PDA

View Full Version : Wii Homebrew Channel Video

wraggster
March 16th, 2008, 16:48
Team Twiizers have posted a video of their upcoming Wii Homebrew Channel for the Nintendo Wii, to say that Wii Homebrew is exciting at this time is an understatement.

Heres the video:

http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/1160910/wii_homebrew_channel.swf

Post your verdicts via Comments

retro fan
March 16th, 2008, 17:09
Deep joy - LOL if the hackers actually ADD a WII channel to the main menu

Interesting video, though quite difficult to read exactly what is going on.

Either way, lightening fast progress towards homebrew heaven.

Genius. Sheer genius.

____anders____
March 16th, 2008, 17:26
HOLY CRAP!!

awesome!

i have nothing to say but, i hope we only need to have the zelda game once, just to add the channel and to update the channel.

THE SCENE IS GOING TO EXPLODE!
cus now you only have to borrow the game from a friend or something.. hopefully..

supersoni88
March 16th, 2008, 17:29
omg this is too awesome. cant wait for some more homebrew and a working Snes emulator (gens is fine too)

souLLy
March 16th, 2008, 17:44
epic... I cannot wait for this

____anders____
March 16th, 2008, 17:55
keyboard support would be awesome, and a DOS emulator would be awesome, i would love to play the old games again on the wii, like jazz jackrabbit and jill of the jungle.

those games played in fullspeed in the DOS emulator on xbox so i think the wii would be able to play them too.

and of course a snes emulator so i can play seiken densetsu 3 (secret of mana 2), the BEST rpg game of all time.

seiryuken
March 16th, 2008, 18:02
NICE!!! like always this is the best scene at the moment, in my opinion the psp had its spot in the sunlight but it moved aside for the wii. hope we get much more in the days 2 come.

limming
March 16th, 2008, 18:03
Anders, The Wii already has keyboard support.

But yeah, they did this with only the twilight hack, nothing else? Would this mean homebrew could be possible without a hard mod??
That would be awesome but could lead to some headaches for Nintendo....
I really hope the Wii doesn't end up like the psp.

____anders____
March 16th, 2008, 18:08
i know it has the keyboard support but i mean for the homebrew channel, so someone can make a dos emu or something, cus playing a dos game with the wiimote would be hard..

but i guess you could play it with a gamecube controller though..

Cloudhunter
March 16th, 2008, 19:33
Awesome news :D Hopefully they'll find a way without Zelda :)

Cloudy

Dr Eggman
March 16th, 2008, 19:59
Cool! Maybe we can make a channel for controlling GC Games with a Classic controller.

Even we can maybe define the Image and sound in the ELF File! So, like the PSP, it (the channel) will look like we want it to!

Anyway, if they can make a homebrew channel, then i CANNOT wait until someone make a Custom Firmware!!!

BoazAdreal
March 16th, 2008, 20:00
Awesome news :D Hopefully they'll find a way without Zelda :)

Cloudy
I wouldn't mind having to do it initially but would definately be a pain if I can't remove the hack later on for some Zelda goodness.

ninja9393
March 16th, 2008, 20:17
AWESOME

man i can't wait!!!

DimensionT
March 16th, 2008, 20:29
I'm probably the only one that doesn't think this is a completely good thing... Custom channels means hacked channels, and hacked channels mean pirated channels. Once people start editing the VC games to play on any Wii (even if they haven't bought it) then Nintendo will have good reason to crack down on our progress.

Dr Eggman
March 16th, 2008, 20:57
I'm probably the only one that doesn't think this is a completely good thing... Custom channels means hacked channels, and hacked channels mean pirated channels. Once people start editing the VC games to play on any Wii (even if they haven't bought it) then Nintendo will have good reason to crack down on our progress.

Well, look at ALL homebrew. All have a downside. A unsigned code side, and a Piracy side.

DPyro
March 16th, 2008, 21:02
Nintendo will be making boatloads of money either way.

ciper
March 16th, 2008, 21:45
I know this is a work in progress but if you watch the end of the video it says its waiting to recieve data. Where is it waiting to receive it from is my question. Could Team Twiizers be working on a way to "stream" data from another network device (say using tftp)?

If so that would be most excellent since I can use cheap storage (hard drives) to keep copies of whatever homebrew I want to run.

It reminds me of the Phantasy Star Online hacks.

Cloudhunter
March 16th, 2008, 21:51
I wouldn't mind having to do it initially but would definately be a pain if I can't remove the hack later on for some Zelda goodness.

You only need it initially when this comes out :)

Cloudy

Zimond
March 16th, 2008, 21:58

There is no way opening a homebrew ability without opening a way to pirate games... Imho, i don't want loose a homebrew option just because some retards think they have to pirate games. Also, since modchips made pirated games possible long time ago this is not such a big deal.

shadowprophet
March 16th, 2008, 22:10
very suave.

icecoolwas
March 16th, 2008, 23:19
Yeah, You'll need the zelda game once, but this is flipping dangerous, its gunna write the channel to the flash and modify some strings in the wii's flash memory, just hope when you do it your eletricity dosnt go off otherwise your wii will be bricked! but its a on off once it installs the Libarys and elf loader you'll never need to do it again, I can imagine wii custom firmware with recovery mode if you hold 1 and B at the same time lol. iso loader please =] I wanna iso loader to backup my games.

DimensionT
March 16th, 2008, 23:35
Well, look at ALL homebrew. All have a downside. A unsigned code side, and a Piracy side.

Not all homebrew has a piracy side to it. Only ISO loaders and emulators. Nintendo has no real reason to get pissed about use making our own games, but when there's money involved they will.

I'm just saying that staying away from the stuff that'll make Nintendo mad untill we have a "Not so easily fixed" way of booting homebrew would be the best way to go.

Giving them a reason to block us out at this point will just take us back to square one sooner... And with still having relatively minimal knowledge of bypassing the security, this isn't a good thing.

ciper
March 17th, 2008, 00:06
Yeah, You'll need the zelda game once, but this is flipping dangerous, its gunna write the channel to the flash and modify some strings in the wii's flash memory, just hope when you do it your eletricity dosnt go off otherwise your wii will be bricked! but its a on off once it installs the Libarys and elf loader you'll never need to do it again, I can imagine wii custom firmware with recovery mode if you hold 1 and B at the same time lol. iso loader please =] I wanna iso loader to backup my games.
Tell me how this is different from downloading something from the shop channel or upgrading your firmware over the internet?

vicious1988
March 17th, 2008, 00:27
I don't really see how it would brick your Wii unless Nintendo released a patch to block it (which would most likely just delete the channel each time you turn on the Wii).

My Wii has shut off while d/ling VC games a few times and I just turn it back on and try again.

Eviltaco64
March 17th, 2008, 00:52
It's gonna be like a modded Xbox with more support and Nintendo games! Can't wait.

AuroEdge
March 17th, 2008, 03:59
Could you just delete the duplicate channel whenever you wanted? Would a Wii firmware update remove the channel or would you have to do something else?

shadowprophet
March 17th, 2008, 04:20
Could you just delete the duplicate channel whenever you wanted? Would a Wii firmware update remove the channel or would you have to do something else?
This is just a shot in the dark. but im guessing after you have the channel writen in the wii firmware. you wont need to boot zelda or the twlight hack to play homebrew. this channel will always be there. always ready to boot homebrew. is my assumption...

"they are moving the exploit into a channel on the wii" *thats the way I saw it anyway.

ICE
March 17th, 2008, 04:41
That was my take as well. We both could be way off though :P
I hope thats what it was though..

shadowprophet
March 17th, 2008, 05:43
That was my take as well. We both could be way off though :P
I hope thats what it was though..

confirmed by bushing himself,

believe it or not the only hold up on this channel is that they want to change the hack so they have their very own channel not a copy of the mii channel which would be illegel,

proof (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97764)

In my latest post, I got this information on irc from bushing himself.

i'm on the bleeding edge of this thing brother :cool:

dont believe the shadow?
read down, (http://mitglied.lycos.de/ps2dev/ballion.html)

something that runs on your wii that isnt tetris:cool:

yes yes I am on the very top of this scene so hard :cool:

vicious1988
March 17th, 2008, 07:28
I can promise at least two things from myself. One being a port of an old game I made. And the other being a port of my 3D engine (current Flash version (http://www.moddb.com/engines/40/paradigm-engine)).

rememberthe8bit
March 17th, 2008, 10:17
keyboard support would be awesome, and a DOS emulator would be awesome, i would love to play the old games again on the wii, like jazz jackrabbit and jill of the jungle.

those games played in fullspeed in the DOS emulator on xbox so i think the wii would be able to play them too.

and of course a snes emulator so i can play seiken densetsu 3 (secret of mana 2), the BEST rpg game of all time.

Well, the XBOX had a PC processor...

____anders____
March 17th, 2008, 11:47
yeah but anyways, it's cool :)

btw, only 2 posts away from being a dcemu regular :D

idapimp
March 18th, 2008, 00:16
i cant wait. this is going to be fun. hopefully this doesnt turn out like the psp scene where all that is released nowadays is custom themes. and half-assed games.

LordSturm
March 18th, 2008, 05:31
If this turns out to be a way to "flash" a permanent channel to the Wii, that simply loads an elf off the root of the Wii-SD slot, it is truly all we need. ( Until Wii updates kill it. )

Even better, if it becomes as easy as copying a channel off the SD card in the first place, even cooler.

Hopefully this development does NOT lead to piracy, and Nintendo's efforts are only concentrated on the modchip scene.

The people who want to see piracy to come out of this, PLEASE just get a modchip and leave. ( They are cheap, and less detectable than a soft-modded wii anyway. )

i cant wait. this is going to be fun. hopefully this doesnt turn out like the psp scene where all that is released nowadays is custom themes. and half-assed games.

The psp scene rolled on for a good 3-5 years, it's dying because it's old.

The Wii scene has just begun, and thankfully isn't revolving around piracy. ( just yet, -_- )

____anders____
March 18th, 2008, 11:12
the only piracy that will appear imo will be emulators, cus the wii still can't read burned DVDs without a modchip.

but still, i think that nintendo will get alot of money from VC, because not all are interested in homebrew and perhaps don't dare to install the channel and crash their wii using buffer overflow, not everyone likes zelda and won't buy it, like me.

i think zelda looks better in 2d like the first one on NES (it's awesome!), but i will borrow zelda tomorrow from a friend just to use this exploit :) i just hope that his version is supported though..

EDIT: and not everyone are looking for an exploit that will crash your wii, no one that i know have ever heard about this exploit, until i told them :D but they're not good with computers so they've never even heard the word "exploit", or "buffer overflow".

but me.. i'm actually looking for a way to hack all my consoles, cus it's so fun to do something with a console that was never ever supposed to do that, like installing a homebrew channel on my wii :D

idapimp
March 18th, 2008, 17:48
team twiizers has already stated that they are going to stay legal land not create an iso loader. i am in all honesty kinda happy about that b/c it does nothing but harm a scene buy giving it a bad name and kills developer motivation for original content. not to mention harms the sales of good video games for an awesome system and gives them reason to go after the scene. hopefully the ability to program for use of the wiimote helps inspire creativity in homebrew. i feel all gidddy and retarded like when the psp scene was in its prime. i keep checking the wii news about once every hour or two.

DPyro
March 18th, 2008, 18:38
You have to be kidding yourself if you think piracy won't come from homebrew on the Wii. Just look how fast people created modchips just to run backups of Wii/Gamecube games.

____anders____
March 18th, 2008, 22:17
but still, it`s VERY good that twiizers won`t make an iso loader :) imho it`s very good that they stay `legal` so nintendo may not consentrate on the exploit and patch it, you gotta admit that`s good, so they can take down the `chippers` instead :D so we can play around with our homebrew stuff a little while longer :)

EDIT: i`m a dcemu regular now :D, post #100 :D

EDIT 2: oh and btw, the modchips are only built for one thing only: playing "backups" and tell me if you think that playing a backup of a commercial game with an illegal modchip is homebrew.
if you have real skills you will find a way to play homebrew without a hardware mod or voiding your warranty, like team twiizers and all the other awesome hackers in the scene..
ps. a modchip isn`t hard to do when there`s a big friggin port inside your wii that`s screaming MOD ME!

idapimp
March 19th, 2008, 02:13
i know piracy will come. piracy runs rampant on every console that gets released nowadays. I'm just relieved that team twiizers isn't doing it. i am sure that someone however will come along within the next month or 2 and create a backup loader. it sucks but its bound to happen. i still can't wait to see some original wii homebrew. maybe an awesome SDK would be written to make stuff easier. on the topic of the homebrew loader i think it would be great if it copies the hack to the system channels and when you boot up the hack it starts a boot.elf that loads a menu of a directory on the sd card that contains multiple elf files named after the program (i.e. tetris.elf) and then loads the elf of choice. that'd be nice.

watupgroupie
March 19th, 2008, 02:26
I can't wait for the wii homebrew scene to start booming. To be honest, I don't really care all that much if piracy comes out of this. It's happened before and I don't have high hopes that it won't.

You guy's are all complaining that the psp scene is crap now, it's true but thats because all of the stuff that is probable to be done has been done. You need to take what is there and use it to the fullest. There is emulators for tons of systems. A handful of good homebrew games that i'm still discoverying, plus releases from sony that are quite fun. Sorry to bust on the wii section here.

If you guys are worried about your power gowing out while it writes to the flash for like 30 seconds your power must go out a lot. I live in the sticks and my power doesn't even go out that much.

Will this channel be like the downloader on the ipod touch and iphone where you use it and you select what you want to download on it?

idapimp
March 19th, 2008, 03:46
from what i can tell this homebrew channel will just be the zelda exploit, but you'll only have to boot up zelda one time unlike now where you have to boot it up every single time. i haven't read many dev notes about the system but this zelda exploit could very well be the exploit that helps everything get moving. we may not even have to run zelda. they may just release the channel to copy over already pre-setup. not sure about that though, because that may infringe on nintendo code copyrights, not sure. im not a coder yet.

icecoolwas
March 19th, 2008, 15:25
but still, it`s VERY good that twiizers won`t make an iso loader :) imho it`s very good that they stay `legal` so nintendo may not consentrate on the exploit and patch it, you gotta admit that`s good, so they can take down the `chippers` instead :D so we can play around with our homebrew stuff a little while longer :)

EDIT: i`m a dcemu regular now :D, post #100 :D

EDIT 2: oh and btw, the modchips are only built for one thing only: playing "backups" and tell me if you think that playing a backup of a commercial game with an illegal modchip is homebrew.
if you have real skills you will find a way to play homebrew without a hardware mod or voiding your warranty, like team twiizers and all the other awesome hackers in the scene..
ps. a modchip isn`t hard to do when there`s a big friggin port inside your wii that`s screaming MOD ME!

Some of you people dont even know what your talking about, The wii can play Home burned DVD's without a Modchip, Of course it wont work because Its been blocked by nintendo's firmware and the modchip tricks the flash NAND into saying its a regular game. The wii has the internals to run many things, Iso's, Backups etc without a modchip, There just has to be the right homebrew to do it, Many of you say Thank god no ones going to make a iso loader, rofl think again, How many coders coded ISO loaders for the psp? Lemme think.. Stonecut, Ahman, Dark_Alex and TEAM noobz, don't forget team C+D.. No doubt if team Twiizers dont make a iso loader someone else will.. Someones bound to make a Iso Loader or a Flasher that flashes all the security loops to allow playing Backups... Theres loads of people that will do it, and if no one does, people who code modchips are bound to do it.. of course i dont endorse into piracy, I just want to backup my games to an iso format, it loads much quicker and no cds required (Apart from the first time you rip the cd to the sd card). Most of you people need to get a grip on what you talk about, you just give out wrong info and think its cool, its really not.

EDIT: The Wii has a potential, Just like the psp had, of course Developers will stop making good games and try to sue Nintendo because of piracy, but as long Piracy has nothing to do with me i dont care, I dont care about nintendo, nintendo has to care about the customer, and punish some who think piracy is the way to go (its really not) im not bothered about game devs stopping, think about the 360, even after mod chips devs are pushing the games, i just want to push my wii to the max, Overclock it for speed, Push gaming to the max, Linux.. And most likely it will be able to run Windows xp. Who agrees?

DPyro
March 19th, 2008, 15:41
Team Twiizers says the USB and SD are not fast enough to load images, so if it were to even happen it would only be through DVDs.

____anders____
March 19th, 2008, 16:28
icecoolwas, i know it actually can read burned dvds, but what i meant was that it's blockig them so in other words,

aah i forgot what to say, but i can asure you that i'm not a noob, so i know what i'm talking about, i've been hacking almost all of my consoles, mobile phone flashing, my sandisk sansa (c my sig :D)
and many other cool stuff..

EDIT: you do have right in one thing, pretty much everyone want to have linux in their wii ( i'm one of them :)), actually imho linux is better than windows, and with cedega you can play windows games on it and sometimes it's even better performance than in windows :), i know all the games i've tried have better performance on linux with cedega than my windows vista. :)
EAT THAT M$ !! mwahahah :D

pibs
March 19th, 2008, 17:21
As long as the homebrew doesn't create cheaters on online games then im all for it. An app that simplifies sharing friend codes and adding them would be great too imo.

idapimp
March 19th, 2008, 18:31
Some of you people dont even know what your talking about, The wii can play Home burned DVD's without a Modchip, Of course it wont work because Its been blocked by nintendo's firmware and the modchip tricks the flash NAND into saying its a regular game. The wii has the internals to run many things, Iso's, Backups etc without a modchip, There just has to be the right homebrew to do it, Many of you say Thank god no ones going to make a iso loader, rofl think again, How many coders coded ISO loaders for the psp? Lemme think.. Stonecut, Ahman, Dark_Alex and TEAM noobz, don't forget team C+D.. No doubt if team Twiizers dont make a iso loader someone else will.. Someones bound to make a Iso Loader or a Flasher that flashes all the security loops to allow playing Backups...

well of course. i said that would happen. you're just reiterating something said already. i just said i'm happy twiizers isnt doing it. it gives me more respect for the dev, such as fanjita. i feel alot can come from this. i cant wait for linux to work. i dont think windows will ever run decently on this just due to the fact that the pc hardware that supports windows will prolly have to be emulated. the wii has an IBM Power PC processor. similar to the ones in the old macs. i dont think the power pc processors handle the same instruction set as an intel or AMD chip.

Most of you people need to get a grip on what you talk about, you just give out wrong info and think its cool, its really not.

personally i don't think anyone has given any wrong info here yet except you. we are all making assumptions and voicing our hopes. so try to not be an ass. ok. its to early to set anything in stone on what can and can't be done on the wii.

icecoolwas
March 19th, 2008, 20:05
personally i don't think anyone has given any wrong info here yet except you. we are all making assumptions and voicing our hopes. so try to not be an ass. ok. its to early to set anything in stone on what can and can't be done on the wii.

Me being a ass? Er not really.. Keep your whiny ass opinion to your self, Considering your trying to get an insult back at me.

BTW (for the other guy), The sd card is fast enough to read Iso's (Well i think anyway), Many Sd memory cards have a read speed up to 10megs a second, I'm sure DVD discs are lower then that. Team Twiizers, and the Homebrew scene will see it happen. Btw, a Psps pro duo has a slower read speed then a usb dongle, it still can read games up to about 3x faster then the UMD. Unless i see proof, I'm not giving it up.

idapimp
March 19th, 2008, 22:41
yes but the read speed isnt just dependent on the card. it also depends on the reader. and as far as umd on mem stick a portable umd has to load much less data than a next gen console. for all we know nintendo may have skimped the wii on the sd reader and the usb ports.

watupgroupie
March 19th, 2008, 23:06
The SD reader on the wii is a lot like the one built into my computer. I would have to say that it can't read wii images fast enough. Icecoolwas, you are feeding innacurrate information. Team noobz and team c+d did not make iso loaders. Just thought I'd point that out. You are right that it has to do with the firmware on the wii as to the reason it won't read burnt cd's. Can anyone tell me if the hardware on the wii is much better than an original xbox?

DPyro
March 19th, 2008, 23:07
The speed happens to be with the SD Card controller an not SD cards themselves.

souLLy
March 19th, 2008, 23:15
cut out the warez loading chat folks, the wiibrew guys have said they won't be working on it and we don't allow discussion like that here anyway.

icecoolwas
March 20th, 2008, 13:05
The SD reader on the wii is a lot like the one built into my computer. I would have to say that it can't read wii images fast enough. Icecoolwas, you are feeding innacurrate information. Team noobz and team c+d did not make iso loaders. Just thought I'd point that out. You are right that it has to do with the firmware on the wii as to the reason it won't read burnt cd's. Can anyone tell me if the hardware on the wii is much better than an original xbox?

No.. I'm not, I stated above that In my opinion i think its fast enough, untill i see proof you can keep arguing, otherwise forget it.