PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on bricked? psp

maliusmaximus
February 23rd, 2008, 13:44
Gday, I've spent the day researching this and I'm still not sure on a few points. I can't find any relevent threads that tie everything in together so I'm going to have to make a new post sorry.

My friend has a PSP slim (2006 model running cfw) and he recently updated to Sony Firmware 3.90 (official).

Obviously this resulted in memory stick games being unplayable. Also some features of 3.90 now appear in the XMB (ie: internet radio) and some don't (ie: Skype).

Running DAX 3.90 m33 or m33-2 doesn't work (m33 gives message of current version already installed. M33-2 gives 80020148 "game could not be started" error). Heres my first two questions:

1: Is it bricked? Most things work fine, just can't access games on MS and also Skype.

2: I think the 80020148 error has something to do with the UMD ISO mode. If I can change that then I think I can get the m33-2 software to work. Is it possible to do this whilst running the vanilla 3.90 FW? (Tried holding down select whilst on xmb and also tried r-trigger on a cold boot. No dice)

I have another slim psp running 3.71 m33-2. Also have Lumines and GTA Liberty city stories on another MS (have seen them mentioned in other forums). Is this useful? Should I be looking in to Pandora?

Basically I think we just need to backdate the
firmware so we can run DAX's 3.90 m33-2 update

Thanks for your help

hodgy47
February 23rd, 2008, 13:49
You cant update to CFW from OFW you need to use despertar v3 or v4 to get back to custom firmware. Also give your mate a slap on the head for installing ofw when he already had custom (foolish boy).

maliusmaximus
February 23rd, 2008, 14:03
Cool thanks for your advice. I had already downloaded despertar but the process in his documentation seems a bit convoluted and my instinct was that there should be something safer and more simple considering the psp is working normally (more or less).
So despertar is the only option for ANY psp with official 3.90 firmware?

hodgy47
February 23rd, 2008, 14:05
Yes your only option, but its safe cos its a universal unbricker so nothing can go wrong. or download the upms installer from upms project and use the psp with custom firmware to install it very easy all done from the psp and it a handy peice of kit to have.

maliusmaximus
February 23rd, 2008, 14:17
Awesome thank you. If I ever get good at this stuff I'll be sure to come back to these forums to provide advice. Thanks again.