Thread: Is The PSP Go! Too Small?

Blog Entries

psp Is The PSP Go! Too Small?

Article from Gizmodo:

I just finished groping the PSP Go! After a few minutes with the new handheld, I know why Sony is keeping the classic PSP intact.

The PSP Go! feels considerably smaller than the wider PSP—mostly because it is. And the feeling of actually playing is akin to a cellphone/PSP hybrid, a device like we expected to see from Ericsson for some time. Borrowing from Kotaku's game review process for a moment, here's my take on the PSP Go!:

What I Loved:
    • The chrome triggers are the perfect level of clicky, and they extrude from the Go's body at just the right amount.
    • With brushed metal, piano black and matte black, it's a nice looking machine in person with hardware that, for the most part, feels premium.

What I'm Not Sure About:
    • Both the D-Pad and main game buttons don't press down very much. Sure, they were responsive, but it barely felt like you were pushing them down. The feeling would take some getting used to.
    • The position of the single analog stick makes the device feel smaller than it really is (in a bad way). And it's just tough to use in its current, tiny-hand-intended system. I was left wondering, is the PSP Go! small, or are my hands just big?

What I Hated:
    • The start/select buttons are just a waste of space on the controller. They could have been stuck anywhere. Instead, they spite you, taking up the spot that the second analog should be. Also, these two buttons simply don't feel as premium as the rest of the device.

We didn't get to open and close the Go, and with the system tethered for security, we have no idea how it really feels to carry around and put in your pocket. But our first impression is that, even though it's not the latest and greatest, the older PSP 3000 will retain a following for the larger-handed gamers in the audience.

It seems like the go is targeted to the ipod generation in general and not so much the the gaming community.

Too small?
    I think I need to see it in real life but for me it seemed too big, I was expecting something the size of an Ipod touch and it looks a little bigger than that.

Don't really know, as I said, i'll have to see it in real life and feel it on my hands to create a valid opinion, my hands are small BTW

edit: scratch that, I just saw a video of a demonstration, and I think the size is right

Only thing I can complain now is that without a simple touchscreen you miss the point of sliding, It would've been nice If you could browse through the XMB, play music or something, without having to open it.

maybe a plugin could solve that haha, but only using custom firmware, too bad
    Last edited by mike_jmg; June 4th, 2009 at 04:45.

No plugin can magically turn a regular lcd in to a touch screen.

Have they shrunk the analogue nib for this model? If so then I'm already going to give this a miss. The current nib is unuseable as it is.

Why can't handhelds implement PROPER analogue sticks like you see on Dual Shock?

Thread Information