PDA

View Full Version : My Movie Conversion Guide from DVD to PSP

Jdemon
August 14th, 2005, 14:56
I posted this on sony.psp newsgroups a little while back, so if you have an NFO of this exact same thing floating around on your PC don't tell me I copied it, I'm the one who wrote it. :D

This is a quick rundown of the conversion method I'm using. Everyone seems to find a way that works best for them and this is "My Way" at the moment for ripping from DVD to PSP. I do intend to write a full tutorial eventually which will include re-sizing for the proper aspect ratio on some films and anything else I can think of.

DISCLAIMER - I am on Windows XP Home version, I'm not sure what issues
may be involved with other OS I assume that if these programs work for you
that there shouldn't be a problem.

The settings for PSP Video 9 at the bottom can obviously be used to convert mpeg, avi, etc as well and give IMO great results.

Programs Needed

---- SmartRipper v2.41 * Other versions will probably work just as well
---- PSP Video 9 v1.33 * Again this is the version I'm using, not sure what problems may arise with later versions.

Load up a DVD in your drive and start it with something. WMP works fine. If you don't play your DVD with something then SmartRipper may have problems recognizing/unlocking it.

Start up SmartRipper Set your "Settings" like this:

Movie >

Key - Check = "once"
File - Splitting = "max-filesize"
Under max-filesize Set div to "0" and set the MB to 9999

Files/Backup >

Again Set Key - Check to "once"

Make sure you set the "Target" output folder since this is where your VOB will extract to.

Click "Start" and let SmartRipper do it's thing. It shouldn't take too long (15 min?) before you have an extracted VOB file. I highly suggest playing the file with something like Power DVD or WinDVD once it's on your PC just to check and make sure it ripped ok. You can also delete everything but the VOB that SmartRipper created. If you like you can re-name the file if you want to see the actual name on your PSP once your conversion is done.

Now just start PSP Video 9 and convert the file. I won't get into the setup for this program but I will explain the settings I use. You may want to alter some of the settings but just make sure you save your Profile so that you can just load it up next time rather than change the settings every time you use it. It may also take a few tries to tweek things just the way you want them. I use a 1GB MS so I tend to go for quality over size conservation.

If you want to get a smaller filesize note the settings I've marked *** these are what you will should change to reduce the size.

Under "Setup>Profiles"

Video Settings:
Resolution : 320x240
Framerate : 29.97fps
Bitrate : Variable 640 kbps ***
Min/Max Rate : 0 / 0

Audio Settings:
Bitrate : 80 kbps ***
Channels : Stereo ***
Sample Rate : 24000 khz
Volume : 180%

***** Passes : Two *****

This is very important for the quality of you file...I know it takes almost twice as long but the results speak for themselves. If your PC isn't so fast I recomend ripping all your vobs first and setting PSP Video 9 to work on the conversions overnight while you sleep :)

Make sure you name your Profile and click "Apply" on the bottom right.

Hope this helps some of you out :D

***one final note***

I have come accross a situation with some DVD's. I tried ripping "The Animatrix" and also some Beastie Boys videos off the Criterion Collection set. The rip went fine BUT the default audio track wasn't the right soundtrack that I wanted. On the Animatrix it was in Japanese and on the B-Boys it was the "acapella" version of the song. So just be carefull with multi-tracked DVD's.

ptr.exe
August 14th, 2005, 16:23
Isnt this technically illegal as you are copying a DVD? even if it is only to a memory stick.

Shiaoran
August 14th, 2005, 18:45
no copies are illegal if u have the original thing and use the rip for YOUR entertainment ONLY

wraggster
August 14th, 2005, 18:46
ive never had any succcess encoding any film :(

ptr.exe
August 15th, 2005, 15:36
no copies are illegal if u have the original thing and use the rip for YOUR entertainment ONLY
That's American law, this is a UK site. British law states it is illegal to copy any copyrighted media for any purpose.

i don't really care, and have no objection to it but technically it's illegal (in the UK at least)

Cap'n 1time
August 15th, 2005, 16:46
That's American law, this is a UK site. British law states it is illegal to copy any copyrighted media for any purpose.

i don't really care, and have no objection to it but technically it's illegal (in the UK at least)

I DID NOT KNOW THAT! do you know of any documentation that says that? Id like to read up on that.

stainesmassif
August 18th, 2005, 02:03
Erm, is it ok, if I use a different ripper?

Jdemon
August 20th, 2005, 00:25
:o Sorry, I was honestly unaware of the legality of the situation in the UK. It's my understanding that here in the US as long as you have purchased the DVD you are entitled to do as you wish with it barring public viewing or distribution in any form.

leggy
August 21st, 2005, 16:30
It is a stupid aspect of UK law that you can't 'back up' your film / music incase you damage the original!

F34R
August 22nd, 2005, 01:56
:o Sorry, I was honestly unaware of the legality of the situation in the UK. It's my understanding that here in the US as long as you have purchased the DVD you are entitled to do as you wish with it barring public viewing or distribution in any form.

That is incorrect. You cant bypass the encryption, on encrypted dvd's, just to make a copy. Thats illegal.

Sec. 1201 (a)(1)(A) of the DMCA includes this language :

No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.

The UK has similar protections via the Anti-Circumvention Rules of the European Union. You can read that information here :
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032498.htm

and specifically refer to the following section :
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032498.htm#24

That pretty much kills Fair Use that could previously be argued.

Kaiser
August 22nd, 2005, 07:44
That is incorrect. You cant bypass the encryption, on encrypted dvd's, just to make a copy. Thats illegal.

Sec. 1201 (a)(1)(A) of the DMCA includes this language :

No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.

The UK has similar protections via the Anti-Circumvention Rules of the European Union. You can read that information here :
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032498.htm

and specifically refer to the following section :
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032498.htm#24

That pretty much kills Fair Use that could previously be argued.

Well in that case this deserves a sticky.

RedKing14CA
August 22nd, 2005, 09:01

**** you!!!

the psp is illegal in the uk!!!

edit- i have dvd decrypter, ive been watching dvd's on my psp since i first got it back in march, or was it april? even though i had the 32mb stick, i put pink floyd's the wall on it... it was awsome, took up about 24 mb, because it was about 4 minutes long.... but it was in the highest quality.... but then i got a 512mb card in april or may... the thing witht he different lingo 'n' stuff is easily corrected with dvd decrypter, you just check which sound you want, i always choose english, stereo, not surround, unless i plan on using headphones...

Tomppa
August 31st, 2005, 15:17
They start selling it tommorow everywhere at UK it can't be illegal you prick'o

darenl
November 26th, 2005, 20:45
how many movies can you download to the psp with a 1 gig stick??? avg avi being 700mb

vincesecuricor2005
November 27th, 2005, 14:11
well the movies i do with my settings weigh in at around 200mb so id say around 4-5 on 1gb stick