PDA

View Full Version : Will there *ever* be a decent ZX Spectrum emulator?

marzsyndrome
March 7th, 2008, 11:01
I mean come on, as of this moment the DS is totally kicking PSP's ass majorly in that department! :p

The sole Speccy emu available for PSP - PsPectrum - hasn't been updated since mid '06, isn't compatible with PSP Slims (I suspect anyway), and the GUI is rather rubbish all round.

I did e-mail Uberjack a long while back asking if he'd be interested in finding the time one day to code such an emu (after being thoroughly impressed by his work on CaPriCe32) but I never heard back from him. Oh well!

What do you guys think?

Baboon
March 7th, 2008, 11:31
I mean come on, as of this moment the DS is totally kicking PSP's ass majorly in that department! :p

The sole Speccy emu available for PSP - PsPectrum - hasn't been updated since mid '06, isn't compatible with PSP Slims (I suspect anyway), and the GUI is rather rubbish all round.

I did e-mail Uberjack a long while back asking if he'd be interested in finding the time one day to code such an emu (after being thoroughly impressed by his work on CaPriCe32) but I never heard back from him. Oh well!

What do you guys think?

Well as far as I can tell PsPectrum runs all the games (that I've tried) at 100% speed (with no need for frame skipping etc), the sound seems spot on and the compatibility is fantastic (if not totaly perfect)? ...The only thing that lets it down is the GUI but that still does a perfectly good job?

I don't see the need for an update or even a new Specky emu when the emulator we've got is already fantastic? :confused:

...oh and it is already compatible with psp slims! lol

marzsyndrome
March 7th, 2008, 20:52
I thought it was only available in a 1.5 kernel form though?

Baboon
March 8th, 2008, 09:10
I thought it was only available in a 1.5 kernel form though?

Here's PSPectrum v1.0.4(Fat & Slim compatible version) with a custom eboot pic and sound...

marzsyndrome
March 10th, 2008, 13:27
Well first off I must say I like the background and Speccy sound on this EBoot! Who should I thank for this? And who did update it for 3.xx kernels in the end?

HOWEVER, after playing about with the emu for quite some time, I can already note several important things that need fixing, or a new emulator to be made for....

1) The sound is dodgy on many games, and crackles a lot.
2) I've come across at least one game so far which will refuse to load on it (Crystal Kingdom Dizzy).
3) No full-screen option, or indeed any video-related options.
4) No way of customizing control configurations, so that other buttons can emulate specfic keys on the keyboard (this is required for games that use a combination of joystick and keyboard during gameplay, such as Dragon Spirit (one of the games I tested)). The DS's ZXDS not only allows this sort of thing, but also saves seperate configs for each game so that you don't have to keep changing the controls to suit a new title every time.
5) The virtual keyboard graphic looks fugly, and needs replacing with something more akin to a Speccy! And I think button selection should be done in a snap-from-button-to-button style like most emulators.
6) I know this was already discussed, but the GUI really, really could do with an Uberjack style makeover. And if possible, add support for disk images and all other Speccy formats.

So I don't know if you're just playing games that work better on PSpectrum, but personally I think it still needs updating or replacing! :)

Baboon
March 11th, 2008, 08:42
I've been quite content with whats there already? Maybe I've been playing different games? lol

I guess go to the official site and put your requests there: http://pspectrum.condor.serverpro3.com/