PDA

View Full Version : Is There Any LEGAL Way To Create PMF Files?

DimensionT
March 17th, 2008, 00:36
I've been looking into this for a while, and I COULD do it the "bad" way... But I would like to know if there was a legal way to do this yet.

This is what tips me off that there might be a way:

"PMF file is actually some sort of MPEG-2 Program Stream containing AVC video and ATRAC3 audio elementary streams"

If it's just a modified MPEG-2 file, there should be a custom encoder out there no? ATRAC3 files can be done legally.

Elven6
March 17th, 2008, 01:32
Why is it not legal?

jxx2005
March 17th, 2008, 03:05
wtf is a PMF?

bacalacadaca
March 17th, 2008, 04:21
if im not mistaking i think its those files that are a video for a umd

or to make coldboots or something

it illegal to make one? hmm

id just do it the dirty way

DimensionT
March 17th, 2008, 07:04
PMF is the format they use for in-game videos and the animated icons in the EBOOTs... And from what I've seen they only way to make them is to use an encoder that comes with the official SDK. Meaning I ether have to fork over the dollars or download a leaked version. The latter = not a good thing.

jamotto
March 17th, 2008, 07:42
Sadly no.

Themanwitharock
March 18th, 2008, 02:36
that thing on your signature is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off. Statistics show that only about 32% have ever tried pot. 63% smoke cigarettes or have tried it. get better information so you dont piss off someone who really is in that "98%" Kinda random in this topic though

jxx2005
March 18th, 2008, 04:24
that thing on your signature is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off. Statistics show that only about 32% have ever tried pot. 63% smoke cigarettes or have tried it. get better information so you dont piss off someone who really is in that "98%" Kinda random in this topic though
(sorry for continuing to be off topic but)
ok dude
srsly
chill out
its a stupid fake statistic that is common on forums in sigs
dont get all pissy and start freaking out
its the internet
srsly

DimensionT
March 18th, 2008, 07:00
All the anti-smoking people use it in their sigs, so I thought it'd be funny to use it... Considering I was a major pothead not too long ago.

But that's besides the point. It seems like PMFs should've been cracked a long time ago. From what I've heard it's just a modified MPEG-4 format with a different header and certain multiplexing aspects. PS2 is the same deal and that format was figured out ages ago (though it's still a pain to encode them).

dangee
March 18th, 2008, 20:15
an elusive PSP mystery.

it'd be great if some skilled hacker could unlock it,
there'd be a flood of new custom gameboots.

but wasn't there a (legal) PBP builder that
included an ICON1.PMF utility ?

NoQuarter
March 18th, 2008, 20:53
I'd like to know too,since I really don't want to do it the bad way either.In fact I wont do that way at all,it could be trojanized(then again you could check file size) and I don't want to fool with windows or install wine unless I have to.

dangee
March 19th, 2008, 18:28
the .PMF creator I was thinking of is the one
in Nikos' custom theme pack, & errm, it relies on

"illegal files from another website"

so, a legal pmf creator? not yet.