PDA

View Full Version : Help on how to run PS1 games on my PSP

Ultimate warrior
March 11th, 2008, 02:05
I have CFW m33 3.71-4. I'm looking to run all of the final fantasy titles on the PSP. Can someone explain the process for me? It looks far more complicated then regular emu's. Plus, I hold down the right shoulder button and no recovery menu shows up. Someone please explain how to get PS1 games on my slim PSP. Thank you for your time (please include links to what I need!).

SoulReaver911
March 11th, 2008, 03:18
Alright here's the process:

1: Purchase game, or use an already owned one.

2: Rip it. CloneCD (http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonecd.html) is what I use, as do many others. In this case you use the ".img" file it cooks up (ignore the other 2 files it makes, they aren't useful in this case.

3: Get the best gui ever (I love the program a lot, as will you). Popstation Gui v1.2 (http://dl.qj.net/index.php?pg=19&src=popstation+gui&catid=&go.x=0&go.y=0) (Edit: Forgot to mention that there are some files that you are going to need to make this program work and can only be gotten a certain way, and I'm not at liberty to say how. Search on how to obtain these files using Google of course, but the files I'm talking about are illegal to use unless you're under certain legal rights...blah blah blah. Ask a friend and hope for the best. In actuality it's no secret, so just dig around about popstation.)

4: Load the image file into the gui in the first box on the left and choose some pictures for the ".pbp" file it will eventually generate. Popstation Image Packs (http://popsdb.twystneko.com/) is the most useful site for these pictures. On the right side of the screen of the gui, the first two boxes is where you need to put the links to the pics on wherever you put them on your comp. The icon is the one that is in front of the background and usually says the name of the game. The background of course, is the background. Screw the info page unless you really want it. You can get audio files from the same site, but not all games usually unpopular ones don't have any. That's the background music. Screw the last two as well.

5: Choose a pbp output folder in the second box on the left (make sure you have room, Final Fantasies are usually around 550 megs for each disc.)

6: Ignore the Game and Save title, unless their is a problem, because it's usually right. Also ignore the Game and Save ID boxes, for now. Just memorize both (or write them down.) You only need to do this for each of the first discs of the Final Fantasies you want, none of their later discs.

7: Go into options and go under the image tag. Get rid of all the links in there, just delete them from the boxes. These are annoying and you don't want them behind the pictures you've already chosen. They only affect the pictures you've chosen if these boxes are activated.

8: Chose compression level under common tab. I would suggest sticking with full since it doesn't help the psp run games better with low compression most times. Try it if you feel it might help, but otherwise leave it alone. The other tags are self explanatory, forget about them for the FF games (unless you have pal, then use patches for them in the Patches tab.)

9: Close options (it automatically saves settings for later execution of the program, meaning it will stay that way until you change it.)

10: Hit the compress button and let the gui do its magic.

11: Alright so now you've got this sexy .pbp file just waiting to be played with. You gotta transfer it to your psp in psp\Game\"name of folder, what ever you want"\ and make damn sure it's in its own folder, or the psp won't recognize it.

(Steps 12, 13, 15, and 16 are optional but highly recommended for optimal fun.)

12: Grab Popsloader for 3.80 v.2 (http://www.dark-alex.org/) and unrar, then put everything in the there into "seplugins" on the root of your memory stick. Also grab M33 PSARDumper from the same website and get the pbp files of updates, like for instance "3.72" firmware update from sony's website. Use PsarDumper to dump the ".prx" files that are in every firmware update. You're going to have to rename them, however, I'm not entirely sure it's legal that I tell you. Google about this subject, since you might need help. It would also be helpful if someone else could respond to this thread to clear this up for me and any others. Sorry for the lack of help here.

13: Once you have the renamed .prx files put them into the popsloader folder that should now be located in your seplugins folder. That's it for that.

14: Turn on your sweet psp and love on it. After your done petting it, check out your memory stick under game and let's see if the first file there is the ps game's pbp file. If it doesn't show up, something went wrong (most like image making process from cdclone, however this would only happed because of the cd or dvd drive, or possibly the game is to scratched to read in the first place.)

15: Alright turn off you psp completely. Hold the Right shoulder button as you turn it back on, and you should be taken to recovery. Select Plugins then make sure "popsloader.prx" is enabled.

16: Go back and then exit the recovery menu, and you should go right back the xmb menu.

17: Alright, go back to the playstation game and execute it. The first time you do, the warning boot will come on. If you followed steps 12, 13, 15, and 16 the popsloader screen will come up. For all the Final Fantasies, I would use 3.72. Go ahead and pick that. Never use 3.90 or 3.80, they don't work right as far as I know.

18: The game should go right on after that.

19: Alright, for discs after the first one on all the final fantasies, you're going to add another step to the making process. Right before you compress, change Game and/or the Save id to the same id as the first disc. I would just try the save id first. Try both later if it's not working right. This way you'll be able to use save files that were made on previous discs. Awesome huh?

20: It would be a good idea to get an organizer. PSP Content Manager v1.8 (http://dl.qj.net/PSP-Content-Manager-v1.8-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/14365/catid/190) is the base program, but you'll want to update it with the patch (http://dl.qj.net/3.80-M33-patch-for-PSP-Content-Manager-v1.8-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/15696/catid/151) for 3.80 (works on 3.90 too.) I think for you UW, just stick with base program until you update you psp firmware.

21: It's fairly simple to use, and it will change the order of the apps in any or all of the folders that they are in. For example, you can put emulators in what ever order you want below all the psx games you want to put in there. Make sure to use the "apply sort" button, or it won't work. Make sure you psp is plugged in and it should recognize it.

22: Play the ****ing game already.

23: After a healthy dose of FF, give you psp a big hug and thank me. :P

Ultimate warrior
March 11th, 2008, 04:09
Edit: Nvm

jeegee
March 12th, 2008, 10:46
Nvm! ! ? ? ? after he typed all that?!?! Hey, i dont need any help to run ps1 games on my psp as i read the tuts on here ages ago, but i'll still say thanks to soulreaver911 for taking his time to help a n00b

Ultimate warrior
March 12th, 2008, 19:33
It was never mind to another question that I asked about the PS1 ROMs themselves. He answered it in a PM. I did thank him. Don't believe me? Ask soul. I'm a very grateful person.

theovemonk
March 13th, 2008, 23:13
These files for popsloader were not made by me i found them on the net (thanks to one generous soul)

I have placed the link to the file since im having trouble uploading the file.

If your trying to play ff8 then it is advised that you make a multi-disk eboor.pbp. it has been tried and tested that a multi-disk eboot doesnt crash when running popsloader 3.90.

Unfortunately there are a few instance where the game will not continue after a FMV eg the Intro fmv wont run.

To get around this problem just switch to popsloader 3.71 or 3.72. get past the problem sve the fame and load the game using popsloader 3.90.

The file i have uploaded has all the files needed to run popsloader from version 3.03 to 3.80 I think.

http://thelovemonk.diinoweb.com/files/PSP/seplugins.rar

Ultimate warrior
March 14th, 2008, 01:23
Is it honestly that big of a deal if I don't have the popsloader and just convert them and play it like that?

theovemonk
March 14th, 2008, 14:51
well as far as i know. to play psx eboots on the psp you'll be using popsloader as its installed with the firmware so yes its a big deal.

with each firmware update there are changes to popsloader and some updates end up causing games that worked in the past to no longer work.

If you try to run ff8 using single disk eboot then the game crashes when casting magic fighting diablo tec...
using multidisk eboot prevents the game from crashing but for ff8 as mentioned earlier the game doesnt run after certain fmvs.

Oh i also remembered that for ff8 before you convert the game you'll have to change the disk code to SLPS02180

Ultimate warrior
March 14th, 2008, 20:36
Funny, I casted plenty of magic and drawed from enemies and my FF8 has yet to crash. Why change the games id?