PDA

View Full Version : LSDLDOOM-PS2 : Another flavour of Doom for the PS2

wraggster
March 22nd, 2008, 23:03
Ptek (http://ps2homebrewing.wordpress.com/2008/03/21/lsdldoom-ps2-another-flavour-of-doom-for-the-ps2/) have updated the port of lsdldoom a Doom Variant for the PS2, heres the release details:

Suddently, it seems Doom is popular on the PS2 for the second time. This is the second public port to reach the console, and this time, it has sound !

All credits goes to Jason Yu for making this possible. Check this thread : http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9798

So, Lukasz also did a fine job and wrapped it with the shareware doom WAD file, so from >here< you can get a full contained version (one ELF file only) bundled with the shareware WAD.

However I decided to take the source and do some simple changes.

Get if here :

lsdldoom-ps2_v001.rar

First, I’ve got rid of that flickering interlaced screen mode and fixed the aspect ratio to match the original from the PC version, as I did for the other Doom port.

Secondly, I did nothing to the Yu’s sources That it, those already supported loading from USB storage, so you can take my modified version, put on a USB pen along with a Doom WAD of your choice : doom.wad, doom1.wad, doom2.wad, doomu.wad, plutonia.wad, tnt.wad and doom2f.wad seems to be supported. Remember to put the WAD file on the root of the USB device, otherwise it will not load. Just a comment : It seems there is an issue with the USB data fetching causing a hang-up. I really don’t know if it’s a bug of this port, but I strongly suspect it may be due to the concorrency of the audio playing routines and USB driver, since both uses the IOP and the PS2 is not very multi-tasking as you may know.

Anyway, this is only a small update to the excellent work of Jason Yu. There is room for a lot of improvements, such as better controls, a WAD selector, and a way to select weapons of course. Speaking of controls, from the menu select the READ ME to view the currently mapped joypad buttons.

What I plan now : apply the sound sources to the Lukasz port. Let’s see how things progress - it might be more complicated than I’m hoping.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments