Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo DSi Will Come Loaded With Extra RAM

Blog Entries

NDS Nintendo DSi Will Come Loaded With Extra RAM

Nintendo's DSi will be loaded with more RAM than the DS Lite, according to Opera CEO Jon von Tezchner. In an interview with TechTree, the man responsible for web surfing on Nintendo's handheld said that Opera would be sure to use the memory boost “efficiently.” That's great and all, but what does this mean for games?

http://gizmodo.com/5060883/nintendo-...with-extra-ram

Not much I reckon, most dsi only games will probably only use the camera or be a download so bot need that much ram anyway. Of course the question is how much, my money is on 8MB.

Of course this could be good for homebrew, seeing as it'll probably be faster than current slot 2 expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by trugamer View Post
    Not much I reckon, most dsi only games will probably only use the camera or be a download so bot need that much ram anyway. Of course the question is how much, my money is on 8MB.

Of course this could be good for homebrew, seeing as it'll probably be faster than current slot 2 expansions.
    8 MB of ram of free ram or total? If I am not mistaken, the nintendo ds has 8 MB of ram total

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by luminouslight View Post
    8 MB of ram of free ram or total? If I am not mistaken, the nintendo ds has 8 MB of ram total
    I'm afraid you are mistaken. The DS has 4 MB of RAM by default, more with a memory expander. But even the Opera expansion pack offers roughly 8 MB of RAM as it is, bumping up the total to 12MB. So what gives with this 8MB of RAM?
    Of course, someone will come by and say I'm mistaken too and the Opera pack offers like 4MB or something.

I knew it!
    no wonder why they removed gba...its for the extra ram

DCEmu Rookie

"I knew it!
    no wonder why they removed gba...its for the extra ram"

This theory is not far off. The DSi does cram a camera, SD card slot, extra RAM, better speakers, a slightly larger screen, and a longer stylus...into a package that is close to the same size as the DS.

Of course, gamers are harder to tempt these days, so I, like others, will be waiting to see what is done with this hardware before determining whether or not to purchase it.

The reason I came with 8MB is I don't see them going off their powers of 2 and I don't see them wanting to put 16MB in.

I'm also not entirely sure if the RAM is added together like that or if the Opera browser only uses the expansion pack as RAM.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by trugamer View Post
    The reason I came with 8MB is I don't see them going off their powers of 2 and I don't see them wanting to put 16MB in.

I'm also not entirely sure if the RAM is added together like that or if the Opera browser only uses the expansion pack as RAM.
    Well, DSLinux adds it together, that's where I got my 12MB figure. And if they didn't add it together, the Opera browser for DS would be painfully slow due to lack of fast memory.
    Wait...

You can indeed add it together. Main RAM is much faster than slot-2 RAM, so my guess is that the DS's 4 MB of main RAM is used for running the Opera program itself, while the 8 MB RAM pack is used for storing downloaded images and holding them while displaying them on the screen.

There's been speculation that the DSi might even include up to 32 MB of RAM, which would allow them to offer GBA games off the downloadable service. This is pure guesswork though.

NDSi has 256mb or ram.If you think about it i think that when the ndsi get to be hackable a whole world of applications will open up for it.Remember what happen with quake 2 for nds...it was so slow just because of the ram..it required 16 mb of expantion ram and the ram was a lot slower than the internal one.256 of internal ram memory will boost the capability of homebrew and who knows if with the ndsi the who ported quake and quake 2 get to make quake 3 for the NDSi and plus the speed of the SD card which supports HCSD or something like that...WOOOOTTT just imagen!.Im going to get one when it come out on U.S.
    Last edited by blowbomber; November 8th, 2008 at 17:00.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information