Thread: Scummvmds0-13-1-ftdigtest5

Blog Entries

NDS Scummvmds0-13-1-ftdigtest5

AgentQ has released a new beta version of ScummVM for the Nintendo DS:

Hi,

I've completed work on my build which supports external RAM packs. Using one of these devices, you can play Full Throttle and The Dig on your DS.

Both games run almost perfectly, but with slowdown in certain sections. Full Throttle is slow during the car driving section, while The Dig is slow in many places

The following types of slot-2 RAM device are supported:
    - Supercard
    - M3
    - Opera Browser Expansion Pack (untested)
    - G6 (untested)
    - EZ Flash

If you have a slot-1 card (one that fits in your DS slot, like an R4DS or an M3DS Real), you can load the data files from that, and use the RAM in slot-2 (GBA slot). Also, if you have a slot-2 card with an SD slot, you can load the files from the slot and use the RAM both in slot-2. To do this, just patch the ScummVM binary with the DLDI as normal, and then when the game starts, on the RAM device menu, choose the same device.

When you first start this build of ScummVM DS, you will need to select the type of RAM pack you have. This setting will be saved, and you won't be asked again unless you start ScummVM DS without the RAM pack, or with a different type of RAM pack inserted.

There are also some new features to go with this:
    - High quality stereo sound support: so you can listen to the fantastic soundtracks to both of these games! (the high quality audio checkbox in the options is greyed out, as the new mode is used all the time)
    - Brightness adjustment: This lets you brighten the game (using a gamma correction technique) to more easily see the dark graphics in The Dig on the original DS screen. Press select and click on the 'Graphics' tab, then adjust the brightness bar at the bottom with your stylus.
    - D-pad controls for the car driving section in Full Throttle. Press Select and tick the check box marked 'Car controls'. Then you can use D-pad left and right to steer, and A button to accelerate.

Issues:
    - The Supercard I have fails to start up sometimes. I'm not sure whether this is a general issue with Supercards, or just the one I have.
    - Some DLDI drivers don't work when a device is used both as RAM and for disk access at the same time. I had problems with my M3 lite, and narrowed it down to the use of DMA. If the driver uses DMA, it won't work with this build. I've prepared a new version of the m3sd_alt driver I was using which doesn't use DMA. You need to use this DLDI to avoid random crashes if you're using an M3 Lite.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Sweeeet!
    Hopefully it will support the Curse of Monkey Island some day now that external RAM packs are supported... that would just be frigging awesome.

So does this version only support the two games listed currently?

I'm at work right now and loaded it on my Supercard but the only games I had with me for SCUMM are neither of the two noted for this release. When trying to load Sam & Max for instance it just goes to a blank screen and never does anything.

Thread Information