PDA

View Full Version : Lua Player Port to Dreamcast

wraggster
August 20th, 2005, 20:51
The PSP is getting some nice games via Lua Player and i was wondering if a DC port is a possibility ?

Source code etc here --> http://www.luaplayer.org/

GPF
August 21st, 2005, 02:53
should be technically possible, all of the required libs are supported on the dreamcast, mikmod support I believe is in SDL.

I don't know anything about the PSP though to determine whats part of the luaplayer and whats PSP specific.

If I ever get a chance Ill take a look at the code more later.

Troy

GPF
August 21st, 2005, 02:56
yes it should be technically possible to port, since all the required libs are available on the dreamcast, mikmod support is through SDL_mixer though.

I am not familiar with any of the PSP libraries to determine exactly what is a luaplayer function and whats a PSP specific function though.

Troy

Eric
August 21st, 2005, 13:55
I visited the forums to see what the language was. They said its written in C but i dont know if there is anything else that wouldnt make this portable. So it looks defenitly portable and the screenshots for the games it has looks amazing. I guess this is another type of Fenix idea and looks like it could do a lot more for graphics.

BlackAura
August 21st, 2005, 14:09
Maybe. It's not particularly tied to the PSP's hardware, although it does seem to assume PSP resolution (not a big deal - we could just letterbox it). We already have Lua, so all you'd need to do is port the new stuff they added.

Might have a bit of an issue with the Dreamcast's graphics hardware though. It works a bit differently than the PSP, so it's possible that not every Luaplayer game would work on the Dreamcast.

Thinking about it... I haven't done any work on the core of DCBasic for ages. I have been doing work on tools instead, but there's not a lot stopping me from releasing a working version without (m)any support tools. Still needs a fair bit of work to get it in a releasable state (bugfixes, a few missing features, some examples and documentation), but I may as well go for it. The tools are going to take a while, and I'd rather use Lua as a scripting language for that anyway, so it'd be nice to give you guys something to play with.

wraggster
August 21st, 2005, 20:40
yeah its a rather cool language for newbies to produce basic homebrew for the Dreamcast

Eric
August 23rd, 2005, 10:24
I wish there was away to code games for Dreamcast with out the cable :(. But i guess thats the only way you can code things for video game systems?

GPF
August 25th, 2005, 22:37
to bad its not written with the SDL libs , it would be an easy port :)

Ivan
November 16th, 2005, 18:11
last version dreamshell support LUA :)

zaero
November 20th, 2005, 18:36
Yes, dreamshell suport Lua script ver. 5.

Hm... Port luaplayer? It's inpossible! Lua player writed in "C".

zaero
November 20th, 2005, 18:40
dreamshell forum - http://bbrclan.dc-swat.net.ru/dreamshell/forum/

Cap'n 1time
November 21st, 2005, 02:10
dreamshell forum - http://bbrclan.dc-swat.net.ru/dreamshell/forum/

Razom Nas Bahato.... ah yeah. orange revolution biotch. ;)

zaero
November 21st, 2005, 13:35
to 1timeuser:
:):):)