Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playstation Downloads Now Available!

Blog Entries

psp Playstation Downloads Now Available!

Info from Chubigans

That's right, they're here! Here's a list of what's available right now to download from your PS3 to your PSP:

Crash Bandicoot (478mb, $5.99)
    Tekken 2 (535mb, $5.99)
    Hot Shots Golf 2 (157mb, $5.99)
    Cool Boarders (283mb, $5.99)
    Syphon Filter (385mb, $5.99)

How it works

Upon purchasing a game, you must connect your PSP to download the file (it does not save onto the PS3 hard drive). There are two files: the game (the huge file) and the license (100kb).

The download doesnt take all that long...its the install process that kills ya. It was nearly twenty minutes before the install process was done. Thankfully the license took about five seconds to download and install, so no problems there (the game does not run without a license, giving a "you must activate the system" error).

You know that Certificate Utility icon new in 3.00? This is where the license is kept, with "Crash Bandicoot- No Time Limit" displayed underneath (bringing up Information allows you to see when it expires and how many hours are left...both "never" in this case). Perhaps there will be a way to rent games later in the future? (By the way, you cannot back up these games on the PS3 as far as I can tell...you can, however, back them up on a PC and swap them out if you lack space on your memory stick).

When you boot up a PS1 game, it gives you all kinds of warnings...much like Nintendo does at the start of the DS Lite. Gah! Once you load the game you can press Home and a new screen pops up...from here, you can select the screen size, select four different types of control emulation methods (all of which are pretty interesting, with the analog stick functioning as L2 and R2) and you can even view box art and the original instructions included with the game, in it's full black and white glory (complete with the usual warning pages and notes pages...hah!)

Saving looks to be done internally via a virtual memory card...I havent been able to save yet, but the load doesnt bring up the standard overlay that the PSP usually uses. Unfortunately you cant save your state anywhere like an emulator can...too bad, because it would have been nearly perfect.

Another odd note, and Im not sure if its just with Crash, is that the game doesnt take up the whole screen even when using Full Screen...there are small black bars on the top and bottom. Could be just the game, not sure.

Here are the four configs for controls (universal for every game):

Face Buttons are all the same.

TYPE ONE: Analog stick left and right is L2 & R2, L and R emulate L1 and R1 obviously.
    TYPE TWO: L and R on the PSP simulate L2 and R2, with the analog stick left and right emulating L1 and R1. Pressing the stick upwards is L1+R1.
    TYPE THREE: L and R = L1 and R1; Analog Stick Up + L=L2, Analog Stick Up + R=R2, Analog Stick Down= L2 + R2
    TYPE FOUR: Analog stick emulates digital pad, with the digital pad on the PSP emulating like the analog stick does in Type Two. Hope that makes sense.

So there you go. Ill have more info later in the week but thats the gist of it...and the games look great on the system. More impressions to come!

the golden question: anyone tried it with the new devhook?

DCEmu Rookie

Awesome news. I really don't feel like rebuying all these games though... Wish I could just dump and play them myself!

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhawk22 View Post
    Awesome news. I really don't feel like rebuying all these games though... Wish I could just dump and play them myself!
    Soon, my friend. We'll have some good PS1 Emus coming out soon and be able to play the games free of charge.

DCEmu Newbie

i wish i can play psone games now! too bad i can't afford a ps3

DCEmu Rookie

Yeah, what's up with forcing people to buy a PS3 to run PS1 on the PSP. It's downright retarded. I can't afford spending 600 to just rebuy games I already own.

F9zDark, I hope so, I have been watching and waiting for a while, PS1 emulator would really round off the PSP homebrew scene.

King of killed the_eternal_dark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhawk22 View Post
    Yeah, what's up with forcing people to buy a PS3 to run PS1 on the PSP. It's downright retarded. I can't afford spending 600 to just rebuy games I already own.

F9zDark, I hope so, I have been watching and waiting for a while, PS1 emulator would really round off the PSP homebrew scene.
    I don't know what is more retarded, the fact that the PS3 is actually $600 or the fact you have to have on to play older PS1 games.

PS1P is pretty good for right now, and plays FFVII (just so you know). It may not be full speed yet, but it is well on its way to doing so.

Nice. Just in time for Devhook version .51.

to bad it doesnt work with the devhook 51 no new games work with it african safari still no go and sony psone emu games dont work either

DCEmu Legend

You know I almost forgave SONY for making it required to own a PS3 in order to use PS1 downloads because I figured you could store the PS1 games on the PS3 and maybe even play PS1 downloads wirelessly using WiFi.

Now come to find out that it doesn't even save the PS1 game to the PS3 HDD is another slap in the face from SONY.

Now I'm even more for a homebrew solution to PS1 emulation than ever.

You can't help but think to yourself, "would a huge company like SONY really be so dumb?"

I want to believe SONY has a plan and good reasoning, but its beyond belief at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information