Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Next-Gen Nintendo DS Unveiled at E3 2008

NDS Rumor: Next-Gen Nintendo DS Unveiled at E3 2008

via Gizmodo

Concept image

Hirokazu Hamamura, the head of gigantic Japanese gaming mag Famitsu's parent company, made a prediction that Nintendo will unveil the next-generation DS at E3 2008 this summer. Normally we wouldn't think anything of some businessman making predictions, but if anyone knows what's going on with Nintendo, it's Famitsu (the gaming industry and gaming press are really tight over there).

Kotaku says it took two years between the transition from DS to DS Lite, so a summer DS Lite to DS EXTREME transition might be possible. Our prediction is that they'll do away with the GBA port altogether, saving space and hardware costs.

DCEmu Pro

i kinda hope that he is wrong, but then i hope that he is right... im so confused ...

If it's something like the lite, the graphics won't be much improved.
    However, if it actually is a next-gen handheld just with DS playback(Which I would FRIGGIN love, but it would be kinda dumb seeing as how much profit the DS is making...), then I'll sell my beautiful DS lite as soon as a release date is announced... Or maybe just keep it.

It looks interesting, bigger screens. Maybe a better hardware would be aweomse too.

it'll probably just be a redesigned ds like the ds lite not a next gen ds

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jrsmaster411 View Post
    it'll probably just be a redesigned ds like the ds lite not a next gen ds
    That would make the most sence, since they already have a MASSIVE backlog of DS games. Although, there may be a new line of DSE games that only the DSE can run, since the DS and DSL would not have the computational hardware/balls.

Things i would like to see... No more GBA port, built in vibration, better battery life, modular apps in the DS Home menus, more customisable stuff, onboard storage for crap/downloaded games/demos.

Hell, if you can just download games directly from online shops, then nintendo would be able to save a buttload, sell the games for cheaper, and improve interest. DSSTEAM here we come!

<End brainfart>

DCEmu Newbie

I don't see a next-gen system coming, it's too soon. Not only is the Lite still selling like hotcakes, but until recently it was still very easy to find a new GBA SP.

A hardware revision, perhaps, but it can't be anything that will generate incompatibilities with future game titles, otherwise Nintendo risks alienating and aggravating the Lite userbase, which is massive; they'd be fools to do so. Internal memory and games that utilize it are very well possible, but if that's the case, I fully expect a Slot-2 pak to provide those features for the older DS models.

DCEmu Newbie

I just hope that this DS can connect through WPA..
    That would be a major and really cool update already.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypershell View Post
    I don't see a next-gen system coming, it's too soon. Not only is the Lite still selling like hotcakes, but until recently it was still very easy to find a new GBA SP.

A hardware revision, perhaps, but it can't be anything that will generate incompatibilities with future game titles, otherwise Nintendo risks alienating and aggravating the Lite userbase, which is massive; they'd be fools to do so. Internal memory and games that utilize it are very well possible, but if that's the case, I fully expect a Slot-2 pak to provide those features for the older DS models.
    Well the DS came out only about 3 1/2 years after GBA did, so they might release some next gen handheld in the near future (handheld gamecube ).

please, please, PLEASE support WPA... that's all i want, above everything else in a new DS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information