Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony applies for "tactile pixel" haptic touchscreen patent

Blog Entries

psp Sony applies for "tactile pixel" haptic touchscreen patent

It's never clear how a company plans on implementing a given patent, but Sony's patent application for a haptic touchscreen composed of "tactile pixels" lists former Sony Computer Entertainment chief Phil Harrison as the inventor and makes several references to potential use in "a game device" and to "game events," so it's a safe bet that it was at least developed with the PSP in mind. The patent app describes a sophisticated haptic feedback system that goes well beyond the basic rumble of today's device -- the pixels themselves are able to move up and down between two positions, providing direct feedback to user actions. That's certainly an interesting idea, but like all patent news, we're not going to hold out hope for it to surface in a consumer device anytime soon -- but we're willing to be surprised, you know?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/30/s...screen-patent/

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    with the PSP in mind.
    :rofl:I'll believe it when I see it.

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pspmodel1001 View Post
    :rofl:I'll believe it when I see it.
    Yeah right, so many patents these companies get don't ever end up in games or consoles. Would be interesting to see, but frankly, I see this as more a possibility for a controller than a game playing device itself; for the PSP Sony would have to implement 2 screens, unless of course they made smaller versions for D-Pad and XO[]^ replacements.

DCEmu Legend

I'm a little more optimistic in my opinion. There is also a diagram indicating mass storage and other things relating to a portable media device. This could have a lot to do with the future of the PSP. And it could turn out to be the "dream machine" everyone always hopes SONY will design.

I just hope that with every new hardware revision of the PSP, the homebrew scene gets a jolt of excitement to try and create or port the amazing PSP homebrew over to the new PSP.

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by F9zDark View Post
    for the PSP Sony would have to implement 2 screens
    *facepalm*

The only touchscreen device that I know of to have two screens is the DS, everything else has only one screen and only needs ONE screen. PDA's? One screen. iPhone? One screen. Nearly every touch screen device known to man? ONE SCREEN!

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post
    I'm a little more optimistic in my opinion. There is also a diagram indicating mass storage and other things relating to a portable media device. This could have a lot to do with the future of the PSP. And it could turn out to be the "dream machine" everyone always hopes SONY will design.

I just hope that with every new hardware revision of the PSP, the homebrew scene gets a jolt of excitement to try and create or port the amazing PSP homebrew over to the new PSP.
    PSP phone maybe

DS User

Quote Originally Posted by mike_jmg View Post
    PSP phone maybe
    http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C15630/

:P the site seems like BS in my opinion, never heard of that mag. It also has a Nintendo phone article so I'm thinking it's a mock up.

Edit: Although it does have some stuff I know to be legit like the Rogers articles.
    Last edited by ab88; July 2nd, 2008 at 07:43.

DCEmu Pro

Don't forget that Sony still have their Mylo and this patent could be with a new version of the Mylo. They already have somewhat of a touch panel on that, so it might be an upgrade from the current model. I'm not saying this wouldn't be amazing on psp, it's just that I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions just yet.

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by ab88 View Post
    http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C15630/

:P the site seems like BS in my opinion, never heard of that mag. It also has a Nintendo phone article so I'm thinking it's a mock up.

Edit: Although it does have some stuff I know to be legit like the Rogers articles.
    You do know what an online magazine is, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by http://mobilemag.com/about.php
    Mobile Magazine is a Vancouver Island-based online publication specializing in news and reviews on the latest in Automobile Technology, Wireless Devices, Gadgets and Portable Computing from around the world.

Mobile Magazine is owned and operated by Pilato Publishing Inc

WOW! That is a really neat idea!
    I'd love to see this put into a PSP2 of some sort. Something no one even thought about for a PSP2. People said touch screen but this... This is a whole new generation of touch screens! When the PSP2 comes out (9-10 years ) I will definitely like to see this in it. Better include dual analog sticks, r2 and l2, Much better WIFI, some other new original ideas and features, a PS2 emulator, and an affordable price. I've always been much more of a handheld fan over console fan so whenever there is a new and great handheld out there I seriously love it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information