PDA

View Full Version : Video and audio messaging coming to the PSP?

wraggster
August 14th, 2005, 11:38
Following on from the addition of a web browser and wireless photo sharing in a recent software update to the PSP, Sony is now considering a host of new functionality for the console - which may include the introduction of a camera.

Speaking to Japanese magazine Famitsu in an interview partially translated by US website GameSpot, SCE software platform development boss Izumi Kawanishi revealed that he is currently planning a new style of messaging application for the PSP.

"We're currently considering [the implementation of an e-mail system], but we want to think over the fundamental concept behind e-mail," he commented. "We think it would be great if people could communicate together with the use of video and voice."

In order to achieve this, the PSP would have to be equipped with a camera and microphone - leading to the conclusion that Sony must be considering the creation of an EyeToy style peripheral for the system.

Another key new piece of functionality which is planned for introduction on the PSP in the near future is support for streaming video off the internet - allowing users to watch movies without having to save them to Memory Stick - and digital rights management (DRM) technology which will pave the way for paid-for content on the system.

Until DRM is in place on PSP, few media publishers are likely to allow their content to be distributed in PSP-friendly formats online, which will reduce the potential usefulness of the device as a portable media centre.

leggy
August 14th, 2005, 17:32
The PSP gets better and better! :-)

Shiaoran
August 14th, 2005, 18:43
it was made to azz**** nds, and it's doing it well ^^

yah_mon
August 14th, 2005, 21:39
I dont think that they will make a camera for it. Its portable, and nobody wants to carry around all these little attatchments for it.

consoul
August 15th, 2005, 03:07
A prototype camera was shown at trade shows long ago.
It attached to the PSP and plugged straight into the mini-USB at the top, so it's not like you'd have to carry it separately.

Shiaoran
August 15th, 2005, 05:58
I dont think that they will make a camera for it. Its portable, and nobody wants to carry around all these little attatchments for it.

u sure are outdated...

there's cellphone cameras with about 4x6mm

Cap'n 1time
August 15th, 2005, 16:53
u sure are outdated...

there's cellphone cameras with about 4x6mm

yes, but as they are built into the phone, they dont fall off and break :p

Shiaoran
August 15th, 2005, 17:50
what i'm saying that it can easily be a 4x0.5cm camera that connets into the usb port and gragbs into those holes to secure it, kinda like some GBA/SP acessories

PSP_Newbie
August 15th, 2005, 22:10
i agree, if they make one, it will be pretty small and convenient, as they already made the psp to support a camera with the 2 latches on either side of the usb port for easy attachement, so it wont be exactly so you would need to "carry a bunch of attachements" everywhere, it'll just be a tiny one on top....here, found one, dunno if its real, but they could make one like this, or even smaller http://www.gadgetmadness.com/archives/psp_camera.JPG

Shiaoran
August 16th, 2005, 09:53
i know they can make it WAY smaller, just give them a time... sony might release a oficial one as well (i've heard that it'll even come with a mike)

Valiant
August 16th, 2005, 18:26
wow that would be awesome! (since I dont have a camera phone), having a psp around would be convenient...plus I would bet that the quality would be much more crisp.