Thread: PS3's PSP emulator analysed - PSP Emulator for PS3

Blog Entries

General games PS3's PSP emulator analysed - PSP Emulator for PS3

PSP minis are now available to download and play on both the original target platform and PlayStation 3, an impressive feat achieved through the use of a software emulator added with the recent 3.15 version of the PS3 system software. Right now, Sony is working on full compatibility for all available minis, but a selection of them are currently available to try out now. Digital Foundry delved into its pockets and bought Heracles Chariot Racing, Echoes, Let's Golf, Stand o' Food and Breakquest for analysis.

Getting a fully-featured PSP emulator working on the PS3 is no mean feat but it is perhaps not surprising that Sony targeted the minis first: many of them are 2D and few of them really push the three-dimensional capabilities of the hardware. Based on our tests, it does very much suggest that the emulator is a work-in-progress with performance levels up against the same game running on PSP changing quite drastically according to the title you're playing.

Perhaps the first thing you notice when booting up a mini is the upscaling. While many of the open-source emulators out there like to offer the ability to run games natively in whatever resolution the user chooses, Sony's emulator stays with the original 480x272 and upscales accordingly, leaving small black border on all sides. Presumably this is the perceived "safe area" Sony has allocated to make sure that no precious game resolution slips into the overscan area of many displays.

Writing emulators is never easy, especially for relatively recent platforms and in many senses it's a miracle that Sony is able to run native code at anything approaching real-time speeds. However, it's clear that there is plenty of work to be done in getting the code up to scratch and ready for "show time" with the average, non-mini release.

You can fully expect Sony to be doing just that, based on past form. The PSone emulator built into the PSP firmware is a good indicator: just like the PSP code on show here, it's entirely software-based, and it has gradually evolved over time (though it has to be said, it was excellent from day one). So fingers crossed that these technical issues will be resolved and that the process of easily syncing game progress and high scores between console and handheld will be addressed.

For now, targeting the PSP emulation at the minis exclusively is a very smart move: it serves to put the range back into the spotlight, it'll drive some more sales based on the novelty factor, and it's a good proving ground for Sony to test its emulation code.

Longer term, once performance is more solid, you can bet that Sony will be offering full-fat PSP back catalogue games for download - perhaps when PSP2 is available, perhaps sooner. Having PSP software compatible with 30 million more devices potentially means big bucks for both platform holder, developer and publisher alike.

Full Article --> http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...sis-blog-entry

DCEmu Newbie

if PSP can be emulated by PS3, then PS2 can be emulated in an easier way(PSP>PS2). However, I don't think that we will see a full PSP emulator for PS3 until PSP2 comes out since it would decrease PSP sales.

Blog Entries

its interesting, lets hope a custom firmware is one day released and takes advantage of the emulator

At least a Psp emulator might increase Psp game sales and hopefully we get more games from it, i think it's about the only chance the Psp has to piggyback the Ps3's new found success, i mean i feel i should wash my mouth out with soap after the things i've said about Ps3 but i'm seriously considering getting one in the new year.
    Last edited by symbal; December 15th, 2009 at 01:21.

Thread Information