PDA

View Full Version : NeoGeo Conversion Project

TyBO
August 21st, 2005, 03:07
Retro gaming aficionado, racketboy, hits us with this exciting news:

Somebody started a thread on the Neo-Geo.com messageboards claiming to have started a project that will basically take ROMs from Neo-Geo AES/MVS games and converting them into Neo-Geo CD games. There is a major interest in this since:

1. The original carts are expensive and people a looking for a cheap way to play the best games on the Neo-Geo console.
2. The Dreamcast has a couple excellent Neo-Geo CD emulators (and it can’t handle most regular Neo-Geo ROMs).
3. It’s just plain cool.

IF this does work out, I see this as a huge development in the Dreamcast scene. The Dreamcast already has an excellent library of 2D games (especially fighters) in addition to its 3D games. But if you add on the Neo-Geo’s classic library, the Dreamcast would be a 2D gamer’s paradise! Eventually we might be able to hack together self-booting discs of every Neo-Geo game to play on Sega’s little white box. How cool is that!

Source: http://hacks.joystiq.com/entry/1234000353033745/
Official Site: http://www.game-shoppe.com/NeoGeoCD/

Pretty cool bit of news... we might be able to play the NeoGeo games that were never released on NeoGeo CD on our Dreamcasts using NeoDC/Neo4All.

Also, I know there was recently a discussion here about whether it's possible to convert N64 ROMs to ISOs... well this might be our proof. ;)

Darksaviour69
August 21st, 2005, 03:18
this has been about fore a while! some neo geo cart game have been converted to a cd format. Quzar has posted a few times that a new version of NeoCD will support some cart games!

still thanks for the news

kingbuzzo
August 21st, 2005, 03:21
I remember a bit of talk as well, that a game like metal slug 3 could even be made into a neogeo cd game if it was given loading points, otherwise there just wouldn't be enough ram. As far as I know, there was never any attempt, but I haven't been following very well.

Something every Dreamcast Owner has hoped for is Metal Slug 3 and SvC chaos.

TyBO
August 21st, 2005, 03:30
D'OH!

My mistake... I should have checked the date of the article.

I do hope the guy is working on converting MS3 though...

kingbuzzo
August 21st, 2005, 05:55
what "guy" ?

quzar
August 21st, 2005, 08:16
The next version of NeoDC WILL support as many mvs games as possible (probably at least 40 or so).

DARKGATE
August 21st, 2005, 08:20
:) can be marvelous see many games MVS on DREAMCAST.

KIZUNA ENCOUNTER
RAGE OF THE DRAGON
MATREMELEE
WAKU WAKU 7
SAMURAI SHODOWN 5 SPECIAL
SNK VS CAPCOM CHAOS
KOF 2003 (but don't like me :( )
BLAZING STARS
--------------------------------------
for me those games are greats, i hope wich this project work well, but is very difficult, a work for men with GREATS BALLS :).

Eric
August 21st, 2005, 13:59
Sweet cant wait to see that release. Looks like Neo DC isnt dead glad your keeping it alive. You do amazing work Quzar keep it up bud.

TyBO
August 22nd, 2005, 23:59
what "guy" ?
I dunno... I was refering to the person who is working on the NeoGeo conversion project.

big_radu
August 23rd, 2005, 12:25
I have a question: What is dreamcast?

TyBO
August 23rd, 2005, 23:29
I have a question: What is dreamcast?
I really hope you're joking, but in case you are not:

http://home.kooee.com.au/maaclr/_derived/dreamcast.html_txt_dreamcast.gif

Everything you'd ever want to know about Dreamcast. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast)

bender
August 24th, 2005, 21:17
I didn't know this was possible. How does the thing work? I mean, there're too many differences streaming from a cd or loading the rom data
And is it possible to make something similar for other systems?
thnks

quzar
August 24th, 2005, 21:56
It is, but it isn't necessarily possible for every game. After the first release of the new NeoDC I have some ideas that i've never heard before that I came up with as to how to work around the problem, and I intend to test them with some of the more popular games.

My way of looking at it though, is that it should not be the roms that are manipulated but the emulators (since rom manipulation is illegal and all).

Eric
August 24th, 2005, 23:04
Backing up a system isnt illegal. Okay you know i have to say this making Roms is illegal cause people download them cause they dont own the game. Same as backing up i think dont know. A emulator is the same as the system and plays okay or if not the same as the system to play these backed up games. It stops people from buying games in the stores and thats why they are illegal.

A emulator is the same and plays these illegal roms its backed up to work like the actual system if not plays homebrew games those emulators to me seem to be okay. But playing anything commercial is making that emulator like that system except to be played on your pc. Stopping people from buying the actual system like they would downloading a rom.

To me they are illegal Roms stop you from buying the game they are losing money. Emulators stop you from buying to download those Roms and make stores and companies lose wopping amounts of money on systems nobodies going to buy cause that emulator is released.

I hope this makes sense because i'm very tired. But lets keep this tradition going as i probably made myself look like an idiot.

Eric

quzar
August 25th, 2005, 00:50
that has nothing to do with anything. i was saying distributing hacked roms is ALWAYS illegal, regardless of if the person owns the original.

bender
August 25th, 2005, 02:10
I think you can do anything with the game you bought (at least where I live) but distributing copyrighted data it's illegal.

A how-to explaining how to mod your game (without distributing any kind of data), it's probably legal. It'd be just an snk neogeo to snk neogeo cd conversion tutorial, nothing bad in it :-)

My way of looking at it though, is that it should be the roms that are manipulated but the emulators .
That would be legal but doesn't seem easy and perfomance will be worse than having the rom converted.
Well, really I have no idea of how can you do that, and what are you thinking about ;-)

Eric
August 25th, 2005, 09:56
Ah sorry quzar my bad bro i wasnt paying attention as i said i was pretty tired remember i do the nightshift for where i work and right now i'm on holiday's and its still tough to pay attention.

kingbuzzo
August 26th, 2005, 00:39
OT: what would be real cool is a Genesis to SegaCD conversion project. Seems pretty much impossible without source, but would be nice not to have cd audio, and not have to damage my precious carts :)

bender
August 26th, 2005, 01:13
It's not possible and not worth if it was. SegaCD games need the SegaCD+genesis hardware. If you need a backup of the game you own, go for the rom.
Genesis perfect emulation it's possible . The problem with neogeo carts it's just the size of the roms

quzar
August 27th, 2005, 06:32
It would probably be very possible but you would need a cart with a custom program on it that would let you read rom files off of a cd.