PDA

View Full Version : how can i create an eboot

bacalacadaca
March 3rd, 2008, 06:11
I've been wanting to play the die hard arcade game but since there aren't any emulators to make it work i was wondering if it can be converted to an eboot.

any ideas if its possible?

Video_freak
March 3rd, 2008, 06:17
It's not as easy as converting it to an eboot. Since it's not a PSP game, you WILL need an emulator for it. You'll need something to convert it from whatever console it's from to something your PSP can process. That's what emulators do.

jxx2005
March 3rd, 2008, 06:45
some times
people scare me
you'll need a MAME (multi arcade machine emulator)
plus a working version of the rom for said emulator
then a PSP version of that MAME
and then
JUST MAYBE
you can play that game on a PSP

bacalacadaca
March 3rd, 2008, 06:57
yeah i have that but the game is only for neogeo arcade or sega saturn cd im not a complete idiot you know im just trying to learn more

bah
March 3rd, 2008, 08:12
The only way to actually port a game/application is to have access to the source code.

A game is basically 2 parts:
'Game assets': the artwork, sound, level design etc.
'Engine': the code that makes the computer/console actually do what it does with those assets.

You may have heard of doom mods, this is when people modify the 'game assets' to create a different game, but using the doom 'engine' to do all the work of running the game.

Source code is a copy of the program in the format that programmers can read and write. It is then put though a special program called a compiler which turns the program's instructions into the specific 'computer language' of the hardware you want it to run on. In this case the PSP.

Commercial games almost never have their source code released as the company wants to keep it under their control, in case they want to charge people for it again later.
The only major company that releases it's source is ID software (doom, quake etc). This is almost entirely due to their lead programmer, John Carmack, and his dedication to contributing to the programming/gaming communities. The man is very well respected both for his programming skills and his willingness to release the source code for free once the game it is based on is getting old.
We have brilliant ports of Doom, Quake etc on the PSP thanks to him doing so.

Because of all that, emulators are popular.
They are a program that 'pretends to be' the hardware that the game is meant to be run on.
Using a SNES emulator as an example: it works by creating an environment that mimics (emulates (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=emulate)) that of the original SNES hardware.

Because of this, you can take an unmodified copy of the original game data (a ROM) from almost any game for the SNES and run it on the PSP. The source code is not needed because nothing in the games 'engine' is being changed. The PSP is using its extra processing power to pretend to be a SNES instead.
This is less efficient because the PSP has to work hard pretending to be another system, where as a program that is re-written for the PSP makes full use of its extra power.
The reason emulators are still so popular is that it is much more practical for someone to write 1 good emulator that allows every SNES game to run on the PSP than it is to individually re-write ever SNES game to run on the PSP.

So, in short:
You cannot port a commercial program to the PSP (make an eboot) unless you both have access to the source code and are pretty good at programming, because you will have to modify it to run on the PSP's hardware.

darthhaze420
March 3rd, 2008, 14:54
why you guys cant be nicer i dont know but hey if it is a neogeo arcade game you can get mvspsp NJ has made a neogeo arcade emulator it is available at this site with instructions on how to use it he also has made cps1 and 2 all with ad hoc mode for mutiplayer fun i hopw this helps and guys remember we were all Newbie's at one point or another

technomike
March 3rd, 2008, 15:32
I love Ad-Hoc mode on emulators.
The best thing is, a recent GPSP mod allows multiplayer GBA gaming :D

I wish the official PS1 emulator had wifi support for multiplayer games though. It does kinda suck. But hey! PS1 games on PSP are good so, it's great haha.

bacalacadaca, you can make PS1 games into EBOOT but not normal roms and other emulators.

bacalacadaca
March 3rd, 2008, 16:23
well thanks for the info guys i wish brave fencer musashi worked :(

mlwy45
February 3rd, 2009, 02:52
Why can't anyone make a PC emulator -to-PSP Emulator converter? Something easy to use, and only needs the EXE file from the PC emulator to make the EBOOT. I like to play SNES games, BUT who's idea was it to use SNES9x? That emulator BLOWS! I only use ZSNES Because it works just fine with every game including 3dFX games such as STAR FOX, or STUNT FX. Why can someone just make a converter like PSX to eboot only with PC emulators instead? I shouldn't have to mess with options to play a game that only takes me 2-3 hours tops to beat.

nordom0
June 9th, 2009, 01:08
Why can't anyone make a PC emulator -to-PSP Emulator converter? Something easy to use, and only needs the EXE file from the PC emulator to make the EBOOT. I like to play SNES games, BUT who's idea was it to use SNES9x? That emulator BLOWS! I only use ZSNES Because it works just fine with every game including 3dFX games such as STAR FOX, or STUNT FX. Why can someone just make a converter like PSX to eboot only with PC emulators instead? I shouldn't have to mess with options to play a game that only takes me 2-3 hours tops to beat.

Honestly, How Noobish are you?... Do you know just how much work goes into a Computer Emulator, and even more into its Converter, Do you really think that just because you dont like options like that, that someone will make you a converter, Well, NO, they wont, if you want a converter like that then MAKE ONE YOURSELF.

Enough Said,