Thread: Metareview: Children of Mana

Blog Entries

NDS Metareview: Children of Mana

Via DSfanboy

During the great catastrophe that occured in Illusia, many lost their life. The Mana Tree, a staple of the Mana series, has now become corrupt with its own power, causing countless monsters to roam the lands. Mana pillars have also erected across Illusia, tasking the player with raising the Sword of Mana and freeing the trapped Guardian Spirit within. This is the only way the Mana Tree and Illusia can return to peaceful state it enjoyed before the catastrophe.

IGN - 80%: "Hardcore gamers expecting to get a sequel to the popular Secret of Mana series from the days of the Super Nintendo are going to be let down purely based on the dungeon crawler design of the game. For fans of games like Blizzard's Diablo, or repeat gamers that enjoyed Sword of Mana despite its harsh criticism and apparent downsides, Children of Mana is a keeper. The action is solid, the amount of character customization is definitely robust, the amount of side quests and bonus missions to partake in will ensure players that the adventure isn't over too quickly, and the game is simply beautiful on an audio/visual level. As far as hack-n-slash RPGs go, Children of Mana is one of the best we've seen on a handheld, and for dungeon crawler addicts Square Enix has definitely hit the spot."
    Gamepro - 80%: "Ultimately, Children of Mana is wonderfully rendered, but when compared to Secret of Mana's engaging narrative, Children of Mana's sparse and slow story falls short. The game is still fun, especially if you enjoy dungeon-crawling and strategically nuanced battles. Fans of the Mana series should check it out, but don't hold your expectations too high."
    Games Radar - 60%: "It's a shame that combat in Children of Mana is so mindless. The ingredients are there to make this a really excellent action RPG. Unfortunately, it wasn't cooked for long enough and you're left with an action RPG with great RPG elements and trite action. There are lots of things this game does right, but ultimately it fails to live up to its potential."

boo for Games Radar. shame on them. giving it 60%. who do they think they are.

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by kcajblue View Post
    boo for Games Radar. shame on them. giving it 60%. who do they think they are.
    Have you actually played this game for more than a few hours? It's not a very good game.

60% is maybe a little harsh, but it's certainly not worth a "Who do they think they are?" comment. I'd actually say that 80% is way too generous. Yeah, the graphics are nice, but there's slowdown to go with it (which ought to be unacceptable these days for a 2D game). The gem system is also cool and fairly fun, but the majority of gems in the game are completely worthless. Plus the magic system BLOWS, to the extent where I mostly gave up on using magic. I think I used Wisp for the whole game, just to get a little extra healing when I needed it.

i have played the game. i know it doesnt deserve 100% and i guess 80% is a little too high. but it doesnt deserve 60%. 60% is low for that game and should have more.

It's a definite 40% in my book. I put it down after an hour and went back to playing FFXII.... which I put down after an hour and went back to playing Oblivion, ha

DCEmu Rookie

well.. i kept on playing... and at lvl 24... some of my mates lvl 70.. hehe...

Thread Information