PDA

View Full Version : How to play GBC on GBA

GBASP
March 21st, 2008, 22:17
Hi,
I'm trying to put GBC game, which is Pokemon trading card, into the GBA flash card roote directory.

I've been in several pages, but said something about Pocketnes.gba in goomba.gba, but I'm really confused :confused:

Can you please help me out?

thx

DanTheManMS
March 22nd, 2008, 03:51
1. Go to http://www.dwedit.org/gba/goombacolor.php and download Goomba Color and the builder application
2. Use the builder tool to add your GBC game into the output *.gba compilation
3. Compile the game and copy the output *.gba file to your card.

If the latest version has issues, try the next older version, as I've heard this one actually has some speed issues the older one didn't have for certain games (though it increased speed with other games).

GBASP
March 22nd, 2008, 18:01
i'm confused with the goomba front application, what's that "load existing config:
and "output configuration"
and what is the gbctrim?
cuold you explain it to me step by step!
i'm new at this

DanTheManMS
March 24th, 2008, 02:52
The configuration file simply saves the file paths you set so that you don't have to browse for every file every time you open up the Goomba Front application. IE, it will remember the location of goomba.gba, the output filename, the splash screen you select, etc. It doesn't affect the actual emulation at all.

GBCTrim is a program that trims empty data from GBC roms to make them slightly smaller. Unless you really need to cram one more game into the 32 MB max filesize, I'd suggest ignoring it to prevent problems.

A good tutorial on the Goomba Frontend application can be found at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Goomba

GBASP
March 25th, 2008, 15:00
thx for the site

but it still doesn't work

do i have to save the rom and the goomba.gba in one folder?

is it true that you can play roms less than 200k?

I have this onehttp://portagame.com/images/gba-movieplayer-2nd8.jpg

plus a CF adapter for SD card user

and how many adapters are there?

is this all related to my problem?
pls help

DanTheManMS
March 26th, 2008, 02:39
I assumed you had a device capable of running full-fledged GBA binaries, not just multiboot files. Yes, that does change things.

You'll need the special GBAMP-specific version of Goomba Color then. I think the latest release of that is the Alpha 6 version. Don't use the Goomba frontend for this version. Instead, launch it directly from the GBAMP menu and then choose a *.gb/*.gbc game from your card to play using its built-in menu.

GBASP
March 26th, 2008, 16:06
i hope i don't enoy with my dumm questions;-)

what u mean by

"GBAMP menu and then choose a *.gb/*.gbc game from your card to play using its built-in menu"

and is it possible to save the game somehow

thx

DanTheManMS
March 27th, 2008, 00:49
Download the GBAMP version from http://boards.pocketheaven.com/viewtopic.php?t=3280

Put goomba.gba on your card along with your GB and GBC games. Launch goomba.gba from the GBAMP menu like you would any other GBA or NES game or whatnot. Goomba Color will present you with a file browser where you can select the GB or GBC game to play. Saving is supported.

However, I'm curious what you mean by "a CF adapter for SD card user." Are you not using an actual CF card on your GBAMP CF v2? That may be a problem, as I'm not sure how that will affect the read/write code in Goomba Color.

GBASP
March 27th, 2008, 14:58
I meant this adapter
to plug it into the CFhttp://the-gadgeteer.com/assets/eagletec-sd2cf-adapter4.jpg

but thx fo the big support:thumbup:

DanTheManMS
March 28th, 2008, 05:39
It's worth a shot, though again I'm not sure if it will work correctly since you're not using an actual CF card.

GBASP
March 29th, 2008, 13:02
ok, I can't see any difference between the
alpha color 6 and goomba only the trim is new,

you said saving is supported but how do I use it?

at the moment i'm playing tetris, is it possible to play it while listening to music from the gbasp?

thx

DanTheManMS
March 29th, 2008, 17:57
Don't use the trimming tool with the GBAMP version, as the link I posted states. Obviously if you're running a GB game you aren't going to notice any difference. Try running a GBC game to see that you can actually play them now.

If you're looking for colorizations like the GBC automatically added to old GB games, it's not possible. The coloring info is not stored in the GB rom. Each GB game has a colorization entry stored in the GBC BIOS itself, which nobody has been able to dump.

It's not possible to multitask, so you cannot play music from your card at the same time.

GBASP
March 29th, 2008, 19:13
Thanks for the info

In my gbamp root directory, I stored 7 GameBoy games
such as Tetris and Lemmings.

And now I downloaded Donkey Kong Classic NES
and I put it into the root dir. as well,
I used pocketnes.gba to compile it, but when i wanted to play it, it showed up a blank screen, and when I tried tetris.gba it showed the same thing...

Is it because GBA and NES games are in the same root? :confused:

Thx :thumbup:

DanTheManMS
March 29th, 2008, 19:28
Are you saying you're creating compilations with the PocketNES Menu Maker program or the Goomba Frontend program? If so, why?

GBASP
March 29th, 2008, 20:14
For GBA games I use goomba for NES games i use pocketnes

Is that wrong?

DanTheManMS
March 31st, 2008, 09:05
Goomba Color emulates the GB and GBC. Not GBA.

I honestly have no idea what you're doing to try to play these games, so I can do is repeat what I already posted earlier:

Put goomba.gba on your card along with your GB and GBC games. Launch goomba.gba from the GBAMP menu like you would any other GBA or NES game or whatnot. Goomba Color will present you with a file browser where you can select the GB or GBC game to play.

If the "or NES game" part confuses you, then ignore it. I don't know enough about the GBAMP menu to be sure about that point. Just launch goomba.gba itself. You are using the GBAMP-specific version from the link I gave you, right?

GBASP
March 31st, 2008, 17:39
yes i'm using the specific version, the gb and gbc are working fine as the nes

it's just when i store nes and gb/c games together, into the dir. root, and i want to play whether nes or gb/c it displays the white screen

GBASP
April 3rd, 2008, 19:18
Hello DantheManMS, are you there?

I need help

DanTheManMS
April 4th, 2008, 03:10
Honestly I don't know what to tell you, sorry. Not to mention that I still don't really understand what the problem is. Games work when they're separated into folders but not when you mix them together in the same folder?

FAT has a limit on the number of files that can be on the root of your card, which may or may not be part of your problem.

GBASP
April 4th, 2008, 18:17
no i cant put games on the folder it says it has to be directly on the root, anyway, i already said i put games like tetris.gba and donkeykong.nes in the same root and both wont work, do you get me now?

sorry for my annoyance:-)

DanTheManMS
April 4th, 2008, 23:13
What exact game is "tetris.gba"? Is it LockJaw? The NES Tetris? And if DonkeyKong.nes is the pirate game that plays a few levels from Donkey Kong Country 2, then it's probably just an incompatibility with that specific game.

GBASP
April 5th, 2008, 21:07
I don't know what LockJaw is
I'm using the Tetris game for GB

And DonkeyKong.NES is not a Pirate game, it's just a NES game

Hope that helps

DanTheManMS
April 7th, 2008, 05:07
Then it's not a *.gba file now is it? It's a *.gb file, right? There's a big difference. I forgot that Donkey Kong was an NES game, my bad.

Regardless, I'm still confused about what the issue is. Here's my understanding of the problem: when Tetris.gb is the only thing on the card, it works, and the same with DonkeyKong.nes. But when you have both on your card, neither works. Is that accurate?

Again, I'm pretty sure the SD-to-CF adapter is causing problems. Have you tried this using an actual CF card?

GBASP
April 9th, 2008, 12:44
Yes, that is correct, that was what I'm trying to explain all the time.

No, I never used an actual CF card. But anyway, now I sorted out the problem somehow because (well that's a long story) but anyway, how do you save the game when you're in a far level, for example?

Thanks

DanTheManMS
April 11th, 2008, 01:32
In-game saving should be handled by the emulator automatically. Savestates should also work for PocketNES but not Goomba Color.

GBASP
April 17th, 2008, 18:44
but it doesnt save auto., only pocketnes games give me password for my current state level,

thx for support:thumbup:

DanTheManMS
April 18th, 2008, 00:20
Then it's most likely due to using an SD card instead of a CF card. Beyond that, I don't know, sorry.