Thread: Blu-ray to copy films to laptops

Blog Entries

ps3 Blu-ray to copy films to laptops

via eurogamer

Blu-ray DVDs are to include a feature that will allow copies of films to be transferred to laptops or other devices.

It's an effort by Sony to gain wider acceptance of its new format and, more importantly, rival Microsoft's HD-DVD technology.

Speaking at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week, head of Sony's home entertainment unit, David Bishop, indicated that we'll see this feature soon.

"It's not currently part of anything on our current release schedule, but we'll probably roll it out sometime this year."

Which sounds rather familiar. Take with a pinch of salt.

Blu-ray famously holds more than five-times as much data as a normal DVD, and Sony have already claimed that games are filling the impressive 25GB capacity. What exactly are they filling it with? We can only hazard a guess.

Er...technically, HD-DVD is Toshibas baby, not Microsoft. Sure, Microsoft are one of the main promoters...but hey, I'm just being picky!

I really hope this comes about, this could be a really nice tool for sony in these cloudy times. i know it would help sway me when deciding between the blueray version and the dvd version of a movie.

DCEmu Legend

Resistance currently fills 16gbs of a Blu-Ray disc; now whether or not this is dummydata I have no idea. Originally it was at 22gbs but the PAL cutscenes were dropped since they developed an NTSC to PAL converter and put that in place of the PAL movies.

Im Liking the Blueray.. Sony, once again battling it out for formats. Remember the VHS VS Betamax. LoL.. But Sony Will Win and Its funny when they think that filling the entire Blueray DVD with Data is cool.

Not even close.
    Gameplay rules the roost.

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Miria View Post
    Im Liking the Blueray.. Sony, once again battling it out for formats. Remember the VHS VS Betamax. LoL.. But Sony Will Win and Its funny when they think that filling the entire Blueray DVD with Data is cool.

Not even close.
    Gameplay rules the roost.
    Yeah gameplay matters, which Resistance does really well and it also has a story. But truth be told, if PS3 launch titles are already making use of BluRay's capacity (Resistance wouldn't fit on a DVD... Hell it wouldn't even fit on an HD-DVD) then that just shows how important BluRay is to the success of the PS3.

Thread Information