PDA

View Full Version : SNES games run slow?

nickolasj80
February 29th, 2008, 21:02
I am using Snex 0.4.2.

Most games only run at about 20-30 fps, and look kinda choppy. Is this normal?

I have tried all the different engines, and the only one that speeds it up is 'PSP Accelerated', however when you use this mode, it seems to remove textures, ie, grass on a soccer field just looks smooth green, instead of seeing the grass.

Am I doing something wrong?

Prasoc
February 29th, 2008, 21:07
20-30 fps? that is about what the human eye can see..

SSaxdude
March 1st, 2008, 00:44
Games that use the SuperFX chip tend to run slower with SNES9X for the PSP. Simpler games, such as Super Mario World, run full speed with sound. Also, make sure you are using SNES9X .42 ME edition. The ME edition was created for firmware 1.5 (also works with any CFW) and uses kernel mode so the games run faster.

DanTheManMS
March 1st, 2008, 02:20
I'm not a PSP guy really, but I've heard that having this "CWCheat" thing enabled really screws up performance, so if you're using that, make sure you disable it before launching the emulator.

Also make sure you've got the snesadvance.dat file there to provide speedhacks for specific games.

mike_jmg
March 1st, 2008, 02:37
just tweak the settings until you get it playable, specially cpu speed to 333mhz, and the frameskip. Engines work diferently on diferent games, some play better on accur than on accel or viceversa

Ultimate warrior
March 1st, 2008, 03:52
Super mario world works perfect? I get extreme lag in boss fights whenever I play that game...

bah
March 1st, 2008, 06:18
Which boss fights?
I just played the first one with no slowdown.

SSaxdude
March 1st, 2008, 06:32
I've never had to use any speedhacks to get SMW to run full speed, as long as the CPU is set to 333 mhz.

bah
March 1st, 2008, 06:48
The snesadvance.dat file that comes with the emulator has speedhacks for mario world already.

You can see 'speedhacks found' as the ROM is loaded, I've never added any codes to the file. I tried a bigger file from somewhere else once and it made games crash so I went back to the included one.