PDA

View Full Version : Looking to optomize my SNES emulator.

Ultimate warrior
March 1st, 2008, 04:07
I'm using SNESX9 ME version. One thing I noticed is that this emulator runs far faster then the older version of SNESX9. However, I am having issues with the sound. It seems to me that the sound simply crackles, a lot, when I play any of my games. Also, the emu still seems to lag on certain parts of some games heavily (Like bosses in super mario world). Anyone want to help me on how to optomize this emulator's performance? It's a really good emulator I admit (Still though, I'd like to see a PSP specific one made in the next couple years or so). But anyways, until then, I wanna optomize my emulator. I know you can change the graphics engine and framerate but are there any other options? Especially the crackling sound. That is driving me up a ****ing wall.

EDIT: This emu can play FF 6 not too bad! YAY!

jxx2005
March 1st, 2008, 04:13
snes9xTYL-0.4.2me_fw3x is the best one i've used so far

bah
March 1st, 2008, 05:39
Why not just try changing options one at a time and seeing what effect they have?
There isn't that many, and if it bothers you so much....

I just played mario world up until the first boss and there was no slowdown while fighting him.
Where in mario does it chug really bad for you?

I wouldn't hold my breath for a better snes emulator. It's doable but I haven't heard of anything in the works.
A surprise release like picodrive would be amazing, don't be expectant though.

Ultimate warrior
March 1st, 2008, 06:32
Yeah, the entire fight just slows down to a crawl, including the music. What settings were you using?

EDIT: It was from a super mario world hack so any speedhack that could be applied wasn't. Even still, it wasn't any different then a normal boss fight so I don't know why it slowed down so much.

bah
March 1st, 2008, 07:05
Try a proper release of SMW then.

I haven't changed many settings I can remember:
Video menu:
Engine: PSP accel. + accur. soft.
Video Mode: zoom wide
Frameskip:Auto (works fine with 1 or 0 also)

Sound menu:
Output Freqency: 22050Hz (Mess with that value and see if it effects your sound problem)

Misc menu:
PSP Clockspeed: 333Mhz

Ultimate warrior
March 1st, 2008, 15:56
Tried the 1 frameskip and it fixed the problem mostly (although still not perfectly the boss fight lags but not as much). Still had the lag with a proper SMW release however (without applying the 1 frameskip, normally leave it at 0). Maybe I should leave my frameskip at AUTO for every game? Anyways I tried to lower the sound quality and that didn't work like you suggested. Maybe we have different ME versions?

My SNES emu file name is: snes9xTYL-0[1][1].4.2me_fw3x

DanTheManMS
March 1st, 2008, 22:49
Tell me the CRC of the SWM hack (or better yet, an IPS patch file for it) and I'll create a speedhack for it. Before you do that however, you can try merely copying SMW's entry and changing the 8-character CRC at the very beginning to match the one you have, as there's a good chance this will work. If it doesn't, I'll make a new entry for it.

Ultimate warrior
March 2nd, 2008, 03:41
Dan, even with a speedhack for the regular SMW, it still lags horribly at boss battles (and in that one part of the game at the end where you need to tuen on a disco ball light thing at the top of the screen to see better.) However, I have a request. Could you make speedhacks for a couple more of my SNES ROMs?

DanTheManMS
March 2nd, 2008, 04:13
If you tell me the titles, I can look into them when I get the time. Keep in mind most major games have already been speedhacked, but I'll take a look regardless to see if there are any modifications that can be made.

Regardless, a frameskip of 1 really isn't all that bad, so see if you can get used to it.

bah
March 2nd, 2008, 04:33
I don't see why it would run worse for you than me. I can play SMW with frameskip on 0 and it runs pretty damn well.

I am running the original snes9xTYL-0.4.2me.rar on a fat PSP running firmware 1.5.

The 3.xx version isn't slower somehow is it?
I wouldn't have thought so, does it say 'speedhacks found' when you loaded the proper SMW ROM?

Ultimate warrior
March 2nd, 2008, 05:29
Mine is by Chilly Willy So I don't know if that is the original or not, cause heard there are several ME versions....

EDIT: It does say that speed hacks are found with the proper one.

Legend Of Zelda Parallel Worlds

Brutal Mario

Super Demo World the Legend continues

The Second Reality Project 2- Zyclooboo's challenge

Super Mario World the Second Reality Project

Super Mario World Master Quest 5

Final Fantasy 6, 4, and easytype version of 4 (The Japanese versions of the games)

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=main

and ROM hacking .net have the IPS patches. Of course I could just PM them to you if you like. How exactly do speedhacks work? My ROMs for the Final Fantasy games are all just the titles, with no special other parts of the names so don't worry about that. Any other things you need from me just PM me.

DanTheManMS
March 2nd, 2008, 06:24
Speedhacks are simple in theory. The SNES runs at a fixed 60 fps. In a game, when all the work is done in a frame, the game enters an idle loop until it's time for the next frame to come along. If we can find the instruction that tells it to enter the loop and replace it with an instruction to skip the loop, we can increase speed by a good amount. I basically run through a frame or two instruction by instruction to find when it enters that loop and replace it with the correct instruction to skip it. I then move to a different portion of the game and repeat the process to see if that section uses a different loop. More info can be found in the speedhacking tutorial at snesadvance.org if you're interested.

I'll look at those games sometime, but I won't have any more time this weekend, just a forewarning. If the games run in my normal debugging tools (SNES Advance debugger and Snezziboy debugger), I'll be able to test the hacks myself. If they don't run, I'll have to use the SNES9X debugger and you'll have to test the hacks for me to make sure they work.

I may need the CRC32 of some games, or the title after being run through the GoodSNES renamer, but if I do I'll PM you.

Ultimate warrior
March 3rd, 2008, 05:35
Dan, I don't know if this would mean anything to you, but I think it's the backgrounds that are causing the slowdown. I fought another bunch of bosses that didn't use the type of background like Ludwig's, or roy's (the type where the walls slam down and he climbs up them and attempts to drop on you from the ceiling) and they didn't lag like bosses that used the black background did. I'm pretty sure that it is the background. Same thing for the lamp. As soon as I turn it on, major lag. Also, I've never actually tested something for someone before so this is kind of exciting. If you need me to test other speed hacks or anything else, let me know!

jxx2005
March 3rd, 2008, 18:30
i use snes9x-tyl 0.4.2 or whatever
and it runs super mario RPG very well
only minimal slow down