PDA

View Full Version : basic nwb question

qbert-psp
March 21st, 2008, 22:39
Hi folks, I just got back into my psp after 2 years, at the time i remember using umd emulator 0.8c (kavula?) and an original umd in the psp to run iso's off a memorystick (which i have since lost).
Anyway thats what the guy in a computer market set up for me at the time.
i guess i missed out on devhook and cfw during this time and am trying to get my psp back into 2008. Its a fat jap model system says 1.52, any idea what to do? just wan2 play iso's and maybe stick mame on.

thanks
qb.

CrimsonWater
March 22nd, 2008, 01:54
Hey to get your psp up to speed you will have to go through a couple upgrades and a downgrade. You can either create a pandora battery and magic memorystick to upgrade directly to 3.80 m33 or you can upgrade to 2.71 then use dark-alex's downgrader to 1.5...next upgrade to 3.52 m33 and from there to 380/390 m33 whichever you prefer. pspupdates.qj.net you can find all of the files mentioned. pm me if you have any probs. cya

jxx2005
March 22nd, 2008, 02:40
dont talk about ISOs or CSOs or UMD ripping on this site
you'll get in trouble

edit
SRSLY!!!
READ THE RULES

bacalacadaca
March 22nd, 2008, 04:59
if you get in trouble then why the **** do people post umd dumper releases and post them here!

CrimsonWater
March 22nd, 2008, 13:56
isn't it ok so long as it is for backup purposes...umds load slower and eat more battery and make your psp weigh more. it's much better to backup to memstick so long as you support the games.

bah
March 23rd, 2008, 05:21
bacalacadaca: I would assume because to have any use for a UMD dumper app, you would have the game you want to dump in your hand. Knowing about a dumper or how to use it is no use to all the kids who want to download torrent after torrent of ISOs.

Discussion/help about how to actually run ISOs is different in that it is the exact same process whether you dumped your own game or you download every PSP game that gets released and never pay a cent. Helping people to run ISOs is not allowed because the vast majority of the people who need/want the help are newbs who just want to download games and not people who want to dump their own games.

CrimsonWater: The problem is that 99.9% or more of posts where people talk of 'my backups', they use the term as a euphemism (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=euphemism) for 'Downloaded ISOs'.

qbert-psp
March 25th, 2008, 06:50
cool, will give it a go an get on the case, i dunno what all the fuss is about tho, mame+roms is technically in the same league as the above mentioned unmentionables, wether or not its payed for or not.

qb/.

bah
March 25th, 2008, 09:31
There is no way to connect an arcade board to the PSP, it takes UMDs and Memory Sticks. So the only way to play an arcade game on the PSP is with a ROM dump and an emulator.
To play a PSP game there is no such hurdle. The games are written for the PSP and distributed on a medium the PSP can access. There is no 'need' for PSP game ISOs for any reason other than pirating the games.

Not only are arcade systems not designed for the mass consumer market, but the only ones you'll be playing through MAME on a PSP are very old machines that are likely not even in arcades any more, if there are any local arcades that haven't shut down yet that is.

I personally have a snow brothers arcade machine, the screen is dead though.
I'll admit most people don't have all the games they have ROMs for, but at least there is a truly legit purpose for them and almost all systems emulated no longer have games sold for them.

PSP ISOs are new games that are still sold in stores and people only have have 'I own the UMD' and 'its less to carry' or 'it loads a bit quicker' as reasons for them. Even then most people are only using those as excuses while they really are just downloading all their games.