PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast PSP!

gordon
August 29th, 2005, 21:04
Hey guys i was wondering has anyone been able to code an emulator that runs dreamcast games?

It would be insane if i could play shenmue 2 on my psp!

exzapel
August 29th, 2005, 21:14
No, impossible, psp isn't NEARLY strong enough AND you would only be able to hold 1 or 2 games on even the BIGGEST MSDUO

grabnak
August 30th, 2005, 00:30
No, impossible, psp isn't NEARLY strong enough AND you would only be able to hold 1 or 2 games on even the BIGGEST MSDUO
That my good friend is totally wrong. I have every dreamcast game, snes game, and nes game, plus a port of Half Life 2 and Doom 3 on my 2GB SanDisk. I had to write a program to actively compress and decompress files (It is kind of like PSP file assistant)

But seriously.... to the thread starter: Emulating SNES games is hit and miss. Just load up StarFox or any number of games and see how fast they are. Talking about a Dreamcast Emu (pretty much a generation later than the SNES) would work with like 10 PSP's all hooked up to 1 PSP to play the game. Then I suppose storage would not be a problem with 11 Pro Duo Slots to hold GB+ cards
Here is a picture so you can dream:
Slaves:
(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)
|_____|_____|______|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____| ____|
|
(+[ ]x)

slik da relic
August 30th, 2005, 00:51
just because a game uses cd or dvd or whatever format, doesnt mean it uses every nook and cranny of space provided. alot of games dont even use half the space.

da relic

Shiaoran
August 30th, 2005, 01:24
i have PSPGenesis and uoSnes9x with like 6 roms of each console on my 32mb msduo and it's full
i think it's possible to emulate dc, but that will require time... much time.

just a correction: DC is 2 generations newer than SNES

Generations: byte; 2bytes; 4bytes; 2bits(Atari 2600[2600bytes]); 8bits(NES, SMS); 16bits(GEN, SNES); 32bits(PSX, SAT)/64bits(N64); 128bits(DC, GC, PS2, XB); 128bits(REV, PS3, XB360 wtf?)
the next generation is the only one in decades (in 70's and early 80's the systems were 4bytes) that repeats the byte/bit from the previous
(not 100% sure of the byte/bit namings or dates, I was born in the 8bit era)

xuphorz
August 30th, 2005, 01:25
next thing you know, people wil be asking if psp can emulate Xbox :p

UnderHill
August 30th, 2005, 01:52
Hey! maybe we can emulate the Xbox360!!!:D who's with me!!!

WSOUNitePirate895
August 30th, 2005, 03:02
It is very possible to run DC, just needs to be improved on PC first. BTW what ever happend with chanka?

I know psx is being ported to psp.

xuphorz
August 30th, 2005, 03:16
dude, there is no way dreamcast can run on psp playably.

also, to the maker of this thread, why did you add a ! and not a ?

Shiaoran
August 30th, 2005, 04:13
no emulator is impossible to make, some may be hard because of the new tech on it, but not impossible

xuphorz
August 30th, 2005, 04:18
let me repharse: any system n64 and up probably won't ever runn ful speed on psp

bkdevart
August 30th, 2005, 07:00
He's entirely right... even if you could emulate a N64 or DC, the speed would be nowhere near playable. If we can't do 16-bit full speed, then why would we be able to do 128?

quzar
August 30th, 2005, 09:06
psp doesnt have anywhere near the memory to emulate the dreamcast at all, nor the speed.

Tomppa
August 30th, 2005, 12:46
DC games could be playable someday, but not on a emulator. Maybe by porting and optimizing and eating all the power you can suck out of the console.. 15FPS?

parabolee
August 30th, 2005, 14:53
DC games could be playable someday, but not on a emulator. Maybe by porting and optimizing and eating all the power you can suck out of the console.. 15FPS?

Actually I think that most Dreamcast games could be ported pretty acurately to PSP. Most of course never ever will be. But just think about Crazy Taxi on PSP :)

PSP could handle graphically trimed down versions of 99% of Dreamcast games IMHO.

But emulated? Never, they would be so unplayable that it wouldn't be worth the time. Maybe JUST MAYBE the Xbox360 will have what it takes to run emulated Dreamcast games.

Cap'n 1time
August 30th, 2005, 16:16
Actually I think that most Dreamcast games could be ported pretty acurately to PSP. Most of course never ever will be. But just think about Crazy Taxi on PSP :)

PSP could handle graphically trimed down versions of 99% of Dreamcast games IMHO.

But emulated? Never, they would be so unplayable that it wouldn't be worth the time. Maybe JUST MAYBE the Xbox360 will have what it takes to run emulated Dreamcast games.

mabey.. but only if the companies agreed to do it (and they wont :( ) if we could port DC games to other consoles we would have done it oursleves by now. ALL OF THEM! Its up to all the developers.

bill00000
August 30th, 2005, 19:09
I think DC will not work, but wouldn't PS1 be more feasible then N64? The reason cartidge based EMU's are tricky is because they rely on having everything in the cartidge available at all times, right? For ps1 it would take up a lot less RAM.

parabolee
August 30th, 2005, 20:27
mabey.. but only if the companies agreed to do it (and they wont :( ) if we could port DC games to other consoles we would have done it oursleves by now. ALL OF THEM! Its up to all the developers.

I wasn't suggesting that the homebrew devs could port the games, without the source code that would be impossible. I was talking about the original companies ability to do it. I think there is a chance we will see a few of the Dreamcast classics on PSP before it's lifespan is over.

Quake 3 is a very real possibility for the homebrew devs to port now that it is open source.

WSOUNitePirate895
August 30th, 2005, 20:57
we are yet to tap into the full capabilities of psp, coding need to be fixed up, damn it wish i learned how to code. Looking at DC's specs I guess we will never see a full runing DC emulator on PSP, havent looked at them and thought it would be possible

Porting is a good idea, would it be difficult to port games instead of making emulators?

parabolee
August 30th, 2005, 21:19
Porting is a good idea, would it be difficult to port games instead of making emulators?

Well without the source code, porting is impossible, you would have to program the game from the ground up.

The only source code out for a Dreamcast game is the PC version of Quake 3. Which would rock hard!

xuphorz
August 30th, 2005, 21:25
I think DC will not work, but wouldn't PS1 be more feasible then N64? The reason cartidge based EMU's are tricky is because they rely on having everything in the cartidge available at all times, right? For ps1 it would take up a lot less RAM.

ya, ps1 is more possible, that's why i said n64 and up.

Sharkey
August 30th, 2005, 22:02
He's entirely right... even if you could emulate a N64 or DC, the speed would be nowhere near playable. If we can't do 16-bit full speed, then why would we be able to do 128?

actually all my snes and genesis games are running pretty fast with the latest emulators and frame skip.
and there is already a psone emulator in the works so i dont understand why you guys think its totally impossible.

btw im jealous as hell of the guy on the first page that has doom3 and halflife 2 already on his psp, how in the hell did you manage that?
care to share?
i have a 1 gig card with some free space. ;)

but really,
i think we should get quake 2, unreal, or half life up and running before we dive into quake 3.
i like quake 2 much better, never cared much for multiplayer fps's.
beside i have some mods id like to try on it.

Cap'n 1time
August 30th, 2005, 22:30
btw im jealous as hell of the guy on the first page that has doom3 and halflife 2 already on his psp, how in the hell did you manage that?
care to share?
i have a 1 gig card with some free space. ;)

but really,
i think we should get quake 2, unreal, or half life up and running before we dive into quake 3.
i like quake 2 much better, never cared much for multiplayer fps's.
beside i have some mods id like to try on it.

To the first comment... I really hope your being sarcastic.

To the second comment. You do realize that out of all thoes engines you are suggesting, only Quake 2 is open source, correct? Unless the creators decide to do a port, you are NEVER going to see Unreal or Half life on the psp.

Mourningstar
August 31st, 2005, 02:28
To the first comment... I really hope your being sarcastic.

To the second comment. You do realize that out of all thoes engines you are suggesting, only Quake 2 is open source, correct? Unless the creators decide to do a port, you are NEVER going to see Unreal or Half life on the psp.

Ive played Half-Life on PSP. ;)

xuphorz
August 31st, 2005, 03:13
uh, no

that's not possible at all, in any way i see

how did you do it then?

Mourningstar
August 31st, 2005, 04:22
uh, no

that's not possible at all, in any way i see

how did you do it then?
http://www.gp32x.de/cfiles/screenshots/halflife-0.gif

HERE (http://www.gp32x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,24,337)

Kaiser
August 31st, 2005, 06:49

hahaha

B_man55
August 31st, 2005, 07:22
That my good friend is totally wrong. I have every dreamcast game, snes game, and nes game, plus a port of Half Life 2 and Doom 3 on my 2GB SanDisk. I had to write a program to actively compress and decompress files (It is kind of like PSP file assistant)

But seriously.... to the thread starter: Emulating SNES games is hit and miss. Just load up StarFox or any number of games and see how fast they are. Talking about a Dreamcast Emu (pretty much a generation later than the SNES) would work with like 10 PSP's all hooked up to 1 PSP to play the game. Then I suppose storage would not be a problem with 11 Pro Duo Slots to hold GB+ cards
Here is a picture so you can dream:
Slaves:
(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)(+[ ]x)
|_____|_____|______|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____| ____|
|
(+[ ]x)

What the crap do you mean you have "every" SNES, NES, and DC game? Are you saying you have every game in existance on your 2GB stick?

Cap'n 1time
August 31st, 2005, 14:56

well thanks. now i have half life on my psp too! :p

parabolee
August 31st, 2005, 14:56

Is that mod any good?

Cap'n 1time
August 31st, 2005, 14:58
What the crap do you mean you have "every" SNES, NES, and DC game? Are you saying you have every game in existance on your 2GB stick?

I think for just all the E and U snes releases its about 4 gigs. ;)

p4ch3c0
August 31st, 2005, 15:15
Hahahahahaha!!!1112

grabnak
September 13th, 2005, 07:33
People I was kidding, my other post was dripping with sarcasm. Every NES game is only about 165 MB. Every SNES game, well unzipped I think it is about 6 ish GB. And Yes, playing some games will be possible if they are ported over to the PSP. Yes a PSX emu has been shown to work on a psp, but only as a proof of concept. A PSone emulator might run one day, but only if the emulator can access the psp's graphics chip as well as the CPU and super efficiently. As for the DC emulation, my computer could hardly emulate N64 Zelda (At the time it was a 2.4C with 1GB Corsair XMSC2LPT, Serial ATA, and a X800XL, blah bla bla) So the odds of a DC emulator on PSP are delusional. That being said, I hope that ports are done for the PSP.