PDA

View Full Version : Quake 3 Now Opensource!!!

Zazzzer
August 25th, 2005, 18:34
The source for quake 3 had just been released, go grab it here.
http://www.fileplanet.com

centroles
August 30th, 2005, 04:15
Sweet. Is anyone working on porting Quake 3 over to the PSP? Thanks to the bots and fast paced action, it's probably one of my all time 10 favorite games. And who knows, once the infrastructure code is cracked, a future version of quake 3 may support online play with the homebrew version. I would gladly donate via paypal to pay for such a server. You could require atleast a $2 paypal donation to use the server.

It's probably very hard but if all the settings are set to the lowest, sound is disabled, and using things like frameskip, i don't think it's impossible.

i mean it's not emulation, the actual code is provided, especially if the code is c++. I hear the PSP can do C++ very well. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about programming beyond that or I would gladly sign on to help with such a project.

if quake 3 is ported to the PSP homebrew community, i also hope it'll be full screen.

Pulling off quake 3 on the PSP would probably the homebrew community's greatest accomplishment. Whoever does it would certainly get a lifetime's worth of votes from me and probably many people for the best coder for that paypal contest they set up.

Mourningstar
August 30th, 2005, 06:57
Theres no coder brave enough to even try...hell, we dont even have Quake 1 at 100% yet....

Cap'n 1time
August 30th, 2005, 16:27
it could be done... well at least the engine could be ported. I doubt the game content would fit on the PSP.

BlackxKnight
August 31st, 2005, 19:32
it could be done... well at least the engine could be ported. I doubt the game content would fit on the PSP.pft ok 1time we'll settle for just multiplayer :P :D :rolleyes:

it seriously would be uber badass if they got this running tho.

Cap'n 1time
August 31st, 2005, 19:47
pft ok 1time we'll settle for just multiplayer :P :D :rolleyes:

it seriously would be uber badass if they got this running tho.

actually, if this were to happen, thats probably what you would see.

Its more likely this will see an xbox port though (from what i understand. thats really really easy).

Velo
September 1st, 2005, 23:13
could quake 3 even run at a decent frame rate on the PSP?

Kaiser
September 3rd, 2005, 08:47
could quake 3 even run at a decent frame rate on the PSP?
Nope, at least not if it was just a straight unaltered port. The Engine could get some great use out of some coders with some creativity (and patience).

Bytrix
September 13th, 2005, 14:30
I spent a whole weekend going over the Q3 source after release, and I only understood about 50% of it, having worked on my own engine before and a number of games I was hoping to learn some things from it, but it is a very straightforward BSP engine which was coded with efficiency in mind (there's alot of assembly in there).

I think it would be possible, but it'll be a very large project. Considering the resolution the PSP runs at, dropping the model complexity ALOT, aswell as texture resolution it could probably run at a decent speed, but I wouldn't expect to be playing it with your mates.

Myself, I'd much rather work with the Quake2 engine, I think it's more suited to the PSPs capabilities.

Cap'n 1time
September 14th, 2005, 19:40
Myself, I'd much rather work with the Quake2 engine, I think it's more suited to the PSPs capabilities.

if you do il kiss you.

alucart13
March 27th, 2007, 23:41
quake 3 would be better, but its damn near impossible.
it could be done by someone with extremely good c++
coding knowledge, and with at least some idea of how the main quake 3 engine runs, other than that no. personally, i would love it, because i am a big quake fan, but i have tried, and i failed miserably, so good luck to the next coder to try.

-cheers Alucart13

wolfpack
March 28th, 2007, 00:05
i already play quake 2 on my psp because i have the quake 2 game for ps1. however, if the engine gets ported, id be willing to try it out.

quake 3 would be good, but i highly doubt anyone here at dcemu would be willing to work out all the kinks to make it work 90-100%

HardHat
March 28th, 2007, 16:54
Well, the ioquake3 engine is looking pretty nice for porting. But I probably won't give it a try until summer. I'd love to play Tremulous on the PSP. As for frame rate, texture resolution and so on, I couldn't speculate how the PSP would perform. But I do know, that with tuning I've been pleased with how it does with my own game engine.

JLF65
March 30th, 2007, 07:07
Good grief! How soon they forget... :rolleyes:

For people with Swiss cheese memories - Q3A premiered on the original iMac (Apple made a HUGE deal out that): a 233MHz G3 PowerPC with 32M of memory and the ancient and underpowered ATI Rage 128 (well before the Radeon series). A 300 MHz G3 with Rage 128 got from 80 to 40 FPS at 640x480 (a much higher res than the PSP would be using), depending on the settings. A Mac 8600 with a 250MHz 604e and a Voodoo 1 card got about 30 FPS at 640x480.

A PSP is EASILY capable of running Q3A at playable speeds. :cool:

Bytrix
March 31st, 2007, 00:12
But can that same system run the latest patched (and updated) version of Q3A? Each patch added bits of new material and updates (over about 5+ years) so the GPLd source code is quite different from the original version.

Plus, we are talking about porting a game, so it takes ALOT of work to get it to run at the same speed, especially considering the differences in hardware.

There are a few things that severely hinder the development of a Quake3 port on the PSP, one of the most important being the Graphics unit not supporting multi-texturing (as the shadows in levels were produced using this method).

uk_resistant
October 14th, 2007, 12:36
I imagine that it would be a good idea to go into the actual artwork and resize some of the textures and maybe optimise the levels better for psp.
Some of the textures are 512x512 and 256x256 which considering the Psp's screen isnt needed (well certainly for 512*s).

michalt441
February 25th, 2008, 19:53
That would be killer if Q3 were on PSP.

n8archer_XI
April 6th, 2008, 01:09
make it!!!

michalt441
April 8th, 2008, 00:16
i said it would be killer because it would be so awesome. anyone working on psp port? i really want quake 3 on psp!

FoShizzle17
April 8th, 2008, 01:50
I think we should stick with quake 2 for now and devs should try to make mods for that. But we need a good quake 2 port before devs can start modding it.

n8archer_XI
April 11th, 2008, 02:43
shut up; destroying hopes and sh*t...

noname1
July 16th, 2008, 01:14
I'm getting sick of people who say's that it's impossible to create a port of quake 3 to the PSP because it doesn't has enough RAM.
I'm playing quake 3 on my dell axim x51v with only 32 mb free RAM and it runs good altough you need a fast pda for it.
so it's possible to create a port of quake 3 to the PSP especially for the PSP slim wit 64 mb RAM.

halo9449
October 11th, 2008, 13:43
Well, then you have to figure out how much RAM would be used from the actual running of the homebrew app, which could vary a lot. But yes, with the Slim's amount of RAM, it's quite possible. Of course, I never saw much use in spending EVEN MORE money on a Slim (would be my 3rd PSP) just for twice the RAM. Sure, it would come in handy, but before you know it, Sony's out with something 'better' (harder to mod), that has even more capabilities... It would bring me into the vicious buying cycle I don't really want to enter... That is, if Sony ups the PSP's performance yet again.

monstercamf
January 16th, 2009, 17:18
hey guys it isnt impossible, i run q3 years ago on my shitty amd k6 with 32 mb ram, 400 mhz, 8mb video memory...

The psp slim is much better that this system because the psp os doesnt eat resources like win98 does, plus the texture resolution doesnt need to be the same than the pc version, because you wont notice the difference (the psp res is very low compared to pc). Also as i know the psp runs some linux based os, maybe someone could try to port the linux quake 3 version...

The only problem is that as it seems q3 is very optimized, which makes it difficult to port without spending ages on it.

Definetly if someone ports it, it would be the BEST game on psp.

JLF65
January 17th, 2009, 09:13
hey guys it isnt impossible, i run q3 years ago on my shitty amd k6 with 32 mb ram, 400 mhz, 8mb video memory...

You ran it with VIRTUAL MEMORY. The PSP doesn't have the ability to do that. Without VM, you need at least 64 MB of real memory.

The psp slim is much better that this system because the psp os doesnt eat resources like win98 does, plus the texture resolution doesnt need to be the same than the pc version, because you wont notice the difference (the psp res is very low compared to pc). Also as i know the psp runs some linux based os, maybe someone could try to port the linux quake 3 version...

The PSP OS is not linux based in the slightest. The homebrew SDK is mostly POSIX compliant, which makes porting linux apps easier, but it's nothing like linux. The biggest differences are in the areas that mean the most with games: video, sound, and input. So it's still a major effort porting many games.

The only problem is that as it seems q3 is very optimized, which makes it difficult to port without spending ages on it.

Definetly if someone ports it, it would be the BEST game on psp.

Q3 is doable on the Slim. It's just a lot of work that devs aren't willing to do just yet. Someone will eventually.

zxxxy18
January 22nd, 2009, 19:02
if you do il kiss you.

yeah =D me too!

GAMEfreak88
March 29th, 2009, 16:24
its not like it would be impossible to write a prx assigning a small part of memory stick space for use as additional ram, no?

the transfer speed of any decent stick should be able to more than handle q3a + minor additional strain from such a use.

JLF65
March 29th, 2009, 23:32
its not like it would be impossible to write a prx assigning a small part of memory stick space for use as additional ram, no?

the transfer speed of any decent stick should be able to more than handle q3a + minor additional strain from such a use.

The CPU in the PSP doesn't have an MMU, so conventional virtual memory is impossible. You'd need to rewrite a compiler so that every access to memory is instead made into a subroutine that emulated an MMU. That would slow the programs dramatically. So in the end, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Nokiaman
April 4th, 2009, 19:55
Even Nokia N95 8GB,N82 and E90 can run it. Why not PSP?

JLF65
April 5th, 2009, 07:57
Read the full thread.

ftballplayer1
July 16th, 2009, 17:15
Here you go guys!

Quake 3 arena for the PSP!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

*For PSP Phats*

http://www.filefront.com/13933610/Quake_3_Arena.rar

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*For PSP Slims*

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9LU87QZ0

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just copy the Quake 3 Arena folder into your game folder.

Enjoy!

lcswoosh05
July 17th, 2009, 15:53
The one for PSP phat link doesn't work. Could the link for the PSP Slim work for the phat PSP? Since the link for the slim works.

ftballplayer1
July 20th, 2009, 16:10
the link for the phat works, i just tried it

http://www.filefront.com/13933610/Quake_3_Arena.rar/

lcswoosh05
July 28th, 2009, 02:52
Ya it wasn't working at first but I tried it later and it worked. But my other question is that is there a difference on the actial file between the phat and the slim version Quake 1 Arena? I need to know if there is any difference or are they the same files.

playgamerz
October 22nd, 2009, 00:52
hey guys it's slow

some body know how to speed it up ?

thanks

^___^