PDA

View Full Version : PSP-Poker, anyone interrested?

royale
March 15th, 2008, 21:20
Hello,

I have been very impressed by the number of feedbacks I have received on my first PSP projects, Chromium-PSP and PSP-Maps.

So I would like to start a new project, but first I want to have your feelings about it.
And of course I will continue improving PSP-Maps anyway.

My idea is to make a 2D network poker game.
I don't think there is already such a project, am I wrong?
Are there any homebrew or commercial games that allow network games against real players with the PSP?

I don't want to spend too much time working on the server and the rules, so I have investigated to find open-source poker solutions. I found mainly two:
- Pok3D, that I already used before, and it has got a 2D client. Unfortunately it is written in Python. And the community is not very big. So I think it is not the good choice.
- PokerTH, which is a QT client. Here also the portage won't be possible (too many dependencies), so I will have to rewrite a client from scratch. But at least in this case the network protocol is well documented, and the community is quite big (many online players).

I am not a big poker player myself, but I think it can be fun to play on the PSP.
So, what do you think of this idea?

Tesseract
March 15th, 2008, 21:24
That might be fun to poke at. Also, with a relatively simple base game, you can focus on playing around with other bells and whistles like Voice Chat and Network Play or even player avatar pictures.

I think it would be worth your while! Just make sure it's got a single-player mode with decent AI, too. Multiplayer's fun, but you can't ALWAYS be around a WiFi hotspot!

titch.ryan
March 16th, 2008, 17:27
if it is texas hold em poker that would be great on the psp.

royale
March 16th, 2008, 17:41
Yes I forgot to mention this. It would be Texas Hold'em.

MK2k
April 9th, 2008, 18:57
Why not let it be possible to have many poker games (Omaha, Texas Holdem etc.) be supported? :)

A pokerstars(tm) client for the PSP would be ace :P

JKKDARK
April 9th, 2008, 21:24
I like the idea, of course. Sadly I still didn't learn how to play this game :/

LargoUsagi
April 9th, 2008, 22:55
i like the sound of the idea, poker is a fun game to play with other people every once in a while

Mr-S
April 21st, 2008, 19:31
are you doing a poker game which is user vs ai (psp) or multi ad hoc poler??
that would be sweet... kinda a nerdy way to sit round a suspicious table smokin, playin poker on psp.... :rofl: drinkin beer, or shandy if ya mom wont let u hav the good stuff :D

thecobra
April 23rd, 2008, 12:39
great idea
i hope you built it

bryan2125
April 25th, 2008, 21:36
this is one hell of an idea. if you can get this online so we can have multiple players from all over the country would be even better. i support all the way

royale
April 28th, 2008, 09:28
Just to give some updates and precisions:
- I did not start the development of this project, it is just an idea currently.
- It will be a 2D poker game.
- Only Texas Holdem.
- Only network game against other players on internet, no AI (at least at the beginning).
- I think I may use the PokerTH network, which is well documented.

staticshade
April 28th, 2008, 09:43
there are already commercial psp titles that do this and support multiplay but i guess you should still go for it

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 2nd, 2008, 19:36
there are already commercial psp titles that do this and support multiplay but i guess you should still go for it

These titles do not support online play.

You should add PSP cam support so you actually have to use a poker face!

Fle3p
November 11th, 2008, 11:50
Yeah deffinately, my only question would it be restricted to ad-hoc alone, or could you play against AI also? but fer sure ... I'd deffinately get it and spread the word ;)