PDA

View Full Version : Need help with running emulators...

Ultimate_Coconut
July 14th, 2004, 13:05
Alright, I just got my DC, and I really want to get some emulators on a disc. The problem is all I have tried has failed... I've been trying to get the DSNES emulator to work, but everything (Nero images, DiscJuggler images, SBI, Pike) has gone down the tubes... The only thing I've burnt that worked is the Utopia Boot disc... What am I doing wrong?

Darksaviour69
July 14th, 2004, 19:41
well, u need to tell us more.

lets make it simple, this is a homebrew game (a good one), this will be a test
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/dcastle.shtml
download "review Version Self Booting Nero Image"
now i'm guessing u have nero burner, (if u have version 6, u will have problem, but we can get round that)
burning that image and out it in the DC, see if that works. then we will go to the next step

Ultimate_Coconut
July 15th, 2004, 07:59
Okay, I tried it, but it didn't work. I think I have one of the Dreamcasts that won't allow a disc to be played if it has an audio file brfore the data. I've seen instructions for a work around, but I think it was too complicated for me... Anyone want to put it in simple english how to fix my problem?

By the way, I have the Nero v6 demo... I also have Alcohole 120 now.

Eric
July 15th, 2004, 08:07
i would post the site but i think its illegal as i am illiterate i have no clue here is what i just found on there site

A message from Alcohol Software .com
For clarity the following message comes from Alcohol-software.com, a trading style of Fubra Limited, and NOT Alcohol Soft, Paul Pullen or their associates.

"Following legal advice it would appear that it would be of very doubtful legality for Fubra Limited to continue selling Alcohol 120%.

Therefore we have decided to terminate all such sales and activity on our domain site (www.alcohol-software.com) effective from today the 30th of June 2004.

Whilst taking this advice we were also advised to warn any of our visitors who have downloaded software that circumvents copy protection that any use of the software may now be illegal in your country following wide reaching recent changes in the law in the USA and throughout the EU. Because it is a complicated matter we advise you to seek your own legal advice to satisfy yourself as to the legality of all your software if you have any concerns.

Although we have discontinued sales, we understand that the developer, Alcohol Soft, is continuing to offer sales and support from their own site. However due to UK law we are unable to link to it from this domain site as it could be seen as an advertisment. This should not be taken as advice, and is for informational purposes only.

We are sorry that we have had to take this action and can assure you that we are now working on a number of exciting new software products to help you make the most of your computer which won't hopefully involve complex legal problems and we will be launching them on our site in the coming weeks.

We thank you for your support over the past few years and hope this news doesn't come as too much of a disappointment. We will be back very soon bigger and better.

Very best wishes,

The Alcohol Software Team!"

Ultimate_Coconut
July 15th, 2004, 08:11
Well, I knew I saw that message, but I got it from an outside source...

Eric
July 15th, 2004, 08:17
that was from there homesite in North America they also wont be selling in EU except for the UK

curt_grymala
July 15th, 2004, 10:21
someone posted that over at DCEmulation a few weeks ago, and it was determined that it was a hoax.

Darksaviour69
July 15th, 2004, 15:56
ok, your useing the nero 6 demo, there is a problem with nero 6. if u have nero 5 , it should work fine.

this topic should help if u have to use nero 6
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1089594972

Ultimate_Coconut
July 15th, 2004, 20:50
I figured it out... Needed to burn TAO instead of DAO... One question though: What kind of roms does FrNES support? I tried .nes ones, but the read failed.

Eric
July 16th, 2004, 07:48
it might be a hoax but i did go to another site where it was blocked cause it had to do with Euro copyright laws and it would have been taken off now if it was a hoax it says closed in june of 2004

Emulation_Chief
July 16th, 2004, 23:00
Hello:

Here's some help for you and all who's interested. Let's start using DreamSNES as example to this tutorial I will give you.

1. I use DC Factory to burn most of the emulators for DC. Go to dcemulation.com Needed Tools section to download the program. It contains a setup wizard. Just Install it and keep your online service open. After install the program, open it and will search automatically the web to download updates.

2. When you start DC Factory you will see Dr. Robotnik showing the name of the product and you will see at the bottom window the downloading process. After that, a screen with a guide appears. It contains 4 buttons. The first one says "news"; the others, in this order, "tasks", "scripts"and "exit".

3. Click on the "scripts"button to access the script updates. It allows you to create your selfboot image with the latests versions of the emulators available for Dreamcast. This screen is very intuitive. Explore it.

4. When everything's done in the script section, click on the "tasks" button on the toolbar. You will see a screen with all the emulators that the DC Factory support. At the bottom of this screen you will see the buttons "perform task"and "download". The "download"button allows you to get the emulator version used by the program to create the appropiate selfboot image. DC Factory will tell you before starting the image process if the ZIP files are the ones required or not.

5. Let's select DreamSNES. Click "perform task". A Wizard will guide you to the selfbooting process. It ask you for the emulator, the ROMs, Special Features of the emulator (if any) and what kind of image you want to make and where it will be placed on your Local Disk.

6. This is the tricky part. You can make a CDI image or NERO image file. The NERO file that DC Factory makes is probably a DAO image. I used CDI image. I never make Nero images. You can try if you want. CDI images can be burned with Discjuggler or Alcohol 120. After selecting the image type, click the button on the Wizard to start the process. It'll take a while. Just be patient.

7. When the process finished, you will see a progress bar fill from beginning to end and the button "close" will appear. Click it and close DC Factory.

8. Now find on your Local Disk (for example, C:) the disk image. If you made a CDI image, you can find some good tutorials on how to burn images on dcemulation.com or on dcemu.co.uk.

9. This is the last and most important part. Once the image is burned, you can test the CD on your DC. You will be surprised with the results. Another thing. Sega manufactured some Dreamcasts with a BIOS modification in order to not run CDs. Most of those models were manufactured from July 2000 and later. To check the date, simply turn your DC upside down and read the silver label. Hope yours are not from those dates. Anyways, don't give up and make some testing.