PDA

View Full Version : FCEUltra for PS2 - NES emulator for PS2

wraggster
March 16th, 2008, 22:24
Bootsector (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9893) has released another emulator for the PS2, aint it great to see so many homebrew releases on the PS2 as of late :)

Heres the release details:

This is a port of FCEUltra, a great Nintendo emulator, for PS2. Written originally by ragnarok2040, its development was stopped at version 0.92. The public available source code was from version 0.90.

So I got the source code and started to improve it a little bit. The results were:

:. CD/DVD support added.
:. Several bugfixes, turning it as stable as official 0.92 version.
:. Using same color palette as of version 0.92 (AspiringSquire's NES Color Palette)
:. NTSC video output quality improvements
:. Supporting analog pads
:. And much more...

Latest "unofficial" version is 0.90i.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

jerrymh
March 23rd, 2008, 17:10
Great good job, Any chances of getting a USB, HDD support?

bootsector
March 24th, 2008, 14:04
Great good job, Any chances of getting a USB, HDD support?

Already does. ;)

blueted
March 25th, 2008, 20:50
are you sure it supports the hdd?

bootsector
March 26th, 2008, 13:57
are you sure it supports the hdd?

Yes, I am.

amd147
April 18th, 2008, 12:56
thanks, you are hero ,
but Istill cant save game.

weirdzod
May 10th, 2008, 19:44
any readme.txt? or some doc?

Starscream
May 10th, 2008, 21:41
thanks, you are hero ,
but Istill cant save game.

check the savepath. You can configure the path in a separate menu (not the one that appears once you play a game).

amd147
May 17th, 2008, 22:20
thank you for help :)

tristan99
May 20th, 2008, 05:28
Sorri i'm newbie here. I don't know anything about programmer stuff. Can you give me the complete tutorial how to use this emu in ps2 ?
Is this emu have some function with it might be NES ( nes emu for ps1 ) ?

blackwidowcd
July 27th, 2008, 05:21
How do you set up this emulator? Will it work with swapmagic?

LovecraftHP
August 16th, 2008, 20:07
Thanks, great initiative!

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get this to work. I burnt the .elf file I got from the bin.zip archive onto a disc along with a ROM directory. Rebooted the PS2 but it won't play. It recognizes the disc as a PS2 disc but refuses to play it.

PGen and SNES Station work fine on the same machine.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

LovecraftHP
August 17th, 2008, 04:05
Okay, I figured it out. For anyone not knowing how to get this one working: You have to burn the fceu.elf file to the root of the disc along with a system.cnf file containing the following:

BOOT2 = cdrom0:\FCEU.ELF;1
VER = 0.92
VMODE = NTSC

I can get the games working now but it doesn't seem possible to save to the memory card. Is that correct?

LovecraftHP
August 17th, 2008, 10:19
Hmmm, I should probably stop testing things in the middle of the night after some heavy drinking...

Configured a memory card as the save path and it seems to work fine now. For anyone else: on the FCEUltra explorer, press SELECT and configure the save path. Works like a charm.

Cheers!

WhizzBang
August 17th, 2008, 10:51
Lovecraft, can you say how does this compare to IMBNES?

jupstejuho
August 17th, 2008, 16:47
IMBNes is for Playstation 1 (a.k.a PSOne/PSX/PlaySation 1), and FCEUltra is for PS2. So, to be able to use IMBNes, you have to have a PSX/PS1/PSONE game console wich has a modchip inside it installed already, OR ALTERNATIVELY you can use IMBNes with PS2 if you have Breaker PRO Modchip CD (Swap Magic does not work for PS1 games), or a modchip installed already installed inside the PS2. So you can use IMBNes in PS2, but you cannot use FCEUltra in PS1. :thumbup: Hope you got the idea and liked my post!

WhizzBang
August 17th, 2008, 18:55
Yes, I understand all that. It is just that I use IMBNES on my PS2 and (and my PS1 before that) and it is extremely good - better NES emulation than on the Dreamcast I would say.

I was asking if this new emulator is better than the PS1 one, IMBNES.

Qmark
August 18th, 2008, 00:24
Can this be run via FreeMCBoot?

hmeyer
September 27th, 2008, 16:39
Yes, I understand all that. It is just that I use IMBNES on my PS2 and (and my PS1 before that) and it is extremely good - better NES emulation than on the Dreamcast I would say.

I was asking if this new emulator is better than the PS1 one, IMBNES.

This one is better than ItMustBeNES emu. I test both, and FCEUltra runs better for me on my modded PS2.
:thumbup:

djsnack
December 6th, 2008, 12:59
can the ps2 read from a usb memory whitout starting the ps2 whit a cd first.

I have all the games and save folder on a usb memory. But to get it to start FCEUltra i need to start whit a cd. Is there any other way?

thanks

mitchypoorox
February 8th, 2009, 06:25
Hey. I've been trying to use this emulator and it hasn't worked on my PS2. On the disc I had the following:
FCEU.ELF
SYSTEM.CNF(changed it around like LoveCraftHP)
NES Games(a folder with all the NES games I want to play.)

I've tried everything I can and it still wont work. And I do have a modded PS2!

lordmister
February 18th, 2009, 16:28
As much as this is an icredibly old thread, I don't understand why people try running this from a disc.

I run it from a USB flashdrive with little problem.

ericshliao
February 21st, 2009, 06:33
This NES emu port works perfectly within FMCB. It can load roms from HDD, USB, MC...
I tried InfoNES once, the result is not so good as FCEU. The performance is great. Video and sound just like original NES.
Some unsolved problems:
1. L2 and R2 are used to load and save state, but I only get error message when pushing the two buttons. (Added: After I set the correct save path, the problem is solved now.)
2. Once a rom is started, I can't go back to rom selection screen. Does this port provide this function? (Added: pushing the Delta button will solve the problem)

spiderman3141
April 24th, 2009, 23:01
Hey. I've been trying to use this emulator and it hasn't worked on my PS2. On the disc I had the following:
FCEU.ELF
SYSTEM.CNF(changed it around like LoveCraftHP)
NES Games(a folder with all the NES games I want to play.)

I've tried everything I can and it still wont work. And I do have a modded PS2!

When you look at SYSTEM.CNF with notepad are you sure it says FCEU.ELF and not BOOT.ELF?
Make sure you put enough files on the disk to fill most of it. Mostly empty disks are hard to read. put anything else on to fill space.

blackwidowcd
June 5th, 2009, 01:04
I know this is a pretty big bump but how do I build the iso for this? What program do I use?

Tyr
June 5th, 2009, 02:28
Cdgen is the best iso making app for ps2

blackwidowcd
June 8th, 2009, 03:11
Cdgen is the best iso making app for ps2

That's what I used and it didn't work.

Here's what I used to make the iso:

FCEU.ELF
SYSTEM.CNF
Rom Folder.

mike460
June 18th, 2009, 02:12
As much as this is an icredibly old thread, I don't understand why people try running this from a disc.

I run it from a USB flashdrive with little problem.

So since I am a total noob, how would one go about running this from a USB flashdrive? I have been reading through pages and pages, and have not found a simple description of how to do so. Thanks in advance.

blackwidowcd
June 18th, 2009, 04:49
So since I am a total noob, how would one go about running this from a USB flashdrive? I have been reading through pages and pages, and have not found a simple description of how to do so. Thanks in advance.

Can someone explain so we can understand? I mean I don't want another reply like "Format the flash drive and blah blah blah." How do you do it with a flashdrive and swap magic?

2re86
August 21st, 2009, 02:45
Can someone explain so we can understand? I mean I don't want another reply like "Format the flash drive and blah blah blah." How do you do it with a flashdrive and swap magic?

Okay first off, download this <a>http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Nintendo-fceultra-for-ps2-671-games/44862dbef696b0004541e2dd2997d53f16ffc3a25676</a>. Yepp I know the 2mb, it's suppicous but I've tested it and it virus and spyware free. The roms provided doesn't work so you only download the emulator in a way. After downloading that file unpack it. You should now end up with a folder with some files. Unpack uLaunchELF_v4.12_CD.rar and burn the bin to a cd-r. Now unpack the file fceumm-ps2-0.90h-bin.zip and put the file fceu.elf to your usb memory stick. Also create a folder on the usb stick and put all your nes roms in there, and lastly create a folder named save on your usb root. Now put in your swap magic disc and let it load, then plug in your usb stick, after you have done that swap
your disc and put in the cd i told you to burn. Once booted up select filebrowser and scroll down to mass:/ and open it with O. Then select the FCEU.ELF file. U should now come to your emulator. Push select and choose configure save path. Once again scroll down to mass:/ and select your save folder and push start. It should now read configure save path: mass:/save. Then choose save SFC config or something like that so it will remember where your save path is. Now go to mass:/ and choose your nes folder and pick a game and play.

Also I have a question. I searched the internet far and wide and I have yet to find out if this FCEU supports game genie. I can boot it up just fine but pressing start only resets game genie. So if Game Genie is indeed supported, what are the steps?

rafet34
September 25th, 2011, 19:43
asdasdafasfasf

rafet34
September 25th, 2011, 19:43
sagadgasahcascuasılcascbasşcasbchşasjlcn asnskalhfıuasfasf

aboloo
July 15th, 2012, 12:14
thank you

yourmypc
July 31st, 2012, 16:11
how to download?