PDA

View Full Version : Orange Box patch details

Triv1um
March 23rd, 2008, 15:55
Via Playstatic (http://www.playstatic.com/news/1263)

A few days ago a much-needed mysterious Orange Box patch was released via the Playstation network, but nobody knew what was changed. PS3Fanboy managed to get a hold of the changelog for Valve’s game compilation.

When The Orange Box was released a few weeks after the PC and Xbox 360 version of the game, it suffered from pretty bad frame drops. Unfortunately that hasn’t been fixed (yet), but there are quite a bit of improvements in the multiplayer portion of Team Fortress 2. Here is the full list of changes:

Fixed a graphical issue whereby a player would have the explosion effect left on the end of their Rocket Launcher when attempting to Rocket Jump.
Fixed a memory leak to improve single-player stability.
Fixed an issue whereby the players name would not appear on the Stats comparison screen.
We have fixed an issue that would cause the vote tallies to disappear when you viewed the scoreboard between rounds.
Fixed an online server issue.
Fixed an issue that caused a crash when a player that wasn’t in Division 1 entered your Leaderboards.
Fixed an issue with players not always being added to the ‘Players Met’ menu on the XMB.
Fixed a bug where a player viewing a friend without an EA account would have an empty entry in the friend’s Leaderboard.
Fixed an issue where it was not possible to connect to the EA servers if you had more than 30 friends.

Does this patch inspire you to give Team Fortress 2 another try?

-----

So as you can see, the patch only affects TF2. Nothing for Half-lifes framerate issue's yet. Although, i havent bumped into any yet.

Mister Klownes
March 23rd, 2008, 16:27
I'd give it a shot if it got more people playing it on PS3. The problem is that it just isn't the console of choice for TF2 players, and multiplayer is pointless if there aren't multiple players.

What we need is some kind of system to get cross-platform stuff going on.

Triv1um
March 23rd, 2008, 16:50
I'd give it a shot if it got more people playing it on PS3. The problem is that it just isn't the console of choice for TF2 players, and multiplayer is pointless if there aren't multiple players.

What we need is some kind of system to get cross-platform stuff going on.

I agree, i think there should be more player allowed in 1 room aswell. I feel 16 people just isnt action packed enough.

If cross-platfom was introduced (first console game ever to do it?) the PC players would have a huge advantage from the keyboard and mouse (havent tested if Keyboard and mouse works on PS3 version?)

**1_Man_Matrix**
March 23rd, 2008, 19:09
It's all BS.

Having played through every Half-life 2 installment from the Orange Box on PS3, and not encountering so much as a single stutter in the hours upon hours of game play, either people are just fan boys, purposely biased, or stupid???

Does the 360 version come with free beer or something? Why is everyone giving the PS3 version so much flack? It's awesome, I'm thoroughly impressed and plan on moving from PC to PS3 for Episode 3.

The PS3 version was so thoroughly satisfying, I am left with no option but to assume there is something afoul with the negative reviews and complaints of frame rate issues? Shrug. Guess, I must have got a magical copy or something... right... :rolleyes:

Triv1um
March 23rd, 2008, 19:18
Same here dude, admitedly im still on the first Half life 2 installment, but I havent even had a single lag.

Shocking.

Mister Klownes
March 24th, 2008, 03:15
Yar, I've yet to experience low framerate anywhere in the game, but I figured maybe it was in parts I hadn't given too much attention to.

As for the PC advantage. I've discussed this with friends. Normally in console shooters, there's an option for the slightest of aim assists. I think console players would be allowed to use the aim assist, which kind of levels the playing field with keyboard/mouse combos. I haven't tried that Splitfish FragFX thing, but I hear it's quite awful. I'd love to give it a shot, but I'm not throwing down $50-$60 for a demo.

kikin 69
March 24th, 2008, 04:24
yes

Triv1um
March 24th, 2008, 11:56
FragFX is terrible.

It just goes feel like a mouse. Its like a free analog stick, which is understandable because the game isnt programed for a mouse, but still... Its horrible!

royvedas
March 24th, 2008, 12:28
Get an xbox360. It'll solve all your little problems

**1_Man_Matrix**
March 24th, 2008, 23:03
Get an xbox360. It'll solve all your little problems

*Cough* Your awesome, you should be a videogame reviewer...

Where have all the mature people gone? :rolleyes:

I feel the 360's dashboard interface looks like a lollipop land designed by a 6 year old. But Gears of War is one of the best experiences I've had with a videogame. See, it ain't that hard to say something good about the opposing console... ;)