PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 HD DVD question...

Contracts
March 8th, 2008, 03:49
Due to the 50 Dollar price drop, i'm very enticed by the idea of owning one of these players. But not for HD TV use, but for my PC. So my question is, I know it can run HD DVD's, and DVDs. However, can it run DVD data disks (so a game disk for example) as a normal disk drive, and can it run regular CD's on a PC as a normal disk drive/dvd drive would work. I have no disk drives on my PC, and 50 dollars for an HD DVD player that can work on PC is very enticing.

Video_freak
March 8th, 2008, 04:19
Wait, these drives work on PC? I might be interested in buying one if that's the case (one of my DVD drives is slowly starting to wear).

As for your question, I'm pretty sure that if you can get the drive working on your computer, it should be able to read all DVD types, not just HD-DVD.

bah
March 8th, 2008, 04:32
Looks as though it is auto detected/mounted by windows and it supports HD-DVD, DVD (video and data obviously) and CD.
I would guess you need a video card/display that supports HDCP though, or you wont be getting HD video. Thankyou DRM :(

'If you plan on getting HiDef movies, it's definately good buy. Why?

$50 for Drive
$10 per movie

Lets say you go out and splurge on 10 movies.

That's $50 + $10x10=$150.

What you essentially have now is, 11 HD Movies (including king kong that it comes with), a portable USB external HD-DVD/DVD/CD Reader (perfect for EEE or MacBook Air) and a universal backlit remote control.

Now lets say you're a dead set BluRay fanboy. You go out and spend the $150 on 5 movies (lets say they're $30 ave). What we have now is 5 movies and 0 Player. It'll be a very long time before BR movies will be at this price'

-http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/926195.html