqus

RTCW runs off of a modified version of the Q3 engine. ET does also.. but the files are availible... so I believe you should be able to release it as a mod via the quake3 engine once its compiled.

and Doom 3 wasnt lame... the Multi Player was a little bit bland, but I loved the campaign mode in doom 3. I usually beat games really quickly, but doom 3 for me was a toughy :)

chronoswing
August 16th, 2005, 08:06
toughy? I don't see what was so hard about that game. "Pick up item, monster spawn, shoot at dumbass monster who sits in one place and tosses fireballs." Thats about the whole game right there. I understand it was supposed to be doom, and it succeeded in being just like doom 1 and 2. Except better graphics. But honestly I was expecting a little more than a remake, which is essentially all doom 3 is.

Cap'n 1time
August 16th, 2005, 14:38
toughy? I don't see what was so hard about that game. "Pick up item, monster spawn, shoot at dumbass monster who sits in one place and tosses fireballs." Thats about the whole game right there. I understand it was supposed to be doom, and it succeeded in being just like doom 1 and 2. Except better graphics. But honestly I was expecting a little more than a remake, which is essentially all doom 3 is.

I dont think you ever played doom 3 if you thought that the AI was dumb ass or if you thought it was essentially a remake... there were NO relationships between the previouse games and the new one except mabey the weapons and a few monsters.

Also, some of us only believe on playing on the hardest mode of games rather than wasting our time on easy crap.

Onetonbullet
August 16th, 2005, 17:30
Co op mode rules too...

tryqus
August 16th, 2005, 18:15
A remake? Did you even play the game? If your talking about the zombie AI...well honestly do you expect zombies to think up sophisticated strategies?

"Yeah uh groaing zombie #2 we want you to try and outflank the guy when he comes in, while zombie #3 groans in the corner in an attempt to distract him. Meanwhile zombie #1 will repel from the ceiling down onto him, everyone understand what their supposed to do?"

*groans*

"Great!"

Now I'll admit farcry's AI was a bit better, but in no way was the AI in Doom 3 terrible. Doom 3 has some of the best scripted gameplay ive ever seen. Almost as good as Halflife 2.

Quake III is still installed on my pc, I play it every once in a while when I want some really fast pased action. On a psp? That would be extremely fun.

-Tryqus

sarla1596
August 16th, 2005, 18:38
yea about that QUAKE3 engine release............................

Cap'n 1time
August 16th, 2005, 20:31
I think the engine could perhapes be ported. this would be great for 3d game development... but i doubt that all the content of the full Quake3 will ever make it to the psp.

creoleplane
August 18th, 2005, 03:20
Quake 1 was by far the best. Q2 was just an insult to Q1. Once PacManFan gets Q1 working better I'll be the happiest psp owner in the world.

Jaeboy
August 21st, 2005, 11:44
The source is out!
http://dlx.gamespot.com/pc/quake3arena/moreinfo_6131579.html

Blaze RT
August 21st, 2005, 16:01
Dark Forces III also runs off the Q3 engine, That is an awesome multiplayer game...but my disk got scratched and I cant play anymore. Someone should look into formating DFIII.