Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cQuake Release 3 - Quake for DS

Blog Entries

NDS cQuake Release 3 - Quake for DS

elhobbs has updated his port of Quake for the DS, heres whats new:

7/08/08 changes

added sprite rendering

added double tap support for the touch screen. there is a cvar to control the sensitivity "ds_tap_time". 32728 is roughly one second. the default is 9000. 0 to disable.

fixed crash when loading saving games when a referenced entity has a higher number than the currently loading entity (thanks to thenewimpossibles for tracking this down)

fixed a crash during the finale (thanks to Sir_Voe for tracking this down)

fixed the display on the intermission screen

fixed the shaky weapon model (though it may be too steady now).

fixed some more menu stuff

allowed r_ambient to be changed in single player only version during deathmatch for playing against bots

probably some more but I do not remember...

Download Here and give feedback via comments

does this still require a slot to memory to play this?

DCEmu Newbie

If you mean a Slot 2 RAM Expansion, then yes.
    Memory can mean a large number of things.
    Now, that specific Random Access Memory, that's a different story.
    EDIT: That link is broken. Use this one instead: http://cquake.googlecode.com/files/cquake_070808.zip
    Last edited by jaybud4; July 9th, 2008 at 05:44. Reason: Fixed link.

DCEmu Newbie

Default Couple things don't work

Hey there, I'm having a problem with a couple things. The ds tap jump is supposed to be set, but when I double tap it tells me to press f4 to setup the ds tap. Also I can't find a setting to turn off the "auto center" option, when I am using the touch screen to look around and then I start walking, it auto centers the view instead of staying at where I was looking at. Makes it really annoying for MPH setup. I thought the "lookspring" setting was it but it doesn't seem to change anything. Other than that this is totally awesome, very smooth and almost exactly like the original. Thanks for all your effort! Makes us little leech gamers that don't know how to port things like this happy =)

DCEmu Newbie

- About the double tapping problem, put this line in your config.cfg :
    bind "DSTAP" "+jump"

- About auto center : clearly want to disable it too, but I don't know how yet

- @elhobbs : can you list all the DS-specific cvar you use, so we'll be able to fine-tune cquake to our personal taste ?
    I need to know how to specify DStouch sensibility in the autoexec.cfg, because default sensibility is too slow, and the "save settings" feature don't seem to work...

In case it could help someone, here's my config.ini (left handed) :
    bind DSSELECT "toggleconsole"
    bind DSSTART "togglemenu"
    bind "DSUP" "impulse 10"
    bind "DSDOWN" "+jump"
    bind "DSLEFT" "hunkprint"
    bind "DSRIGHT" "+right"
    bind "DSB" "+back"
    bind "DSA" "+moveright"
    bind "DSL" "+jump"
    bind "DSR" "+attack"
    bind "DSX" "+forward"
    bind "DSY" "+moveleft"
    bind "DSTAP" "+jump"
    And here's my autoexec.cfg :
    timedemo demo1
    ds_tap_time 32728
    r_ambient 80 <-- don't seem to work, even through console

DCEmu Newbie

What does r_ambient do?

DCEmu Newbie

r_ambient kind of act like a gamma level setting. The brightness slider ingame don't lighten up the scene but fade out the textures. at 100% all the objects are white. (not so bad effect though...)

Anyway, I think I found r_ambient must be specified in config.ini and not autoexec.cfg

I think I'll try to work with gtkradiant to create a map to see how cQuake handles custom maps and what can impact framerate. But I can't find site that explain the method to run custom map... Too much dead links...

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MrSkiz View Post
    r_ambient kind of act like a gamma level setting. The brightness slider ingame don't lighten up the scene but fade out the textures. at 100% all the objects are white. (not so bad effect though...)

Anyway, I think I found r_ambient must be specified in config.ini and not autoexec.cfg

I think I'll try to work with gtkradiant to create a map to see how cQuake handles custom maps and what can impact framerate. But I can't find site that explain the method to run custom map... Too much dead links...
    OK, thanks, um... speaking of custom maps could the rocket arena mod from quakeds be implemented into cquake? It should run heaps faster. I know its by a different author but single deatmatch, even with only one bot, rocks. im really desperate for a speed increase playing with the death match maps and yes i got ez flash...

In theory the mod should work, as long as cQuake supports mods. Mods don't have to be built specifically for the client they are using.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by trugamer View Post
    In theory the mod should work, as long as cQuake supports mods. Mods don't have to be built specifically for the client they are using.
    I'm talking about Simon Hall's QuakeDS, or more specifically his Rocket Arena mod, it's brilliant and i play it alot, particularly the deathmatch maps (map dm1-5) its the only single deathmatch player game on the DS that i know of but it plays slow against a CPU bot, even with EZ flash 5 RAM enabled speed hack.

I desperately want to play it full speed and when i played CQuake it was like wow! This is fast, plays smooth, imagine what the Rocket Arena mod would play like if it was added to this? There would (hopefully) be no lag and it would absolutely rock, being the closest thing to playing a multiplayer DM by yourself, i mean the way he coded the CPU's, they're A.I. is amazing, they can be tough bastards to kill, great challenge to kill.

So you can see why i really want theses two projects merged, im surprised no ones asked or thought of this, i have tried PM Simon Hall but i havent yet got a response. Its frustrating cos this has potential but its not being developed further. So if this could be coded in some how (with authors permission of course) i would be estatic. Single player deathmatches full speed! Yay!

btw please excuse my ignorance of programing, if this is all possible but im just an passionate ds gamer.

Oh yeah, cquake is awesome, cant wait for next version!
    Last edited by DSmanic!; July 13th, 2008 at 03:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information