PDA

View Full Version : Command and Conquer runs well on the PSP. I hope coders port some PC RTS homebrews.

centroles
August 29th, 2005, 05:42
Old Title: Command and Conquer runs well on the PSP. I hope coders port some PC RTS homebrews.

Westwood was working on a command and conquer game for the genesis. It was never completed and you can find the incomplete rom for it online in any genesis collection (legal since it was never commercially sold or copyrighted).

anyways, command and conquer runs absolutely beautifully. it's a cinch to make buildings, select or control units. the analog nub really does do a great job of filling in for a mouse. unfortunately, the incomplete game never had enemy units build. so all you can do is build up a massive army yourself and force your own units to attack each other. it's still fun regardless. dune is a ton of fun too.

Now I can't get the idea of playing a more modern full blown RTS on the psp.

Are there any good Homebrew PC RTSs that coders could port over to the PSP.

It would be awesome to play a game like starcraft or something on the PSP. And the only other way of doing that is a N64 emulator that may never come around.

aruka57
August 29th, 2005, 09:44
Stratagus (http://stratagus.sourceforge.net/)

wraggster
August 29th, 2005, 13:20
yeah i tried this game but i couldnt work out what to do so gave it up as a bad job

centroles
August 29th, 2005, 22:27
that looks sweet. has anyone ported it over to the psp.

it would be awesome to have an whole rts engine ported to the psp. you could make games similar to command and conquer, or starcraft or whatever you wanted to.

sony1psp
August 29th, 2005, 22:53
were can i get comman and conquer plz

thx :)

xuphorz
August 29th, 2005, 22:56
u talking about bochs?

sony1psp
August 29th, 2005, 23:10
where can i get the command and conquer plz

xuphorz
August 29th, 2005, 23:11
if your asking me, i'm just as confused as you. i think they're refering to the very old pc c&c, and playing it through bochs, but i don't know

sony1psp
August 29th, 2005, 23:12
ye i got the old 1 4 pc i want it 4 psp and im confused as well plz tell me were 2 get it :)

bobcobb
August 29th, 2005, 23:42
its a rom, for the sega emulator. and its pretty worthless as the game was never finished. If you want C & C your outta luck right now. Hopefully some nice coder will port a good RTS engine for the PSP, but until then keep playing squarez. (not that its a bad game or anything)

UnderHill
August 30th, 2005, 02:04
C+C red alert is what id love to see on the psp :)

xuphorz
August 30th, 2005, 02:10
GOOD NEWS!!!!!

C&C: Red Alert is scheduled for release on PSP!

http://psp.ign.com/objects/737/737755.html

check out the release also, TBA 2005 :D

UnderHill
August 30th, 2005, 02:17
at first i thought you were pullin my leg..WOOT! :D

centroles
August 30th, 2005, 04:40
Yeah, C&C was being built for the Genesis. It was never completed but it's fully functional and runs beautifully through the PSP Genesis emulator. Unfortunately, the enemy AI was never programmed so there really isn't anything to do. It's still awesome regardless.

And if it runs so well through an emulator, surely something ported directly to the PSP like Stratagus would run very well as well. Plus stratagus can be used to make a C&C or Starcraft replica.

SoQb0nc5r
August 30th, 2005, 15:52
command and conquer is comin on psp, so no need to port a dull graphics game when u can have (wait for) a nice red alert 2 type, command and conquer game, which i have played since my chilhood :) AYE!! C&C i loves u!

Cap'n 1time
August 30th, 2005, 16:12
Yeah, C&C was being built for the Genesis. It was never completed but it's fully functional and runs beautifully through the PSP Genesis emulator. Unfortunately, the enemy AI was never programmed so there really isn't anything to do. It's still awesome regardless.

And if it runs so well through an emulator, surely something ported directly to the PSP like Stratagus would run very well as well. Plus stratagus can be used to make a C&C or Starcraft replica.

ermmmmmmmmmmmmm WRONG. that is not how it works. sorry, nope, dosnt work that way at all!

That isnt to say that it wouldnt run well on it. but you cant judge somthing like that just because you think it would.

Also the only people that are going to port C&C would be Westwood as they are the only people who own the rights to the source code. As for x86 emulation... its possible that it might run the older C&C's at a decent speed. But right now bochs is limited to 8 Megs of RAM and is at a very early stage.

I made a made a similare mistake about a year ago when I decided that you could port Battle of Westnoth (or whatever) to DC... well actually you could.. but it wouldnt be a complete port. alot of stuff would have to be recreated from scratch, and no one wants to spend that much time for fear that they will loose intrest or support.

So, you may be able to see a commercial release of this, or a port of some open source clone.. or possibly even an x86 emulator some time. but it takes time.

centroles
August 31st, 2005, 04:35
thanks. actually now that it's being commercially released, the only rts port I'm hoping for is stratagus.

Making your own RTS games sounds awesome