PDA

View Full Version : [DS Homebrew] Snatcher Pilot DS

DesertDog
March 6th, 2008, 11:26
My latest DS homebrew game is a port/remake of the demo of Snatcher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snatcher), an early adventure game created by Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid).

Here's a screenshot:
http://i27.tinypic.com/2dinfqe.jpg

Tested and runs perfectly using an R4, and runs in DS emulators with a few sound issues.

Download and more information:
http://multiple-option.blogspot.com/2008/03/snatcher-pilot-ds.html

Thanks!
- Desert Dog / Multiple:Option

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Amiga
March 6th, 2008, 17:13
Awesome! :)

puslar_t
March 6th, 2008, 17:49
Great work. But is there a chance of seeing the full game on the DS? Or is the full PCE game Japanese-only?

Echo1
March 6th, 2008, 18:16
This is an excellent demo. I would love to see the full game on DS.

blueskull1
March 6th, 2008, 18:24
I echo the two statements above.

spannernick
March 6th, 2008, 20:43
Very nice,just played it..;)
I use to play this on the Mega CD..brillant..

Will the source code be availble to download so others can made games from it...?

iceman100
March 7th, 2008, 02:58
It would be even better if they released policenaughts like this too :)

DesertDog
March 7th, 2008, 10:35
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

I won't be doing the rest of the game, sorry. I only intended to do the demo as a learning exercise.

I won't be releasing the source code at this stage, simply because I don't do anything special code-wise. It's basically "show picture" and "show text" repeated about 100 times...

cloud_952
March 7th, 2008, 13:18
^_^;; In that case, isn't it fair to say that this is, in fact, not a port, but a recreation?

A port implies that you're using the original sources and changing the code to operate on a different system. Here, you're using screen shots and images and pasting them in the order that appeared in the original, but with no regard to the original source code.

Still an impressive and good start, but not a port.

Then only reason why I point this out is that it's giving false impressions to people here that it is possible to port the entire game, or even to start with other games.

spannernick
March 7th, 2008, 16:20
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

I won't be doing the rest of the game, sorry. I only intended to do the demo as a learning exercise.

I won't be releasing the source code at this stage, simply because I don't do anything special code-wise. It's basically "show picture" and "show text" repeated about 100 times...

Well its isn't just pictures and text repeated about 100 times,its more than that.I can see that just by playing it.You have sound in there too,You proberly used 8bit or 16bit bitmaps in there and the PA_OutputText for the text and user fonts..

I like how you did the bomb.."Can you hear that ticking...Turn up the volume on the ds...can't you hear it"...:)

DesertDog
March 7th, 2008, 23:52
^_^;; In that case, isn't it fair to say that this is, in fact, not a port, but a recreation?

If I've used the term "port" wrong, then that's my mistake. I've always thought that the word "port" just meant bringing a game from one platform to another, regardless of the technical development.

I remember back in the old days when Ocean, US Gold etc would convert arcade games to C64, they were never referred to as "recreations." They were called "ports," or were Julian Rignall, and Computer and Video Games just lying to me all the way through the 1980's? :)

Well its isn't just pictures and text repeated about 100 times,its more than that.I can see that just by playing it.You have sound in there too,You proberly used 8bit or 16bit bitmaps in there and the PA_OutputText for the text and user fonts..

I like how you did the bomb.."Can you hear that ticking...Turn up the volume on the ds...can't you hear it"...

True, I did do more than just display pictures, but everything I did was just copy-and-pasted from the PALib examples. If someone really wants the source code, PM me.

As for the bomb, it's actually in the original game, but it used to say, "Turn up the volume on the TV."

basilb
March 9th, 2008, 11:43
this is a brilliant release. It's exactly the kind of homebrew output thats needed. I can only hope this helps get official versions of classics -people want to see- ported onto the ds.

iceman100
March 9th, 2008, 20:34
What does this game run only once or something?

DesertDog
March 10th, 2008, 06:44
basilb, I agree with you 100%, and that's why I put the message at the end of the demo. I'm just showing people that Snatcher can work on DS - now it's up to the pros to do it properly.

iceman100, the game will stop when you finish it. If you want to play it again, turn off your DS and reload it. This is noted in the readme.

spannernick
March 10th, 2008, 11:21
True, I did do more than just display pictures, but everything I did was just copy-and-pasted from the PALib examples. If someone really wants the source code, PM me."

I have PMed you..??

DesertDog
March 11th, 2008, 09:31
Yep, just got your PM and PM'ed you back.

spannernick
March 14th, 2008, 17:44
Thanks.. That will help me alot..;)
How did you make the sound raw files...?

DesertDog
March 15th, 2008, 01:17
Thanks.. That will help me alot..;)
How did you make the sound raw files...?

I use Switch (free download): http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

For instructions, have a look at the PALib tutorial about sound: www.palib.info

spannernick
March 15th, 2008, 21:34
I tryed to convert a .mp3 file and when it plays in the DS its just hiss..?

Oh palib.info is down at the moment..

DesertDog
March 16th, 2008, 00:30
Did you change the raw export options? It should be 11080, 8-bit signed, mono. Otherwise, I have no idea.

JonnyTanna
February 7th, 2009, 18:00
Brilliant!

I never knew this existed. I need to keep my ear to this Snatcher scene more...