Thread: Wii Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight

Default Wii Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight

Don't know if anybody would be interested about this on here but...

I've used DOSBox-Wii and configured and compiled it to work and autoboot the classic gory Amiga/PC game 'Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight'. This version is the original PC game running via DOSBox-wii (1.5) which simply autoboots into the game and has the controls mapped and binded to the wiimote so that you no longer need to use a usb keyboard.

To run simply extract the moonstone zip file and place the moonstone folder into the apps folder on the wii and then load as normal via the homebrew channel.

Controls:
    Use the wiimote's d-pad to move your knight and the button's 1 to attack and 2 to bring up your magic item inventory screen. To skip the game's long intro press the - button. Only 1-player games currently work.

Thanks to Dborth and Carl Kenner for porting DOSBox to the Wii and to Todd Prescott, Rob Anderson and Mindscape for creating the original game on the Amiga and PC.

Moonstone is officially free Abandonware so there should be no problem sharing it.

For more infomation on this classic game (including tutorials on how to play) visit the excellent fan made site: http://www.moonstonetavern.co.uk/

Download (new version 1.1): http://www.mediafire.com/?5652sgz5p97gqq9

Enjoy
    Last edited by Baboon; December 24th, 2010 at 13:01.

DCEmu Regular

I am ultra interested. I think it is an awesome idea. I would be great if it supported 4 players and gamecube controllers/classic controllers. I will try it eventually. Greatest game ever.

Quote Originally Posted by royvedas View Post
    I am ultra interested. I think it is an awesome idea. I would be great if it supported 4 players and gamecube controllers/classic controllers. I will try it eventually. Greatest game ever.
    The d-pad on the classic controller should work fine but the joystick on it doesn't seem to recognize a couple of the diagonal inputs.

If I get the chance I'll have a tinker with the mapper again and get the 2nd player working correctly... but for now I was just happy to get it working for 1 player.

DCEmu Regular

well yeah I guess 2 player or "2 inputs" will be sufficient for 4 player as regards to the "logic" of the game - since 4 inputs does not make sense here without reprogramming the game. I am looking forward to testing this when I get a moment. The idea of making this game an easy accessible, straight-bootin' console-style game is awesome. It's like having amiga/pc VC games.

It would be awesome for the game "North and South" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by royvedas View Post
    It would be awesome for the game "North and South" as well.
    Its funny you mention that game as I've got the Atari ST version of North & South (which is pretty much the same as the Amiga game and much better than the DOS version) working great and automatically booting via the homebrew channel.

Again it currently only works for 1-player but the controls work great on the wiimote (unlike the dodgey mouse pointing in Wiiuae) as the buttons have also been hard coded to the wiimote (Attack and change/select your army is binded to 1 & 2 and - to retreat). It's running on a modified version of yohanes Atari ST emulator 'Hatari Wii' (thanks to Wiimpathy) but with added pad support (wiimote and GC).

If you'd like it then give me a shout?

edit: Also I've just updated the first post with a newer version and have made it so you can skip the game's long intro by pressing the - button.
    Last edited by Baboon; December 24th, 2010 at 13:01.

Thread Information