Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony dismisses rumours of PSP price cut

Blog Entries

psp Sony dismisses rumours of PSP price cut

News Via Gamesindustry

Following the emergence of rumours that a PSP price cut is imminent, a Sony representative has told GamesIndustry.biz that there are no plans to reduce the cost of the handheld at present.

The suggestion of a PSP price cut initially came from industry analyst P.J. McNealy, who told CNN Money: "There is a price cut coming in the second half of the year."

According to McNealy, the PSP "has lost momentum. Nintendo has had a great run since it launched the DS Lite and Sony needs to regain some ground." He believes that Sony will slash the price of the handheld in the US from US$199 to US$149 - bringing it closer to the DS price point of US$129.

But a Sony UK spokesperson told GI.biz: "Currently we have no plans to cut the price of the PSP at this time."

It's more likely that Sony will cut the price of the PlayStation 2, as predicted by other industry analysts. The console currently retails with an RRP of GBP 104.99 in the UK, but many retailers are already cutting the price to below the magic GBP 100 mark - and it's thought that Sony could well follow suit with an official price reduction in time for Christmas.

Ahh well, bleed us dry a bit more eh Sony

No.....you could have sold some more systems Sony

If they want to sell any they better do a price cut. Because numbers dont lie. NDS is crushing the PSP

I am afraid to admit, but things are looking grim for Sony, especially the amount of price that the PS3 is, it seems like Sony's heading Sega's way.......unfortunately...

sony is relying on their name by thinking like this they think many customers would overlook the fact that its expensive and then maybe make some profit well sony wake up.

if sony is stockpiling console hardware (PSP'S?) as i read in an earlier post about this price cut business,
    then maybe (I'm Sure this is just wishfull thinking) , they'll bundle one with the PS3?. I doubt it though but i'm sure giving them away and making money from the games would be a better business move than having all this unsold hardware. with the PS3 priced at $1000 (I'm in Oz, but don't worry, I'm english ) this would give people more of an incentive to fork out that kinda $$. My freind brought a phone for $600 and gotta free IPOD so it's not impossible, but knowing sony

that's a good marketing technique mcvader. i know i would much more likly to buy a PS3 like that.

haha yea right thats a good one a free psp ill believe it when i see it.

NINTENDO MIGHT TAKE OVA

NDSL+WII=250+

PSP+PS3=600+

NinTendo Is CHEAP!!

make psp cost less and games and more games:P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information