PDA

View Full Version : Flight From The Dark" for DS (RC6)

wraggster
March 5th, 2008, 19:35
News/release from LoneWolfDS (http://www.projectaon.org/staff/frederic/downloads.php) Site:

This project has begun as a way to learn how to program on the Nintendo DS. After seeing how the DS was used vertically as a book by some famous games, I thought it would be really cool to have some old gamebooks converted on this system.

Unfortunately, due to copyright issues, it was not really easy to find good contents to use as a working base. Then I found the Project Aon site, which offered many books from the award-winning Lone Wolf series, fully converted to HTML by some loving fans.

For those who didn't know about Gamebooks, they were novels which had a nice success during the 80's, and which were allowing the readers to choose their own path by jumping from one numbered section to another, in a fun and interactive way. They were introducing the concepts of inventory, enemies fights, random dice results, and other nice ideas which were the precursors of what we find today in role playing video games.
The philosophy behind the port of the Lone Wolf books to the DS is to let the console handle all the rules related to combats, stats and so on, so the player can be really immersed in the story and doesn't need to bother with the gameplay elements.

For now, only the first volume of the series, called "Flight From The Dark", is available. If people show enough interest in this first book, other volumes will be ported too. So if you find a bug, have a suggestion, or simply want to contact me, please feel free to write to lonewolfds<at>free.fr (replace the "<at>" by the "@" symbol). Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

thebawp
March 5th, 2008, 21:02
I remember suggesting this is an idea in the forums about a year or so back - Project Aon has already made the gamebooks easily accessible, so they seemed a perfect candidate for transferring to the DS.

However, this is something else. The presentation is awesome, with fantastic sounds and a beautiful interface. It also does all the numbers stuff for you, which is great! No more scratting about for a pen and paper when I want to play!

I urge EVERYONE to give this a go. I loved the Lone Wolf series as a kid, and although the first book is pretty basic, it'd be a crying shame if this guy didn't port the rest of the books across.

Brilliant work, and I for one can't wait to get stuck in proper!

Jeric
March 6th, 2008, 03:01
Ok the only way I could think to make this better? Give us an editor for either windows or linux(prefferably a version for each) so those interested can make their own.

This is class work, and i thank you.

Markzilla
March 6th, 2008, 04:12
Simply fantastic stuff. For the uninitiated, this is a digitalized version of the precursor to video RPGs.

Matty_Jetman
March 6th, 2008, 07:37
This looks fantastic, just off downloading it now. I was a big fan of the Warlock of Firetop Mountain fighting fantasy books and enjoyed playing the version of this book on the GP32 so I'm realy looking forward to trying out Lone Wolf!

thetimm
March 7th, 2008, 06:40
just exactly what i've been wanting on my ds and i didn't even know it!
BEAUTIFUL work!
PLEASE keep it up!