PDA

View Full Version : XBLA "full of sh*t" says Wii Software dev

Shrygue
March 14th, 2008, 19:49
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=184787)

Wii Software (aka WiiWare) developers have revealed Nintendo's "secret war" with Xbox Live Arcade, in a series of chats with game dev website Develop.

The developers, who are conveniently speaking under conditions of anonymity, have revealed Nintendo's plans to capitalise on developer's frustrations with Xbox Live Arcade, which recently had its developer royalties slashed in half.

According to Develop, Nintendo has been pitching to studios what it says is a "more flexible" game download service. Allegedly, it's also been plugging the fact that unlike XBLA, Wii Software won't be clogged with retro releases - something goat man Jeff Minter famously threw a wobbly over.

"Nintendo has made it very clear to us that we'll not only be making a better royalty rate from WiiWare games, but we'll also have a better chance of selling games - the service won't be clogged up with the retro titles that have blighted the chances of many independent studios on Xbox Live Arcade," said one studio boss, who didn't want to be named.

Another Wii Software developer added: "Frankly, we're not looking at making games for Xbox Live Arcade because the service is full of shit," pointing at its abundance of retro titles. Big words for an anonymous man.

Wii Software is set to launch in Japan at the end of the month with launch games including Pokemon Ranch, Dr. Mario and Star Soldier R. Yep, no retro remakes there at all.

Baboon
March 15th, 2008, 11:01
The selling point for me with live is that a lot of the games are retro titles! lol ...plus on live you also get the enhanced versions bundled with the same games! :)

Obviously MS have got things wrong with online multiplayer Streets of Rage 2, Gauntlet, Mortal Kombat 3, Street Fighter 2 (and the soon to be released SF2T HD Remix), Bomberman live, Sensible Soccer, Speedball 2, TMNT Arcade, Worms, Lumines, Doom... plus titles like Castlevania SOTN, Alien Homid HD etc? lol

Sounds like jealousy to me?

WhizzBang
March 15th, 2008, 11:23
I only ever play XBLA games on my XBox 360 these days so I think there are lots of good games on it. Of the recent releases, the chess game was very good but a bit over priced at 800 XBLA points.

The WiiWare service won't be clogged up with retro stuff as you can already get all that from the Virtual Console, so those Wii titles will still be up against stiff competition like Super Mario 64, Zelda, DK Country, etc.

wiggy fuzz
March 15th, 2008, 11:34
great, just what nintendo needs - a weakness. as soon as microsoft and sony hear this they'll start churning out stuff even more, as long as it hurts nintendo. i mean, that's like superman stating his weaknesses then telling batman "i hate you"

shadowprophet
March 15th, 2008, 13:44
great, just what nintendo needs - a weakness. as soon as microsoft and sony hear this they'll start churning out stuff even more, as long as it hurts nintendo. i mean, that's like superman stating his weaknesses then telling batman "i hate you"

So far nintendo had been respectful about this console war. I believe on more then one occasion, certain microsoft staff had not only admited to being a fan the wii console but even having having one.

These dissrespectful tactics. wont go over well with todays gamer.

With this single act, Nintendo may have sparked the ugly side of this console war:(

Way to go nintendo...

Dbgtgoten
March 15th, 2008, 15:40
lol thats all i have to say cause i'd only buy that final fantasy game for the wii but i'd dl so many other games on xboxlive if i had money thats what you can a EPENIS XD

ICE
March 15th, 2008, 16:20
So far nintendo had been respectful about this console war. I believe on more then one occasion, certain microsoft staff had not only admited to being a fan the wii console but even having having one.

These dissrespectful tactics. wont go over well with todays gamer.

With this single act, Nintendo may have sparked the ugly side of this console war:(

Way to go nintendo...

Ah but it was a developer who, judging by the context, seems to be from a third party. It looks like Nintendo hasn't done anything.

JKKDARK
March 15th, 2008, 16:26
Yeah, I don't think the own Nintendo developers care about the other machines. They are doing their own tactic.

sappo
March 15th, 2008, 18:08
Ah but it was a developer who, judging by the context, seems to be from a third party. It looks like Nintendo hasn't done anything.

Yeah, it's nothing official.

It's just some developer saying big things.

BTW, I really found XBLA stuffed with mediocre games. There are some that are good, but things like SOTN... I can play it on my PSX. I can't stand those blurred graphics.