Thread: New Shining Force Set For DS

Blog Entries

NDS New Shining Force Set For DS

Sega has an all new Shining Force game in development for the DS. The latest issue of Famitsu has a first report on Shining Force Feather.

In Shining Force Feather, players take control of main character Jin, a treasure hunter and wanderer. The game takes place 3,000 years following the war between the Shining Force warriors and enemy forces known as the Kyomu. That war is remembered primarily as artifacts, which is where Jin comes into the picture.

On one of his treasure hunts, Jin discovers Alfeen who, while looking like a young lady, is actually a machine. A remnant from the war of 3,000 years ago, Alfeen is used to control an air ship. The only reason she survived to modern times is that she was a backup control unit and was never put to use. Believing Jin to be her master, she powers up an air ship that was used during the Shining Force times.

This is where the story begins, with Jin and Alfeen traveling the world. Joining them is Bail, a centaur and childhood friend of Jin.

Feather will feature a turn-based strategic battle system with an overhead perspective. Select an enemy for attack, and the game switches to a side perspective. Here, the battle system takes on somewhat of an action feel as you press buttons to select from various actions.

In addition to solo attacks, the battle system will allow players to team up their forces for combination attacks.

The title represents somewhat of multi-part collaborative effort for Sega. While Yoichi Shimosato is serving as producer, Sega is entrusting development to Flight Plan, a studio known for the Summon Night series. Character designs are being handled by both Pako (Shining Force EXA) and Noiji Ito (Haruhi Suzumiya series).

Shining Force Feather is currently 60% complete and will see Japanese release in Spring of 2009.

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/907/907297p1.html

Sweet. I don't know why, but for some reason I've always been a fan of Shining Force, and none of the other similar series. Anyways, I hope it's a good as I expect it to be.

Thread Information