Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emergency PSP: Reviving the Handheld To Greatness

Blog Entries

psp Emergency PSP: Reviving the Handheld To Greatness

Via Gamedaily

The PSP is running second place to the Nintendo DS right now in the handheld wars. You can argue that point all you want, but it's fact. Thanks to the launch of the improved DS model (the Nintendo DS Lite) and a more affordable price, Nintendo's in a prime position to take a stranglehold of the handheld market This doesn't bode well for the folks at Sony, who put a lot of time and effort into making their debut handheld system the one to look for on the market for on-the-go gaming thrills.

But all is not lost. Sony may have lost the battle, but not the war. So we've decided to take a closer look at the situation and provide some advice as to how Sony can recover some of their lost ground and make the PSP the powerhouse it deserves to be.

Meanwhile, let's get through the tips...

1. Drop the UMD movies already. Look, Sony, you tried to establish your Sony PSP as an all-out entertainment machine, but let's be honest- the UMD movie is a lost cause. First of all, it's too expensive. Releases go anywhere from $15-$30, and the movies don't boast nearly as many extras as they do in DVD format. Secondly, if people want to watch movies on the go, they can snag a portable DVD player for around $100. Finally, studios, not to mention store chains, are losing veritable interest. UMD movies are being discounted for quick sale or dropped from shelves altogether in favor of more interactive entertainment, such as games or systems. This multimedia has run its course, and it was an interesting experiment, but UMD movies are the new Beta. There, I said it. Now drop it already.

2. Lower the system price. A drastic move? Yes. But a necessary one. You're about to enter the Christmas season with a handheld that's priced almost double the price of your PlayStation 2. Parents and their children will instead turn to the alternative, the much cheaper DS Lite, with their holiday dollars. So you'll need to compete with that by dropping the price of your basic unit once more. Yes, we know you knocked it down to $200. But $150- or even $130- looks more desirable, and may turn on more of the crowd you're seeking out. Sure, you'll eat a few bucks in hardware, but think about the rise in unit purchases, leading to more game purchases.

3. Fix the D-pad. Sure, you're already at work on a new prototype unit that will eventually replace the ultra-shiny PSP. But, for now, could a little something be done to fix up the D-pad so that it feels less strenuous? I don't see why we would need to use a cheap stick-on accessory that came with a Capcom or Namco game to get a more natural feeling out of our system, when a little rethinking in manufacturing can easily fix the error. We know you're reinventing the system as you know it- but that doesn't mean you can't tweak the current one.

4. Get more exclusive games. Part of the appeal of owning a certain game system is that it has a few exclusive titles that can't be played anywhere else. The PSP already has plenty of these, such as Daxter, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, and Pursuit Force, but now's the time to step up and get some deals made for some more big, exclusive games. And we don't just mean fun little compilations like EA Replay and Activision Hits. We mean BIG licenses. Make a deal with Square Enix to set up the next Chrono game for the little handheld. Talk with EA and get a new Burnout tailor-made for the PSP. See what I'm getting at?

5. Get more online friendly. We see that you're offering online play via Infrastructure with some titles and the ability to challenge players via Wi-Fi, but, really, you need to keep up with Nintendo. And with that, you need to set up some kind of gamer-friendly online network that not only allows players to hook up in more of your first-party games, but does so for very little price- if any at all, for that matter. And make it more user friendly than the interface you have now. Instead of just setting up Hot Spots, make accessibility something of a snap, like the DS does. Trust me, you'll thank us when we're gathering Dark Mirror leagues and taking part in NBA 07 tourneys.

6. Make PS1 downloads reasonably priced. "Riiiiiiiidge Racer!" OK, so the PS1 download service that you're going to be introducing probably won't revolutionize the game scene. But you've still got a cavalcade of classic gamers who will take advantage of getting Gran Turismo on their system just to race against others. But please, please, PLEASE- make your download service easy to afford. Set up a point system for a cheap dollar trade-off, introduce pre-paid cards for cheap, and even set up an earning system to get bonus points to add to your profile. Paying $15 for Ridge Racer is not even close to acceptable, especially when I can find the original PS1 game for $2. Time to make these games shine for a fraction of the cost. You'll get more downloads this way, I assure you.

7. Get a better marketing campaign. Yes, talking hairballs can be fun. But we're more about the mice listening to cheese (OUTSIDE!) and the diversity of ads. I haven't even seen an ad yet for Dark Mirror, one of the system's best games this year. Sony, you need to introduce a better, more visceral marketing campaign that talks more about the games and less about dialogue involving having all the women in the world falling in love with you. Show us what you got with games, not a smarmy tongue. We already know you can talk up a storm.

8. Get the multi-colored units out quicker. Want to turn on more gamers? A plain black system probably won't get it done by itself. We know that you've revealed multiple-colored systems over at the Tokyo Game Show, so now you can surprise us by getting them on shelves for a good price. Sure, I'll take a sporty blue PSP for $150. It almost reminds me of the old Sega Sports Game Gear unit, but much, much sleeker.

Hope these tips helped you out, Sony. Trust your own instincts if you must, but following this advice will certainly make things easier for your Christmas season. Good luck to you guys.

Agree or not tell us via Comments

I would probably buy another psp if it was blue and downgradeable. I think i agree with all the points madebut i think sony are starting to get more exclusive games released I know of a few games ill be buying for the psp in the coming weeks.

I completly agree with every single point made there (except the D-pad remodel). UMDs are too pricy, the PSP is too expensive compared to the DS, there aren't enough quality games, we need better online support, cheaper PSone game downloads, better ads, and more unit colors. What's wrong with the D-pad though?

Yeah Wragg, that would be awesome if all you said there could become reality. Is it me or Sony seems to be lazy with their PSP? They could make it no.1 with all the ressources they possess and end up making more money in the process.

Hmmm....it's very interesting to consider

One of my theories is that in Japan the DS is over popular due to Utada Hikaru (a famous japanese singer and tetris queen) starring in the adverts.

However, I wouldn't say the PSP is completely falling downhill. Consider that the DS was release a year earlier than the PSP (the DS had a head start in the market).

However let's consider this:
    The PSP is a 'multimedia' system. It plays music, videos, etc. A handheld console aims to deliver gameplay, not multimedia!

The popularity of PSP homebrew is far superior than the DS homebrew mainly due to the fact that you only have to use the 32mb MSDuo bundled with the PSP when first purchased. To utilise DS homebrew you require to purhcase adapters online and then choose which versions to pick for the flashcartridge. Although the PSP is similar regarding firmwares, it is a different matter and now one can run homebrew on all firmwares except for 2.8 and 2.81 (2.8 does not have kernal mode at this time).

On the subject of hardware, the PSP is an overpriced system whilst the DS is cheaper.

Regarding software, the DS is a system to be left alone whilst the PSP is constantly being used to run retail games from the memory stick or streamed from a computer via USB. This points out Sony's big hole in software sales.

Me and my brother own both a DS and a PSP each. I admit that the PSP homebrew scene is enormous and offers a big selection. My DS remains abandonned in the cupboard (yet I plan on using it for the new zelda and pokemon titles).

I wouldn't say the PSP is a failure (not outside of Japan), but the DS seems to be selling better than the PSP everywhere...

And regarding the PSX titles on PSP..I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were to release the titles on UMD disc. If they dare to release it as an application for the system, coders will rip it apart and customise it for the scene thus provoking sony even more.

I think the PSP appeals to the older market more than the DS. The DS is more likely to be an a younger kids wish list than a PSP. PSP is more complicated and they would shy away from it. DS is full of family fun games and big name games galore, so it appeals to more in that sense as well. I myself love my PSP and wouldnt trade it for anything.

I agree w/ everything, i mean espeacilly the online stuff because i mean this is a single player gaming device and whats the fun in never being able to play against other people because u dont have a router or the game wont let you. I mean every time i get a online game i get excited but i go and try out multyplyer mode and i cant because of the security on my router!

I mean come on Sony, give us somthing worth 250 bucks!

[QUOTE=JD/]I would probably buy another psp if it was blue and downgradeable./QUOTE]
    lol mines blue and downgradeable

but yea sony should lower their price on the psp!

but yea sony should lower their price on the psp!
    AMEN

HereHere. Cheap ps1 games would almost make me update my firmware...ALMOST

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information