PDA

View Full Version : Help me out here

Blaze RT
August 21st, 2005, 04:30
Ok technically I am a newbie, yes. But ive been trolling the boards for some time now. Recently I started reading about the PSP and emulation. I am lookin for a PSP 1.5 so I can use the homebrew thing. I have a few questions that maybe some of you vetts can answer for me.

First Question: the PSP1000 and PSP1000k are from japan, Does this mean they can only play imported games (PAL format)?

Second Question: Ive seen that some people have made PC games available on PSP (Doom, Duke Nukem, Heritic...) Is it possible for someone to start on a Shadow Warrior project? If anyone remembers this game, It was a First Person Shooter. You played the part of a ninja seeking revenge for his masters death. The game was basically a knock off from Duke Nukem, but a chineese warrior instead of a bad ass american :D.

Third Question: How exactally do you play agnst other PSP owners? Is there a cable you can link them together (like old game boys) or is there a wireless support (like the newer game boys)

Sorry I am so ignorant, but I drifted away from consols and hand held games when I discovored how powerful a PC can be ;)

aruka57
August 21st, 2005, 04:53
i'll have someone else answer your first question ^^;

second: Duke3D has source available, Shadow Warrior doesn't.. both are by the same company and use the same engine, so it *MIGHT* be portable through Duke3D, but all in all, we'll have to wait for Duke3D before even thinking about Shadow Warrior

third: wireless, through internet or ad-hoc(local units).. only on games that support it, and far as i know homebrew isn't advanced enough for that currently, though it may be in the future, all depends how much of the system is learned in time

Blaze RT
August 21st, 2005, 05:00
third: wireless, through internet or ad-hoc(local units).. only on games that support it, and far as i know homebrew isn't advanced enough for that currently, though it may be in the future, all depends how much of the system is learned in time

Should I wait on spending $200+ for a 1.5 or 1.0 and hope that homebrew is developed for 2.0+?

aruka57
August 21st, 2005, 05:42
Should I wait on spending $200+ for a 1.5 or 1.0 and hope that homebrew is developed for 2.0+?

honestly, i can't answer that - even now, there's no idea how long that it may take to get through 2.0.. if you look around, there's a number of discussions on the subject, but even then, there's no clue how long or if people will get through Sony's security..

the excessive delay on US 2.0 could hint at additional measures beyond what is currently around, too, scarily enough

Blaze RT
August 21st, 2005, 05:51
scarily enough
haha your tellin me, I have to shell out $200+ for a PSP alone, I ATLEAST wanna make sure I make a good investment. Sure a 1.5 + all the current support would be nice to have rite now, but if 2.0 gets cracked then all the attention will shift to the new features (if there are any) involved with the 2.0 firmware...

aruka57
August 21st, 2005, 06:27
if you don't have one yet, and want a PSP, a 1-1.5 is worth the effort - if you want to, you have the choice to upgrade later... and of course, if the only way to hack 2.0 is through 1.5, then yeah, you'd be in trouble

regardless, if you want a PSP, it's better to hunt now than later, as 1.5 is beginning to fade, it seems