Thread: DSi taken for a spin, wept over for lack of homebrew

Blog Entries

NDS DSi taken for a spin, wept over for lack of homebrew

Yes, you've seen the unboxing and all other manner of granular coverage for Nintendo's new DSi handheld, but now you can see the thing in action via the magic of YouTube. Embedded below is the requisite unboxing, a helpful browser speed test and a hopeless attempt at sticking in the R4 cart for a bit of homebrew. The good news is that the Japanese DSi fires up an English DS game just fine, so those slightly-confusing region lock concerns can be put to rest -- certain DSi-specific games won't work for everybody else, but the DSi fires up regular DS games from wherever with no problem. Import away!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/03/d...k-of-homebrew/

I think that Nintendo did the right thing. No R4 or M3 means pirates will be stalled, and perhaps forced to actually *GASP* buy a game.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by goshogun1 View Post
    I think that Nintendo did the right thing. No R4 or M3 means pirates will be stalled, and perhaps forced to actually *GASP* buy a game.
    Except for the fact that Nintento, at least for the moment, has no plans to remove the standard DS lite from market. So in reality, if someone wants to pirate games, they'll actually save money doing so...less expensive hardware and such. Nevermind the fact that flashcart makers are propbrably already looking into what exactly it'll take to make current/future carts work on the DSi.

My question is this...if I import a japanese DSi, does that mean i'll have access to the japanese ds-ware store through that dsi? Because...tha'd be kinda cool.

Thread Information