PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Hack v0.1alpha3a Released - Front SD Card Slot Supported

wraggster
March 14th, 2008, 06:40
via wiibrew (http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=Twilight_Hack)

The Twilight Hack is currently the only safe, released way to run homebrew on an unmodded Wii.

Changelog

0.1alpha3a

Correctly loads geckoloader code from USBGecko flash

0.1alpha3

Front SD slot is now supported; SDGecko slot support has been removed.
FAT16 is now supported; you should save your ELF executable on your SD card as "boot.elf".
RZDJ is now supported
Added support for Geckoloader stub: If you have a USBGecko installed and have already run the Geckoloader program to install into flash, then the Twilight Hack will try to load that stub if it does not detect an SD card.

Installation
You will need:

1x Wii
1x SD card, formatted as FAT16
1x copy of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess that has been run at least once
1x Computer
1x Some way to read SD cards on a computer
(Optional) 1x or more GameCube controller
(Optional) 1x USBGecko
Inside the zip archive, you will find several savegame files; you will need to choose the correct one based on your version of Zelda: Twilight Princess. The easiest way to check your version is to compare the text string which is on the inner cycle of the data surface with the ones below.

RVL-RZDP-0A-0 JPN - rzdp0.bin
RVL-RZDE-0A-0 JPN - rzde0.bin
RVL-RZDE-0A-0 USA - rzde0.bin
RVL-RZDE-0A-2 USA - rzde2.bin
RVL-RZDJ-0A-0 JPN - rzdj0.bin
If it does not already exist, make a directory called "/private/wii/title/RZDx/" on your SD card; replace "RZDx" with RZDE, RZDP or RZDJ as appropriate. Copy the above file into that directory, renaming it as "data.bin".
Next, take your homebrew Wii executable, and save it in the root directory of your SD card as "boot.elf".
Now, put the SD card into your Wii and turn it on. Go into Wii Options --> Data Management --> Save Data --> Wii. Find your Zelda save, click on it, and click "Erase", and click Yes. Now, go into SD card, and select the "Twilight Hack" save (the icon says "Wiibrew Loader"). Click copy, and yes. Now, go back out of that menu.
Insert Zelda, and run the game. Load file A, and walk backwards.
Explanation
The Twilight Hack works by employing a lengthly character name for the horse in the game ('Epona') in order to facilitate a stack smash. This gets triggered when talking to the man next to you when you start the savegame as he loads the name to use it in his dialog or upon attempting to enter the next zone, before the man talks to you and reminds you to go the other way to get the horse.

http://www.youtube.com/v/IowCjQb6dQA

Download and Give feedback Via Comments

steven1980cad
March 14th, 2008, 09:00
This is great news.
Works on my PAL wii.

This is the start of hombrew for all wii users without hardware modifications or SDGecko.

Simply wii and SD and zelda. Thanks to the coders.

duckharding30
March 14th, 2008, 09:04
works great cant wait for more homebrew to hit. cant get the megadrive emulator to load any roms but the creator is saying next release will fix a few teething probs.

craig vaughan
March 14th, 2008, 10:42
Thought I'd killed my Wii, but a mains reset fixed it

Did all the above and got as far as the Wii crashing spectacularly, with a screen full of start cluster= messages....

Any idea where I am going wrong?

craig vaughan
March 14th, 2008, 10:46
I'm running this on an unmodded wii, just off an SD card - not sure if the genesis emu and tetris I tried even work this way, or whether they will need updating to work on this refined hack..

Edit: Got Tetris working - by renaming the executable tetris.elf to boot.elf in the root of the SD card

Edit: Reading the genesis emulator readme, looks like this is running in Gamecube mode as a dol file, so its going to need sdload or another method until the author is good enough to bring out a version running in native wii mode.

Hope my mornings work helps some!

shadowprophet
March 14th, 2008, 11:35
I've been waiting for this :D

finely :thumbup:

devmas
March 14th, 2008, 11:38
...and from here on out, the Wii homebrew scene will explode. It's a long shot, but maybe it will surpass the PSP in homebrew?

craig vaughan
March 14th, 2008, 11:44
Let the fun begin - the dawn of an new era is upon us. The trickle is about to turn into a flood.

The emu scene gets another much needed boost as retro gold is welcomed into the Wii fold...

NoQuarter
March 14th, 2008, 12:10
Man I need to go get a Wii!
They're always sold out in my area :(
Maybe I need the internets for my fix.

This looks good,keep it up please!

Ryan915
March 14th, 2008, 12:11
...Reading the genesis emulator readme, looks like this is running in Gamecube mode as a dol file, so its going to need sdload or another method until the author is good enough to bring out a version running in native wii mode...
Haven't tried the Genesis emulator yet, but can't you use the Dol to Elf Converter tool to get this to run?

craig vaughan
March 14th, 2008, 12:42
Possilby so, but as I understand it, you'd then need a way of running the roms from the SD card...

shadowprophet
March 14th, 2008, 12:48
I't doesnt work with this. I got the emu to load, but..

the gen emu needs to be updated to work with the internal sd, it still looks for the old gecko to load roms via the game cube memory slot..
no worrys im sure someone will fix this little bug soon.

knifethrower
March 14th, 2008, 12:54
Haven't tried the Genesis emulator yet, but can't you use the Dol to Elf Converter tool to get this to run?

I tried the Dol to Elf converter on XRick and while it loaded the controls didn't work, I'm assuming GC-Mode and native Wii-Mode access the GC controller in different ways or something. The Balloon popping thing works but tetris shows the same controller issues (although the music plays), the MP3 player and the genesis emulator don't since they both want to load files from the SDGecko (recoding is needed to read from the internal sd slot).

bumfacekilla
March 14th, 2008, 13:07
I't doesnt work with this. I got the emu to load, but..

the gen emu needs to be updated to work with the internal sd, it still looks for the old gecko to load roms via the game cube memory slot..
no worrys im sure someone will fix this little bug soon.

I have tried this with the official nintendo SD card adapter in Gamecube slot A, the rom path should be genplus\roms\ but I have tried that the roms can't be read.

Also When I try the Snes Gx emulator (via the twilight hack for the internal SD slot or Gamecube SD reader), the emulator loads but the controls won't respond with a Gamucube or Wii controller at all.

shadowprophet
March 14th, 2008, 13:19
I have tried this with the official nintendo SD card adapter in Gamecube slot A, the rom path should be genplus\roms\ but I have tried that the roms can't be read.

Also When I try the Snes Gx emulator (via the twilight hack for the internal SD slot or Gamecube SD reader), the emulator loads but the controls won't respond with a Gamucube or Wii controller at all.

Very soon, we are going to see a '''''LOT'''' of wii homebrew, I wouldnt be suprised if we see genesis, snes, nes, tg16, ect emu before the end of the month.

with wii homebre being so similar to gc homebrew, there are many talented dev's out there already working on those very emus :p

bumfacekilla
March 14th, 2008, 13:54
Very soon, we are going to see a '''''LOT'''' of wii homebrew, I wouldnt be suprised if we see genesis, snes, nes, tg16, ect emu before the end of the month.

with wii homebre being so similar to gc homebrew, there are many talented dev's out there already working on those very emus :p

I know, isn't it great? I can hardly wait! I just hope Nintendo can't counteract this with a Firmware update..... fingers crossed!

DPyro
March 14th, 2008, 15:53
Oh sure, now that I've bought an SDcard adapter they release this. Oh well it was only $5...For the dol2elf converter, it only works for some programs and not emulators. The Genesis emu will work with the SDcard adapter and load a rom, but then the screen turns black, not letting you play the game.

Cloudhunter
March 14th, 2008, 16:02
Win! Can't wait until we have a "homebrew channel" on the menu :)

Cloudy

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 16:41
Im having the same problem as "craig vaughan" had, except i have renamed "tetris.elf" to "boot.elf" at the end is says something like:

"Cannot Read ELF at address xxxxxxx"
"Searching for DOL file" etc.

Also I was under the impression that I dont need WriteElf for this version, am I wrong? Does this need to be the only thing on the SD card? (That may be the problem)

mikebeaver
March 14th, 2008, 16:45
Win! Can't wait until we have a "homebrew channel" on the menu :)

Cloudy

Me either, have been playing around with the Genesis emu a little, can only get games in the native .SMD format to work, and for some (stupid) reason I only get it coming out in Black and White.

Mike..

craig vaughan
March 14th, 2008, 17:05
Depends on your setup...

Having run Zelda and the hack and got the system to crash, it should then just load the boot.elf and tetris should pop up.

The tetris I download was called tetris.elf
I just used Windows to rename it boot.elf and put it in the root of the SD card...

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 17:24
Depends on your setup...

Having run Zelda and the hack and got the system to crash, it should then just load the boot.elf and tetris should pop up.

The tetris I download was called tetris.elf
I just used Windows to rename it boot.elf and put it in the root of the SD card...

I did exactly as you say, but the problem didnt go away! :( Thank for answering so quickly though!

retro fan
March 14th, 2008, 17:34
Graxer - what is your setup?
Have you put the Zelda hack on the SD card and transferred it to the WII?
Have you run Zelda and loaded the hack?
Have you got Tetris.elf, in the root of your SD card, renamed to boot.elf?

With a bit more info, I'm sure we can get you moving..

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 17:51
I have done all those things. I am having no problem executing the Twilight hack just starting games from it. I just tried Genisis Plus, it didn't work either.

Here is what my screen is displaying:http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9151/14032008fi4.th.jpg (http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=14032008fi4.jpg)

Sir_Voe
March 14th, 2008, 17:55
This is the a great development. No more messing with writeelf, just drag and drop. Can't wait to see the innovative homebrew this is sure to bring.

retro fan
March 14th, 2008, 18:07
You've done the hard work then!

Whip your SD card out of the Wii.

Put it in your PC

Open it up so you can see the root

Get tetris.elf from a reputable source

If you already did then get it from somewhere else just to verify it isn't corrupt

Having downloaded it you should have tetris.elf

Rename it boot.elf and copy it to the ROOT of the SD card

Put the SD card in the WII

Run Zelda

Load the hacked save file

All the garbage will fill the screen

It should then find boot.elf and load tetris...

Try that...

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 18:10
Thats what I did. And I downloaded it from DCEmu!

retro fan
March 14th, 2008, 18:12
And your SD card is FAT16 formatted?

retro fan
March 14th, 2008, 18:15
Interestingly, the Genesis emu I can't get to work, but I think the readme says it won't boot from SD as is, though that should be an easy fix for some bright spark..!

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 18:15
My version of windows (XP Home SP2) only formats "FAT" or "FAT32"

I have tried both!

retro fan
March 14th, 2008, 18:17
can we have a screen shot of your SD card root, so we can see what's in there?
The problem is definately your boot.elf file, because if the file isn't there you don't get the end bits of all that on-screen garbage

It's addressing the boot.elf and finding issue with it...

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 18:24
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/2253/75225053yh5.th.png (http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?image=75225053yh5.png)

retro fan
March 14th, 2008, 18:32
Doesn't look like you've gone too far wrong there - though my file size is slightly bigger, I suspect it is because I am using Vista...

Last thing I can think of is make sure the SD card is not write protected..

Failing that, give me an e address and I'll send the file I have...

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 18:35
Doesn't look like you've gone too far wrong there - though my file size is slightly bigger, I suspect it is because I am using Vista...

Last thing I can think of is make sure the SD card is not write protected..

Failing that, give me an e address and I'll send the file I have...

It could be that I can only format in FAT or FAT32 and not FAT16. I'll send you my e-mail address by PM.

EDIT: Sent

retro fan
March 14th, 2008, 18:45
U have mail
Let us all know...l

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 18:51
:eek: It's still doing the same thing!!!! :(

retro fan
March 14th, 2008, 18:53
Well, I'm at the end of the road with this one. U did check the write protect?

Other than that, I think we'll have to wait over the weekend for the rash of emus about to appear...

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 18:59
Yes, I did check write protect. (I have been formatting it and rewriting it anyway without problems with that)

Thanks to "retro fan" and "craig vaughan" for trying to help! :)
I'll just wait to see if someone else has this problem. :(

Dark-Aries
March 14th, 2008, 19:05
just so you guys know...the first release of had a bug...on the wiibrew site you can get the updated version with the bug fixed that you guys are experiencing..I tried Tetris, works awesome except the controls are wierd...

GenesisPLus loads but needs to load games from a SDgecko, tried DVD loading too but it doesn't even make the disc spin, just hangs....

Hopefully somebody gives frontSD support to Genesis plus...

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 19:18
Cool, thanks! WiiBrew.org seems to be down currently though!!! :(

retro fan
March 14th, 2008, 19:19
Could someone link to this new fixed file?
Thanks

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 19:22
Or mirror it even, if the link is down! :D (I guess you can't access WiiBrew either then "retro fan"?)

retro fan
March 14th, 2008, 19:25
Nope. LOL

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 19:32
Oh, and I would need the RZDP version. ;)

vicious1988
March 14th, 2008, 19:33
Just started playing with this today. Very interesting. I've gotten PoC Linux to start loading (don't know if it was still loading or not since I couldn't read the bottom line). I also tried the SNES emulator and that gave me an error about the code. Can't wait til some FSD compatible versions come out.

BTW I noticed many of you were saying you don't have FAT16 as a format option. Just so you know Windows refers to it simply as FAT (since there were no previous FAT versions). SD cards are typically formatted in FAT already.

retro fan
March 14th, 2008, 19:48
U have mail AND THIS ONE WORKS...

sheridan2000
March 14th, 2008, 19:57
hi...where can i get a copy of the tetris.elf??

Thanks

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 20:00
I doesn't for me! :(

retro fan
March 14th, 2008, 20:00
http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/tetris-native-wii-homebrew-released-92182.html

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 20:07
I had version 3a, and not 3 originally. This isnt different for me :(

sheridan2000
March 14th, 2008, 20:09
thanks retro...by the way do i have to use a game cube controller to play the tetris and other home brew or can you use the wiimote??

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 20:13
At the moment you need a GC controller as no-one has implimented the Wiimote yet... but it will happen eventually. SCUMMVM Wii with point and click will be good. Especially if I can get this thing to work!

retro fan
March 14th, 2008, 20:25
I sent 3A, but the revised bug fix version.

The 3A I've been using all day played Tetris, but not the Genesis emu.

Now, with the version I sent u, after the stack crash, the screen goes black for 6 seconds then the genesis emu pops up - doesn't go further than the menu because u can't access roms, but that is a quick fix for the emu author!

This version of 3A is definately different from the earlier 3a, as I now have Tetris and Genesis booting...

U need to start again with this file, renaming it, copying it across to the Wii, running Zelda, making sure you have boot.elf etc...

GPF
March 14th, 2008, 20:29
here is the newest version downloaded from http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=Twilight_Hack

I have to wait to try it till tonight though, of course this comes out days after I purchased the sd gecko lol.

Troy(GPF)

Graxer0419
March 14th, 2008, 20:29
I have but it didnt work...

feddon
March 14th, 2008, 21:31
Anyone successfully loaded roms through any emus with this? can get the emus to run but genesis is looking for the GC port.

Dark-Aries
March 14th, 2008, 22:19
The emu hasn't been programed for Front SD...the only thing you can do without an SDgecko right now is tetris....you'll have to wait untill the emu gets updated.

knifethrower
March 14th, 2008, 22:21
here is the newest version downloaded from http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=Twilight_Hack

I have to wait to try it till tonight though, of course this comes out days after I purchased the sd gecko lol.

Troy(GPF)

Any chance you'll pick up Wii coding, I love your Dreamcast and NDS work (your Dreamcast port of SuperMarioWar was the first homebrew I ever played) :thumbup:

CoinCollector
March 14th, 2008, 22:46

I just got an SD Gecko last week as well. :rolleyes:

Dr Eggman
March 14th, 2008, 23:26
I just got an SD Gecko last week as well. :rolleyes:

Same!! Well, at least alpha2 doesn't give these probs. Until they fix the new one (alpha3[a]) I will continue to use alpha2 :thumbup:

____anders____
March 15th, 2008, 01:32
YAY!!

finally man, now i'm gonna borrow zelda from a friend :D, gonna test the emulators and mp3 player (awesome!)

the wii homebrew scene will surely grow now without the sdgecko requirement, and of course i'm gonna try the dol to elf converter too ;P

EDIT: post #90 :):D

retro fan
March 15th, 2008, 10:28
The newly refined and posted 3a Twilight hack works - allows me to play Tetris and runs the Genesis emu - just need an emu update so roms can be loaded from the now functional SD card and the scene will be on fire....

souLLy
March 15th, 2008, 10:57
If anyone's ultra impatient to play the genesis emu, you can always pick up an sdgecko card at dealextreme.com for like £2 and use the previous version of twilight hack.

I've been playing genesis for a few weeks like that (it is absolutely awesome by the way, I've had the aladdin soundtrack running round my head for ages because of it!)

retro fan
March 15th, 2008, 11:20
But the wise money suggests the emus will start appearing in hours or days rather than the weeks it might take to get one of these gizmos imported...

Additionally, hassle-free wii-mode emus give the double benefit of ease of use and the extra raw power under the hood of the Wii, rather than using Gamecube mode...

For those wanting an SD gizmo, who just CANNOT wait, here's just about the cheapest one on planet earth, with free delivery....

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4980

Oh, quick question. Does anyone KNOW what the biggest size standard SD card the Wii will accept is?
Also will it accept SDHC, if so up to what size?

andytjm
March 15th, 2008, 12:00
Oh, quick question. Does anyone KNOW what the biggest size standard SD card the Wii will accept is?
Also will it accept SDHC, if so up to what size?

It won't accept SDHC because they were invented after the Wii was made.
It definately accepts at least 1GB Because that's what i'm using, it will probably allow much more though.

rbervoets
March 15th, 2008, 12:01
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!

BEEN WAITING SOO LOONNG !"!!

Thx man, also ur voice owns :)

It won't accept SDHC because they were invented after the Wii was made.
It definately accepts at least 1GB Because that's what i'm using, it will probably allow much more though.

It accepts a maximum of 2gb m8 :thumbup:

retro fan
March 15th, 2008, 12:13
Wiki says 2GB too.... I'd have thought a firmware upgrade would have upped this by now to 4GB or more...

Don't suppose Nintendo will be too keen to up it given recent developments!

Best stock up on cheapo 2GB SD cards - theyre' still about, but getting more rare due to larger sizes and SDHC etc...

Play are preordering 2 for a tenner...Any better deals anywhere?

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=allproducts&searchstring=play+2gb+sd+2+pack&page=search&pa=search

seiryuken
March 15th, 2008, 14:35
NICE!!!! i woke up early in the morning and this is what i found, i tried it as fast as i could and was playing tetris. This is the start of something NICE!! ( well more like continuation) i really hope we get emus working soon ^.^

retro fan
March 15th, 2008, 15:23
This hack runs the Genesis emu - it just won't load the roms - yet

It's not converting it that is the issue, it is getting the roms to run off SD..

You don't need to convert a dol to elf to get the emu to run

Just download the emu file and change the file name genplus_wii.elf to boot.elf (using Windows)

Put the boot.elf file and all the others in the root ofthe SD card. Boot Zelda, load the hack save file, it will crash, the screen will go black,wait ten seconds and bingo - one Genesis emu (minus SD rom support, at the mo)...

knifethrower
March 15th, 2008, 15:24
It accepts a maximum of 2gb m8 :thumbup:
Some companies make 4gb non-sdhc cards that break spec but I have no idea if they work on the wii or not, their compatibility is spotty at best.

houseonfire
March 15th, 2008, 19:10
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/33/d97d4ed20cfcsc8.jpg
I get that when i try to boot the file.
it is tetris.elf, renamed to boot.elf.
on a 4GB FAT32 SD card.

Sir_Voe
March 15th, 2008, 19:33
on a 4GB FAT32 SD card.

You need to use FAT16, and I'm not sure Wii supports SDs over 2 GB

retro fan
March 15th, 2008, 20:03
Indeed, FAT 16 and 2gb SD card.
Also make sure u have the latest 3A file build...

paco9060
March 15th, 2008, 21:13
Dang, how long until they allow genplus to load from the front SD slot?

Also, is the snes emulator working in the same fashion as Genplus?

It's such a tease booting the Genplus menu, only to be unable to play!!! :(

andytjm
March 15th, 2008, 21:27
Dang, how long until they allow genplus to load from the front SD slot?

Also, is the snes emulator working in the same fashion as Genplus?

It's such a tease booting the Genplus menu, only to be unable to play!!! :(

The SNES emulator loads like the Genplus but you can't even use the controls to navigate through the menu, it just crashes, so it's useless at the moment.

icecoolwas
March 15th, 2008, 21:43
The fresh doors of homebrew has been opened =]

All ya basically need is a zelda game, An sd card (Format it to FAT16 (or if using vista, format it to FAT and underneath fat click 16 kilobytes sector then format) and a wii, three basic items.. zelda game..sd card and wii.. This mini guide will tell u how to do it for a PAL UK/EURO Wii

Once formatted download the latest zelda exploit, extract it (dont do anything else) then copy the zelda game from your wii to your sd card, go into the private folder, wii, title and ZTDP (These will be made by the wii) the file called data.bin rename it to Zeldab.bin and copy it to a place on ur harddrive otherwise ull lose the data. go into the extracted folder before, copy ZTDP0.bin and paste it in the same folder the one called ZTDP and rename it to Data.bin.. Ok the exploit has been installed, take out your sd card, put it into your wii, go to Save data, and copy the Chainloader that will show up on the sd card to the wii, once done your set, insert the zelda disk and boot it up, click load twighlight hack, ok now walk backwards and if A bunch of lines come up with writing, The exploit was installed sucessfully.

Now Wait for Wii homebrew to get opened up.. if ur not pateint then go get the tetris.elf and paste it in the root of the memory card and rename it to boot.elf now launch the hack through zelda and it will come up with tetris, you cant play unless u have a gamecube pad.. thats why i told u to wait for homebrew devs to release some wii remote compatible homebrew which will be soon =]

This exploit works On the latest wii firmware (3.2E) if theres a update higher then 3.2E do not update, its a possible patch and will probobly stop the zelda hack from working...

IN the future expect running linux on the wii.

rbervoets
March 15th, 2008, 23:27
The fresh doors of homebrew has been opened =]

All ya basically need is a zelda game, An sd card (Format it to FAT16 (or if using vista, format it to FAT and underneath fat click 16 kilobytes sector then format) and a wii, three basic items.. zelda game..sd card and wii.. This mini guide will tell u how to do it for a PAL UK/EURO Wii

Once formatted download the latest zelda exploit, extract it (dont do anything else) then copy the zelda game from your wii to your sd card, go into the private folder, wii, title and ZTDP (These will be made by the wii) the file called data.bin rename it to Zeldab.bin and copy it to a place on ur harddrive otherwise ull lose the data. go into the extracted folder before, copy ZTDP0.bin and paste it in the same folder the one called ZTDP and rename it to Data.bin.. Ok the exploit has been installed, take out your sd card, put it into your wii, go to Save data, and copy the Chainloader that will show up on the sd card to the wii, once done your set, insert the zelda disk and boot it up, click load twighlight hack, ok now walk backwards and if A bunch of lines come up with writing, The exploit was installed sucessfully.

Now Wait for Wii homebrew to get opened up.. if ur not pateint then go get the tetris.elf and paste it in the root of the memory card and rename it to boot.elf now launch the hack through zelda and it will come up with tetris, you cant play unless u have a gamecube pad.. thats why i told u to wait for homebrew devs to release some wii remote compatible homebrew which will be soon =]

This exploit works On the latest wii firmware (3.2E) if theres a update higher then 3.2E do not update, its a possible patch and will probobly stop the zelda hack from working...

IN the future expect running linux on the wii.

you have to actually put the file in the RZDE folder :)

trugamer
March 16th, 2008, 09:50
@Graxer
could it be the sd card your using? i had exactly the same problems when i tried kingston sd cards but not when i changed to a different brand

tehnoir
March 16th, 2008, 17:48
on a 4GB FAT32 SD card.

Same error but with a 2GB FAT 16 SD. I was trying to use Snes9xGx.wii_0.01b.dol renamed to boot.elf.

UPDATE:
I just tried this with my 1gb Toshiba SD card which worked with twilight-hack-v0.1-alpha2 and I still get the "No elf image" error trying to load GenPlus. When I get home tonight I'll try clearing and rewriting to the card a few times to see if I can figure it out. In the meantime, any suggestions for something I might have missed are welcome.

dudeofcube
March 16th, 2008, 21:22
WOW :eek: With this kind of progress in the homebrew scene, we could be running Ubuntu on the wii within the year. Front SD slot support, Homebrew channel on the way soon, the first real (as in not a tetris remake going on number 19933 and counting...) hombrew game(ballion-wii), HELL YEA
Wii + Twilight Hack + Linux =

http://www.falconers.eclipse.co.uk/nds/ZeldaTux.png

icecoolwas
March 16th, 2008, 23:30
you have to actually put the file in the RZDE folder :)

Its RZDP (FOR PAL) AND RZDE for NTFS also RZDJ for asia/japan

vicious1988
March 17th, 2008, 00:23
If I can ever get the controller working then I could have the first ACTUAL Wii build* of my 3D engine w/i a month.

* - Currently it runs in Flash.

tehnoir
March 17th, 2008, 02:45
I figured out my problem. It was that I'm an idiot. :)
I was using writeelf to put the ELF file on the SD card. After stepping away for a few hours and coming back, I re-read the directions to see it makes no mention of using writeelf. *slaps head* Got GenPlus to boot okay.

tehnoir
March 17th, 2008, 03:12
Play are preordering 2 for a tenner...Any better deals anywhere?

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=allproducts&searchstring=play+2gb+sd+2+pack&page=search&pa=search

For anyone in the US, I recently got two 2GB Kingston SD cards for $9.99 from Buy.com.
The Kingston's don't appear to have Free Delivery anymore, but you can pretty much get the same deal on this:
http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-4gb-2-x-2gb-secure-digital-cards-sd/q/loc/101/204821770.html
Two 2GB Crucial SD cards for $19.99, and if you sign-up for Google Checkout, you'll get $10 off your first purchase, with free S&H, bringing your total to $9.99.

halatosis
March 25th, 2008, 02:18
I finally found a wii scene alive with people. You guys rock and I can't wait for this to grow. Not only will this outgrow the psp homebrew, which I love to death, it will obliterate it. There is enough power in the wii to emulate N64, and once they get the wii motes going you could be playing it with Metroidish controls. I don't know this would eventually give the ability to dump and play backups, because my three year old and dog have an odd fascination with discs resembling frisbees. Like her favorite Halo 3 $60 frisbee. Any ways, can't wait for homebrew channel and kudos to everyone who cracked the wii.

tehnoir
March 25th, 2008, 05:34
I hate how the chit-chat dies out so quickly but I guess that's just how it goes at this stage of things.

nickerous
April 1st, 2008, 03:51
I can't get the wii to read anything on the SD card. I have not installed the hack. I go to the SD card in data management and nothing shows up.

vapblack
April 2nd, 2008, 12:34
what kind of sd do you have?

twistednick
April 3rd, 2008, 03:54
im pretty sure i did everything right but when i put my sd card in it doesnt show anything, it loads the card but nothing else. Help please

Angel1988
April 3rd, 2008, 18:40
Hello everyone,

Most of my homebrew (Snes emulator or with the multi elf loader, for example) appear in black and white...
Maybe anyone know how to fix this ?
Seems like I'm the only one to have this problem ^^

Heeeelppp ! ;-)

OutPhaseIccy
April 4th, 2008, 16:40
Is there any way to get any other emulators working using this trick other than SNES?

wisinx
April 4th, 2008, 17:21
YES, YOU CAN, USING THE .DOL TO .ELF PROGRAM
///CONVERT THE EMUS YOU HAVE FOR THE GAMECUBE TO .ELF AND DONE.//

kingslime80
April 4th, 2008, 18:05
By "Convert" do you mean "rename?"

tehnoir
April 4th, 2008, 19:24
By "Convert" do you mean "rename?"

No. I had questions about this a little while ago. You need to use dol2elf to change the file format. Simply renaming it will still leave it as a DOL, just with the wrong extension.

Also, converting a DOL to an ELF does not necessarily mean the homebrew will run as intended, or at all. It simply provides a file format that the Wii can read. Whether it will know what to do with the data itself is another question.

footballer62
April 6th, 2008, 22:12
well, i had a decent idea for running mutiple programs on the wii (getting around the single elf boot). Why not make a elf boot dash program, in which you can open other other programs such as music players, video players, emulators, any homebrew from the disk? makes sense to me atleast, but im no coder

dahun
April 19th, 2008, 00:36
i cant seem to get this to work
ive tried: both A and B versions, true sd format (idk if i did it right), FAT32 and FAT16 for both versions.
i get the screen to load then i get the READ_FILE error -1 thing sometimes it shows a little :( or it dumps some code or tries to load the same thing multiple times without success

h2923j42n2
April 19th, 2008, 01:52
i cant seem to get this to work
ive tried: both A and B versions, true sd format (idk if i did it right), FAT32 and FAT16 for both versions.
i get the screen to load then i get the READ_FILE error -1 thing sometimes it shows a little :( or it dumps some code or tries to load the same thing multiple times without success

Were you able to place both save files onto the Wii? If so, did you have a homebrew file on the SD card that was named as boot.elf?

tehnoir
April 19th, 2008, 01:58
My Wii was just dumping a screen at me and then I realized it's because I was still trying to load the ELF from the SDGecko, which this version doesn't like much. Are you loading from the front SD?

dahun
April 19th, 2008, 03:51
Were you able to place both save files onto the Wii? If so, did you have a homebrew file on the SD card that was named as boot.elf?

no its 1 at a time and yes

h2923j42n2
April 19th, 2008, 04:59
no its 1 at a time and yes

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. What brand of SD card are you using? Also, what is the homebrew file that you are trying to load? Also, are you trying to load from an SD Gecko or the Wii Front SD?

dahun
April 19th, 2008, 16:21
Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. What brand of SD card are you using? Also, what is the homebrew file that you are trying to load? Also, are you trying to load from an SD Gecko or the Wii Front SD?

canon SD and front

edit: tetris file

h2923j42n2
April 19th, 2008, 21:12
canon SD and front

edit: tetris file

Do you have another SD card, like a Sandisk one? I've heard of some people having problems with certain SD cards. It sounds like you are doing everything else correctly.

dahun
April 20th, 2008, 03:15
Do you have another SD card, like a Sandisk one? I've heard of some people having problems with certain SD cards. It sounds like you are doing everything else correctly.

i dont have another...
ill get another wen im out

xsomax
April 23rd, 2008, 18:44
This hack works for me, but when i do start a programm (for example homebrew loader) all is displayed in red. this occurs when im using this hack with my wii TV settings set on 60 hz.

Any idea?

dahun
April 23rd, 2008, 22:35
This hack works for me, but when i do start a programm (for example homebrew loader) all is displayed in red. this occurs when im using this hack with my wii TV settings set on 60 hz.

Any idea?

dont use 60 hz.

and i got a sandisk and it worked!
so im gonna confirm canon sd cards dont work i tried both of mine and no go 1st try with sandisk and it worked

Leesy
April 25th, 2008, 07:44
Just wanted to add that I've also had mixed luck with this depending on what SD card I use. My Panasonic 16MB card didn't work (just returned a lot of stuff like "retval=c00000102 result=00000000 00000000 00000000"). But my Kodak 1GB card has worked beautifully and I finally got to play SSBB last night :)

xsomax
April 25th, 2008, 13:16
Now my SNES Emulator works properly when my Console is enabled with 60 Hz. I do not know what the problem is ... the TV is capable to send NTSC (works with other games, and even an NTSC PS2) and the cable is also the correct one.

Is there maybe a PAL60 fix for the programm i use because all turns red when i am starting this (homebrew launcher). Maybe thats the cause.

____anders____
April 25th, 2008, 14:06
so you're using an RGB cable?

the RGB users get a red-screen problem..

no fix of the new version, that i can find..

xsomax
April 25th, 2008, 14:10
Why do we get this problem? I am not into that area ...
I have no other cable that can send an 60HZ signal ... in our territory the only other one would be component(or composite? xD) but for that u need an plasma TV, these are not spread in our country ...

I would appreciate an fix so that every PAL Wii owner is happy ;)

lodog
April 26th, 2008, 16:20
Graxer I had the exact same problem that you did when trying to load tetris. I switched my mem card to a sandisk mem card I also gave up on tetris and tried loading the snes emu. once i did this it worked! thought I'd let you know b/c I was getting that exact same screen that you posted. here is a link to the snes page (http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=Homebrew_apps/Snes9X_Wii) let me know if you have any luck.

Rebrek
May 19th, 2008, 03:12
I have a Wii, but LoZ:TP for Gamecube. I think I might be able to borrow a Wii copy from my friend, but not forever.

Can a channel be loaded onto a Wii with the Twilight Hack? If so, can it be accessed afterwards without a Twilight Princess disc?

h2923j42n2
May 19th, 2008, 07:51
I have a Wii, but LoZ:TP for Gamecube. I think I might be able to borrow a Wii copy from my friend, but not forever.

Can a channel be loaded onto a Wii with the Twilight Hack? If so, can it be accessed afterwards without a Twilight Princess disc?

Yes, but keep in mind, there is no 'official' Homebrew Channel yet. The unrestricted version that will be released by Team Twiizers will have more features, and a better interface than the cracked version. I don't know whether or not the unrestricted version can be installed with the cracked version or not.

Rebrek
May 20th, 2008, 01:29
Well then, school is about to let out and I'll try to snag a copy from my friends after the summer. Hopefully development will be far enough by then for me to be able to install a channel with little risk of bricking and with little need to update it.

Thanks for the info.

williamo555
May 26th, 2008, 07:07
Please Help with Twilight hack on Wii I know Im soooo close
private/wii/title/RZDE/data.bin data.bin is rzde2 usa version but theres no icon on Wii/SD menue what am I missing

benbag
May 26th, 2008, 08:44
hi mate the problem is this, and i know because i had the same bloody problem. mainly because its not stated in the instructions!

you need to just call the file : data

it is already a bin file, do not put the .bin in.

pissed me off so much lastnight then i had a look at my legit Zelda save, and noticed it just said data, but was a bin file.

scrabbus
May 26th, 2008, 22:05
Help I have tried that but all I get on the Data Management screen is ???? And no icon either , what am I doing wrong?

scrabbus
May 28th, 2008, 13:51
Ok done it now! Seems like I missed the most obvious thing!! And I have to say that this is great!!

telemu
July 20th, 2008, 15:07
Ok then, time for a Dumb Question:

Can I run backed-up games, converting the game to a format compatible with the Twilight Hack?

On an unmodded Wii, of course.

Thanks in advance for the info

Unicron2k
July 20th, 2008, 20:43
No, but bushing has found a(possible) way, and i hope to God he doesn't release it!
I have a theory myself how to do it, and I'm not about to tell anyone, nor will i try it, it might not even work. Besides, I can't code, and if I could, and went on making a way, I wouldn't even give it to my friends, nor would I use it, because bad games aren't worth copying, and good games deserve an original in my/your game colection.

And concerning running "back-up" games; go sc**w yourself and get a job, then buy them legaly!
However, if you created the backups yourself, from your OWN discs, I sincerely apologize for my rudenes. I just don't want Nintendo to shut down homebrew on the Wii, because of some cheapscates dont want to pay for good software(is it now?).

And lastly, a little message to all of those who want to copy games illegaly: Get off your ass and get a job!!!

Edit: Thanks for pointing that out masterchief929. English isn't my native language. Technically, it's my third, with german as my fourth. So in order, it will be norwegian, new norwegian, english, german, so it's a bit of a hassle remembering the right spelling sometimes. Yes, I'm from Norway, and yes, you read right; I'm supposed to know two closely related variations of my own language(stupid isn't it?)

masterchief929
July 20th, 2008, 22:10
i agree with unicron2k. buy games legally! we want to have homebrew on the wii so dont ruin the homebrew scene. i hope that the wii never has a problem with piracy!

BTW: unicron2k it is spelled job.

zillion94
July 23rd, 2008, 18:22
OK, Perhaps someone will help- Now that I am done installing the Homebrew channel, I've deleted the TP hack from my Wii. Now, how do I put back my original save game to resume Zelda where I left off? I have the game save file from my PC saved as data.bin and I put it on my SD card, but when I try and copy it from the wii system menu's SD browser, it does not see it. Am I doing something wrong?

h2923j42n2
July 23rd, 2008, 21:27
OK, Perhaps someone will help- Now that I am done installing the Homebrew channel, I've deleted the TP hack from my Wii. Now, how do I put back my original save game to resume Zelda where I left off? I have the game save file from my PC saved as data.bin and I put it on my SD card, but when I try and copy it from the wii system menu's SD browser, it does not see it. Am I doing something wrong?

On the root of the SD card, create a folder named 'private'. In the 'private' folder, create a folder named 'wii'. In the 'wii' folder, create a folder named 'title'. Finally, in the 'title' folder, create another folder named 'RZDE'. After all of this, place the 'data.bin' file inside the 'RZDE' folder. This should allow you to copy it back over.

ryohazuki1983
July 24th, 2008, 17:43
Hi i've got a few questions:

1) Can I run USA virtual console/WiiWare games on my PAL wii? as long as they are .wad files I thought it shouldnt matter?

2) Does the hack work with any PAL version of TP, ie is there only 1 version?

Cheers!

Unicron2k
July 26th, 2008, 05:58
1. Why don't you find out yourself?(and hopefully, fully brick your Wii in the process) ;)

2. PAL works on PAL, NTSC works on NTSC, and JP works on JP. Currently, there are four versions for each one; v0.1alpha1(loads an embedded elf), v0.1alpha2(loads an elf from the 1024KB mark on an SD-Gecko), v0.1alpha3(loads an elf/dol from front SD slot), and lastly, v0.1beta1(loads an elf/dol from front SD slot, compatible with system menu v3.3E/v3.3U/v3.3J)

Asking about piracy(in other words, question 1) ain't gonna score you any points here on the boards you know...

ryohazuki1983
July 26th, 2008, 11:48
1. Why don't you find out yourself?(and hopefully, fully brick your Wii in the process) ;)

2. PAL works on PAL, NTSC works on NTSC, and JP works on JP. Currently, there are four versions for each one; v0.1alpha1(loads an embedded elf), v0.1alpha2(loads an elf from the 1024KB mark on an SD-Gecko), v0.1alpha3(loads an elf/dol from front SD slot), and lastly, v0.1beta1(loads an elf/dol from front SD slot, compatible with system menu v3.3E/v3.3U/v3.3J)

Asking about piracy(in other words, question 1) ain't gonna score you any points here on the boards you know...

Yep I know, been a long time observer of the boards :) however theres games like defend your castle thats not even out here yet. Or games thats out but know nothing about.

If a game is worth buying i'll definately support the devs and pay for it, The problem with wiiware is that theres very little information about the games, they get added and simply say the title name, be handy if there were demos or at least screenshots, information or a trailer. But there ain't.

h2923j42n2
July 26th, 2008, 22:11
Yep I know, been a long time observer of the boards :) however theres games like defend your castle thats not even out here yet. Or games thats out but know nothing about.

If a game is worth buying i'll definately support the devs and pay for it, The problem with wiiware is that theres very little information about the games, they get added and simply say the title name, be handy if there were demos or at least screenshots, information or a trailer. But there ain't.

I just looked at the website for Nintendo of Europe (http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/wiiware_8378.html), and they give descriptions for the games that are on the WiiWare service. The few games that I checked do at least have a few images listed. You are right that many of the games do not have videos, but Nintendo of America (http://www.nintendo.com/wii/wiiware) does have videos for several games that are available for a PAL Wii. For any that do not have videos, I'm guessing that you can also search a site like YouTube and find one.