PDA

View Full Version : Help - Trying to play a game from Japan

StrugglingDad
March 2nd, 2008, 16:59
HI Guys - go easy with me - I'm as it says a struggling Dad who trying to understand stuff on this forum which is like a foreign language to me!

Here's the deal - I have a son with Learning Disabilities who is big time into Dreamcast and has bought off ebay Godzilla Generations - its NTSC-J.

I've been trying to understand various posts, but it seems to me that somehow I can get this game to play on his Dreamcast ? Its a UK model.

I've tried something called Utopia - but after 6 or 7 disks I've realised either I'm doing something wrong or it can't do what I want.

Sorry for the extreme novice question! :(:confused:

Elven6
March 2nd, 2008, 17:17
Their are actually a ton of great homebrew boot disks that work better. The Downloads section is down, or else I would have linked to them. I don't really remember the exact name of the program, but mabye a google search might help.

Or you can wait until someone who know more about this program replys, but until then google could help.

JKKDARK
March 2nd, 2008, 18:21
You need a modchip or a boot disc (utopia, cd-x demo, gameshark)

fackue
March 2nd, 2008, 23:49
Download the CDX demo - http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=85751

Download BootDreams - http://dchelp.dcemulation.org

Extract the CDI image from the CDX demo archive then install BootDreams.

Once BootDreams is installed, go and open it and drag and drop the CDI image into BootDreams' GUI and the appropriate task will be selected with your CDI in the textbox. Put in a blank CD-R and click Process. Burn the CDX demo at 8x or slower. Then select the Drive you put a blank CD in.

Once it's burned put it in your Dreamcast and start a game without codes. At this point it will have you swap out the CDX demo with Godzilla. Do not turn the Dreamcast off.

That's it :)

StrugglingDad
March 3rd, 2008, 08:04
Thanks for the feedback - I've managed now to get Utopia working but when I swap from the utopia disk to the godzilla disk the screen goes black and nothing happens. Any thoughts?

StrugglingDad
March 3rd, 2008, 09:44
Download the CDX demo - http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=85751

Download BootDreams - http://dchelp.dcemulation.org

Extract the CDI image from the CDX demo archive then install BootDreams.

Once BootDreams is installed, go and open it and drag and drop the CDI image into BootDreams' GUI and the appropriate task will be selected with your CDI in the textbox. Put in a blank CD-R and click Process. Burn the CDX demo at 8x or slower. Then select the Drive you put a blank CD in.

Once it's burned put it in your Dreamcast and start a game without codes. At this point it will have you swap out the CDX demo with Godzilla. Do not turn the Dreamcast off.

That's it :)

Unless I've missed something the attachment to that link is missing. When I click on the demo attachment I get the message

The selected attachment does not exist anymore.

The file ./files/9012_36b4f997167c66b6e091b4becd63dd6d does not exist.

Christuserloeser
March 3rd, 2008, 23:04
It's true. The attachments over at DCEmulation.org were broken during an update of phpBB. They now work again, but all previous attachments are lost....

StrugglingDad
March 3rd, 2008, 23:50
Thanks for the feedback - I've managed now to get Utopia working but when I swap from the utopia disk to the godzilla disk the screen goes black and nothing happens. Any thoughts?

I think this question may have got lost because I posted after it

Ginza
April 3rd, 2008, 15:10
I think this question may have got lost because I posted after it

same problem. "insert backup", it says - so i insert a japanese disc, the reindeer turns silver and then...the screen goes black and nothing happens.

fackue
April 3rd, 2008, 16:41
Unless I've missed something the attachment to that link is missing. When I click on the demo attachment I get the message

The selected attachment does not exist anymore.

The file ./files/9012_36b4f997167c66b6e091b4becd63dd6d does not exist.

It's fixed, actually, it's been fixed for a few days. I must've forgotten about this post.