Thread: Various PSP v2.0 "Releases"

Blog Entries

Default Various PSP v2.0 "Releases"

Just to make things clear, at this time the new exploit doesnt run any of the Emulators and Real Homebrew on this Site, yes its a great find but unlike the PSP-Dev Exploit where you could run Homebrew from the word go this doesnt have that feature, whats needed is a boot loader of sorts to enable you to run homebrew, and someone on slashdot posted this which sums it up nicely:

So far only binaries smaller than 64KB can be run and only in user mode not kernel mode. NO ACCESS TO KERNEL NO DIRECT ACCESS TO FIRMWARE Still a long way to go before a full exploit.

So there you go, ive no doubt that some smart git will find a way and thank god its not some Downgrader that will brick your PSP. Until theres real proof that real homebrew can be run on this exploit i should just wait patiently.

Anyway theres been 3 releases of v2.0 text mods for want of a better word 2 variants of Hello World and more interesting the Creator of PSP Advance has released Starfield, heres what he says:

Based on the original 2.0 exploit code. I just love star fields. I blame it on the old qbasic days. Written by me: Lok Tai (Andy) Fung da DJSP/PSPAdvance guy. source is included for all you dev folks. I did this for fun. Absolutely no use whatsoever. It was interesting writing this program when I don't even have a 2.0 yet. I had to scour the irc channels for someone to help. Thanks FlongP. Shameless plug: PSPAdvance Coming soon. And thanks again to Groepaz/Hitman for the exploit code.

All downloads via the comments

I still think these hacks are stupid so we can display text big woop im no impressed yet. . . .How the hell are you going to get apps to run if the psp menu is still up and we ANT EVEN SELECT ANYTHING. I dont think there will be a way to run a program through the PHOTO folder. . . . . try the GAME folder people i still think flashing into the games is still the best. That is what we do to play the UMD's people. . . .I like the fact that there seems to be improvement upon this everyday though. . . . . .

Someone said they will probably make a list of games that we can load up like in the GAME folder but how when the max file size is 64KB? what are you going to load up thats exciting a text reader???? I'd much rather chill with my 1.5 that has a good snes, nes and gameboy emulator and use my wab firmware trick forever

im spent

Quote Originally Posted by YourStillWithMe
    I still think these hacks are stupid so we can display text big woop im no impressed yet. . . .How the hell are you going to get apps to run if the psp menu is still up and we ANT EVEN SELECT ANYTHING. I dont think there will be a way to run a program through the PHOTO folder. . . . . try the GAME folder people i still think flashing into the games is still the best. That is what we do to play the UMD's people. . . .I like the fact that there seems to be improvement upon this everyday though. . . . . .

Someone said they will probably make a list of games that we can load up like in the GAME folder but how when the max file size is 64KB? what are you going to load up thats exciting a text reader???? I'd much rather chill with my 1.5 that has a good snes, nes and gameboy emulator and use my wab firmware trick forever

im spent
    I understand your beef with the 64 kb limit.. but it is a start. I imagine they will tap into another buffer overflow exploit with this.

Now here is me speculating and possibly being an idiot: I have seen programs that allow you to hide files in pictures. The filesize of the file you wanted to hid depended upon the size of the Image you wanted to hide it in. So if you had an image file of X file size you could store Z information in it. Depending on how large the image is would that not allow how much information you could store in the image?

forgive me, i dont really understand how this hack works.

Quote Originally Posted by 1timeuser
    I understand your beef with the 64 kb limit.. but it is a start. I imagine they will tap into another buffer overflow exploit with this.

Now here is me speculating and possibly being an idiot: I have seen programs that allow you to hide files in pictures. The filesize of the file you wanted to hid depended upon the size of the Image you wanted to hide it in. So if you had an image file of X file size you could store Z information in it. Depending on how large the image is would that not allow how much information you could store in the image?

forgive me, i dont really understand how this hack works.
    Neither do I, but I think it does have something to do with what you said...
    If I understand correctly though, the image is somehow loaded to the ram or vram in such a way it can access stuff on the firmware level without flashing... I think... And if it's anywhere close to what I said the file probably has to be a certain exact size and stuff...

I'm pretty sure I'm making more of an idiot of myself then you could though...

Thread Information