PDA

View Full Version : I'm a noobie to this and I have a stupid question

iamsquid
August 16th, 2005, 13:05
Hi Guys,

Feeling really stupid asking this question but this seems to be the site to do it.... Do I really want to change my firmware from 1.5 to 2.0. I have a jap version of the PSP and it seems that if I upgrade my firmware I won't be able to use homebrew games (I think this means games made by you guys and others like you as apposed to liecened content.) I have just bought a 1gig mem stick so was thinking of putting a couple of emulators (Love the old amiga format and want to play speedball 2 - probably a little more info than needed) and some games but seems like I won't be able to do this if I upgrade...very confused as to why I should upgrade?

Argon0
August 16th, 2005, 13:34
It seems that the main reason for upgrading to 2.0 is to use the Web Browser built into it.. But with Web Browsers being available as homebrew (OK they need some work) I'd not be too worried about this...

The real trigger to upgrade will be when a game you REALLY want comes out that requires you to have 2.0... (assuming that the game won't be "crackable" to run from an iso image...)

iamsquid
August 16th, 2005, 14:33
Thanks for that - it's pretty much what I thought - I have a browser on my phone and on my laptop - can't see the point of putting it onto my games machine, espcially as it takes away so much of the PSP's ability...

I'm an old skool gamer - I want speedball 2 (Amiga emulater) a chess/backgammon game....I would never dream of putting an illegal downloaded game onto my psp (Ahem) as it is illegal and frowned upon by this site....I like the possibilites though...

I have one more question - in a lot of the guides it keeps talking about needing to connect the psp via a usb lead, I have a SOny laptop with a slot that is a card reader - do I need to connect through the USB lead - is there more functions I can acsess on the PSP but only through a USB lead or is putting the card into the reader and adding stuff through there good enough?

Guys this is an amazing site - thanks for helping me...

chronoswing
August 17th, 2005, 01:55
Memory card reader works just fine. The usb cable is for people who don't have a reader. But in a way I suppose its more convienent to have the usb cable because then you don't have to keep popping the card out of the psp and into the laptop. Thats about the only advantage, if your interested you can pick the cable up at EBgames for $10. But you really don't need it if you already have the card reader.